New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was up in Gander Mountain in Dickson City, PA yesterday. They had lots of ammo but also had pretty high prices. They even had 22LR, about 20-25 bricks each of Federal 325 round and 525 round, value packs. Oddly enough, no .35 Remington. Would be worth a stop in there if you live up that way, or are otherwise in the neighborhood, and need some ammo you have not been able to find.

Same for Dicks Sporting goods except they did not have any 22 rimfire.

Gander Mountain over in Middletown, NY was also loaded with lots of ammo but again no 22LR, 22WMR (except snake-shot for both) and no .35 Rem that I could find.

All the best,
Glenn B

·
Registered
122 Posts
Gander does seem to get a lot of .22 in.. The closest Gander to me is hour or so away and for some reason just got a flyer from them and it was loaded with several kinds of .22lr.. Thankfully I been getting it locally easily so don't need to go hour out of way to get it..

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Gander will also let you order online and pick up in the store - with free shipping. They've been posting some .22 lately also.

·
Banned
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gander will also let you order online and pick up in the store - with free shipping. They've been posting some .22 lately also.
That is one of the most ludicrous sales ploys ever. Of course someone can order online and pick up in the store without paying shipping. Why would anyone pay extra for shipping if picking up the item in the store since the item is not being shipped to you in the first place? They must truly believe people are brainless to offer that as an incentive to make a purchase from them when their online and store prices are the same.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
That is one of the most ludicrous sales ploys ever. Of course someone can order online and pick up in the store without paying shipping. Why would anyone pay extra for shipping if picking up the item in the store since the item is not being shipped to you in the first place? They must truly believe people are brainless to offer that as an incentive to make a purchase from them when their online and store prices are the same.
It may be nuts, but I'll have 2 325 round boxes of .22 waiting there for me next week at regular retail price, and I won't have to pay an FFL to receive it for me.

Other retailers do charge for this service. Its nice that Gander doesn't.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
You can do the same and pickup at a Gander or Cabela's in PA once Cuomo is reelected and the background check system for ammo comes into fruition.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
You can do the same and pickup at a Gander or Cabela's in PA once Cuomo is reelected and the background check system for ammo comes into fruition.
Way to stay positive!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
You can order cases of 22 lr ammo and have it waiting on you when you get there . With the hit and miss of 22 , this is a good deal . Beats getting all the way there and finding out there is no ammo today ( I have to drive 60 miles one way to the store so it's a plus for me !

·
Banned
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You missed my point which was they are making it sound as if you are getting free shipping on an item you are buying in store, that they sell at that same price in store anyway. In addition, I figure you guys are too young to remember calling a store and asking - do you have this in stock and then asking them to hold so many for you. It's nothing new and the "deal" part of it is nothing good. Yes it is good you can order it to pick up in the store but you should be able to do that over the phone too as it had been for years.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
They didn't have any white box .38 or much .38 for that matter in Kingston. Loads of 9mm, .45!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
You missed my point which was they are making it sound as if you are getting free shipping on an item you are buying in store, that they sell at that same price in store anyway. In addition, I figure you guys are too young to remember calling a store and asking - do you have this in stock and then asking them to hold so many for you. It's nothing new and the "deal" part of it is nothing good. Yes it is good you can order it to pick up in the store but you should be able to do that over the phone too as it had been for years.
In this case, you are getting free shipping. The orders are filled from their central warehouse, not the local store, then Fed-Ex'ed to the store.

You might be able to get a small shop to hold something for you with a phone call, but the big-box stores won't. And good luck finding any .22 on the shelf for them to hold.

·
Registered
901 Posts
You are correct. They will hold socks and pants for you to pick up but not ammo.
Why store it out back for a few days hoping that you'll come in for it when it'll get sold at the counter today. for sure.

When I worked at Bass Pro, they put stuff in the "hold area" for days, sometimes weeks. If you called asking about a certain item, the inventory said XX were avalable.so thats what the associate told you was on hand. Some people asked to have items put on 'HOLD" alot did not.
If they were all on "hold" out back, people got pissed when they drove 2 hours ( nobody lived nearby, of course) and the item could not be found.

Also, the "Ship to store" thing actually hurts the local store somewhat. They did not get credit for the sale if it was made online.
The managers bonus on amount of sales. If $10 000 was shipped to store, they didn't get paid on that amount.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts