New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Sorry, I'm pretty new to everything guns. I've been talking with some buddies who tell me it is near impossible to get a full carry in westchester county unless you are LE/retired LE or military. Just wondering how true this is/if you can get a full carry permit in westchester as a westchester county resident if you are a regular law abiding citizen.
Again, sorry if this is a dumb question or thread. Wondering how common these permits are

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Only retired law enforcement. Military means nothing. There was a lawyer who sued because even he couldn't get one.

Move to the next County right above you if you want a full carry.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Can't speak to your question, but the only dumb question is literally the one not asked. Now ignorant questions on the other hand... at any rate from one newbie to another, welcome! :cool:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Regular - law abiding citizen...yes it can happen, got mine a couple years ago. Not LE, not military.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Johnnymo got lucky, he is the exception, not the rule. There is 1 pro2a judge in westchester that may sign off on it, but there is no guarantee you would get him. The rest of them are anti gun democrats. Most people do not get unrestricted carry.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Good luck getting a full carry in westchester. Just know that if I ever stop you (for traffic) I won't give a crap about anything pistol related unless you're pointing it at me lol... (That may be hyperbole but you get the idea).

I've come across numerous drivers holding pistol permits and the only time I asked about it was a guy I had to unfortunately impound his car....and I only asked if he had it with him. (He was technically arrested and released with an appearance ticket).

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's the key...A couple years ago.
It was Oct 2012 - not exactly that far off - I totally understand where everyone is coming from and yeah the whole "just cause" thing sucks, but I honestly don't think I am that much of an execption to the rule. I was just persistent and factual with my request.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Or, you know someone, or ............. I know one person who got unrestricted, and another in the process right now, neither is a cop or military. Won't divulge how, to protect the persons involved.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It was Oct 2012 - not exactly that far off - I totally understand where everyone is coming from and yeah the whole "just cause" thing sucks, but I honestly don't think I am that much of an execption to the rule. I was just persistent and factual with my request.
That's pre Sandyhook and the safe act. Not saying it's impossible, just no where the same as it was.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I know someone who got it that is related to my dog's uncle's step father in law but I won't divulge any information on how he got it, what judge gave it to him, or what was written in the letter to the judge.

You guys figure that out on your own.

I have to protect the person at the expense of everyone here even though I need not mention his name.

:bang:Roll eyes....

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Im a nra certified pistol i structor, rso, and ive taken a handgun class that covers article 35. I have a clean record, im a husband, father, home owner, tax payer, etc.. no orders of protection,and even a clean driving record... my request for unrestricted carry was DENIED by judge dibella. There is no justifiable reason for my denial besides the bs "just cause" clause they hide behind to deny people their RIGHTS for their own ideologies.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Whats up johnnymo!

Its no secret that the full carry is lightly issued.
I believe most Target-Hunting or "restricted" PP holders approach for the "full carry" is wrong.
The way I see its not that I have been a good citizen, clean license, NRA member, WCFOA member, EMS, etc etc etc. That is all good but its missing the most important part.
Has anyone ever thought about what those "restrictions" are? Please tell me where someone can find these guide lines are so the restriction is not violated.
How can someone be sure that they are not violating the "restrictions", again please tell me where I can find the wording that protects you from violating these restrictions...
Wake up all, your approach for the full carry is incomplete.

Oh and if any one wants to start another thread well here's the next one... If your permit says "target and hunting" or "target", what in the hell does that mean? What does the "word" target-hunting- mean? I need a completed English sentence... "this permit is restricted to hunting only"
And who has put this wording on the front of your permit... the county? Yes, they DO. Sorry they are not the issuing authority.
So, if you consider to apply or amend your permit for a full carry think about something very important. If you get denied, you will get a letter back from the issuing authority saying you have been denied and your permit is restricted to target and or hunting, etc- guess what my friend you have now enter the ****ed zone. Your permit is now officially restricted by the issuing authority.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I think you are thinking of that wrong. I don't think it matters if your restrictions are from the judge or the county if you violate them say goodbye to your permit. No jail time in either case, but your guns and permit will be gone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts