New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
N.Y. governor wants IDs on shell casings - UPI.com

It's no surprise that Cuomo wants microstamping and other bills passed. But now the Senate is on board and "open to passing more stringent gun laws". The Senate was our last line of defense against turning this state into New California.

I joked about getting out before, but now, I'm dead serious. I'm selling most of my stuff and submitting my resume to Vermont and Pennsylvania. First chance I get, I'm joining the thousands of other young people in the mass exodus of this state. If you're smart, you'll join me.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I guess I dont understand something. I am not even going to get into how microstamping will increase costs and all of that. Isn't microstamping really the same exact thing as cobis was except they will look at stamping instead of marks on shell? So if Cobis didnt solve any crimes then how will microstamping be anything other then a waste of money like cobis?

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
No sense jumping ship over this bill. First and foremost, it's not a lock being passed into law, and may never become law. Secondly, it will face opposition from lobbyists as well as current NYS Assemblyman and Senators. It's a useless measure and hopefully others will knock some sense into those in power who see the bill as being a "win-win" no matter which side of the 2A argument they support.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
N.Y. governor wants IDs on shell casings - UPI.com

It's no surprise that Cuomo wants microstamping and other bills passed. But now the Senate is on board and "open to passing more stringent gun laws". The Senate was our last line of defense against turning this state into New California.

I joked about getting out before, but now, I'm dead serious. I'm selling most of my stuff and submitting my resume to Vermont and Pennsylvania. First chance I get, I'm joining the thousands of other young people in the mass exodus of this state. If you're smart, you'll join me.
Yeah my wife and I are planning to move also. I have put up with NY nonsense long enough, and it's mainly because of the mis-managed NYC. Taxes and stupid gun laws are two good reasons, but the fact that NYC has so much influence in the way this state is handled is the main one. I believe that NY will soon catch up with Kalifornia as being the last choice for those looking for a place to move to.

This micro-stamping fiasco has been analyzed and shown to be totally unworkable, just like COBIS. Trying to resurrect a dead body shows just how desperate the politicians are to get votes. They can't find any really logical and common-sense reasons to restrict gun ownership, so they make stuff up and rely on hashed-over arguments and re-new the old emotional appeals that they tried to rely on years ago. What a joke! Anti-gunners, GET A LIFE!

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
"laser-etch identification marks onto shells" Why do I feel that the people that want this the most don't even understand what it is they want

·
6,795 Posts
Apparently this wont cost NYS a cent. This is from the memo part of the bill.

FISCAL IMPLICATIONS: This legislation will not impose new costs on the state of New York. No new database is required. The certification process contained in the bill is entirely industry based. Manufacturers will incur minimal costs to adopt the new technology.

Somehow I find it hard to believe it wont cost NYS any money if this goes into effect.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
If this passes I have a feeling all the thugs will want revolvers, better make them illegal!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This isn't just about microstamping. The Senate is now open to ALL gun control bills, including Gianaris' bill that would:

- Limit handgun purchase to 1 per month.
- 10 day waiting period for all firearms purchased. Inncluding shotguns and rifles.
- Background checks for all gun sales. Even private face-to-face sales. Don't ask me how they plan to enforce this, but the implications are terrifying.
- All ammo and firearms sales must be reported to NYS DOCriminal Services within 24 hours.
- Ammo sales to permitted dealers only. This means no ammo over the internet or from out of state dealers.
- Mandatory safety classes for handgun permit applicants. These will either be funded by the applicants themselves, or through higher state taxes. Either way, we're footing the bill.

Combine all of that WITH microstamping. Also, Remington, Kimber, and other New York gun manufacturers have stated that creating new assembly processes for microstamping would cost them a fortune, regardless of how the anti's try to spin things, and rather than comply with these regulations and pass the extra costs to the customer (us), they will pack their bags and leave. This will affect out of state manufacturers as well, because they would have to comply with state laws if they want to sell to NYS, which they more than likely won't. This, combined with the Gianaris bills, will make firearms extremely difficult to obtain and very expensive. This is how they plan to create a state-wide gun ban without actually making one. It will be just like California, and it opens the door to future regulations, just like how California is now fighting a bullet-button ban AND a ban on all semi-automatic rifles.

I'd say this is a perfectly valid reason to declare that S has officially HTF.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'd already be back in PA if I could figure out how to keep my permit, since some others have been able to move and keep theirs.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
If this passes I have a feeling all the thugs will want revolvers, better make them illegal!
LOL...either that or the thugs will become tidy neat freaks and actually pick up their brass after a crime spree. Microstamping might even spark some interesting perp/victim conversation:

"Lay still so I can finish you off, but give me a minute so I can pick up all my brass. That cap I busted in your shoulder...did you happen to see where the casing landed, MF?!?!"

·
6,795 Posts
I'd already be back in PA if I could figure out how to keep my permit, since some others have been able to move and keep theirs.
If you want to keep your permit and move out of state its simple. Just report your new address your moving too to your county clerk. You dont have to turn it in by law.

The law does not provide for non residents to OBTAIN permits in NYS but you already have your so thats not an issue. Granted some counties will tell you that you have to turn in your permit but I would say no without an official order to do so. Then you could take the judge to court for taking away your permit without any cause. Moving out of the state would have to be the lamest excuse for taking back a permit. But it is NYS so they may try.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
anyone see the commercial:

*NYS is open for business*

there business is mining, mining your bank account for every penny they can find and they want to control every aspect of your life.

To bad not one of these jerkweed politicians wants to control crime.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
In NYS they have mandatory safety classes for pistol permits anyway.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Any state assemblyman or senator that votes for this needs to voted out of office ASAP.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I wonder how they will handle the millions of rounds of un-microstamped ammo already in the state

You gotta prove your ammo is pre-ban now too

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I wonder how they will handle the millions of rounds of un-microstamped ammo already in the state

You gotta prove your ammo is pre-ban now too
I thought micro stamping was from the firing pin?

·
6,795 Posts
It is on the firing pin and something else. The firearm needs to be able to place atleast 2 stamps on the shell casings.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
IT sounded to me like this was going to be different, they were going to be recording a microstamp on the casing that is traced back to your purchasing the ammo

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Apparently this wont cost NYS a cent. This is from the memo part of the bill.

FISCAL IMPLICATIONS: This legislation will not impose new costs on the state of New York. No new database is required. The certification process contained in the bill is entirely industry based. Manufacturers will incur minimal costs to adopt the new technology.

Somehow I find it hard to believe it wont cost NYS any money if this goes into effect.
It won't cost the state any money but it wll cost the gun manufacturers to re-equip their production lines (assuming they don't flip NY the bird and just refuse to sell any guns to NY) who will then pass that cost on to the end buyers.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts