New York Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
I Submitted in here in Rockland on Friday. Spoke with the clerk who told me as far as they are aware may issue for "just cause" is still in effect because they're waiting for Albany to change the law. They're acting as if the Supreme Court riluling is a suggestion not an order to strike down the unconstitutional law.
They'll even give you a nice little paper saying as much if you go down to the clerks office yourself.
Anyway they said I could submit my request to the judge as normal and provide "just cause" so I did. I submitted and sited Self Defecnce and NYSRPA v. Bruen as my just cause.
Now we shall see what the judge decides to do.

I'll try to keep ya'll informed of what happens.
If they don’t give it to you. Contact FPC immediately. They are looking for licensees in Rockland, Westchester, Nassau, and Suffolk.

·
Registered
18 Posts
NY gun owners have been at the mercy of our politicians and judges for so long that we are now acting like emancipated slaves that are too afraid to move off the plantation. The Supreme Court has emancipated us and yet we are nervous about stepping out.

NY's new infringements will be taken to Court. We will not be denied our freedom any longer!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If this gets all the way to her desk to sign, those of us who already had a no restriction carry permit now get restrictions put on us that we never had before and more hoops to jump thru. The ones who now can get the original restrictions removed are not much better off due to the new restrictions.... where are you going to be able to carry concealed?

How are we all better off due to "winning" the case?

Looks like we all will get more restrictions....

·
Registered
126 Posts
If this gets all the way to her desk to sign, those of us who already had a no restriction carry permit now get restrictions put on us that we never had before and more hoops to jump thru. The ones who now can get the original restrictions removed are not much better off due to the new restrictions.... where are you going to be able to carry concealed?

How are we all better off due to "winning" the case?

Looks like we all will get more restrictions....
thats some selfish thinking ,it's going to be a wake up call for every gun owner in NYS especially the Fudd's when hunting season comes around and your rifle has to be put in a lock box that is welded to the frame of your vehicle .

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would like to think that asking one to: "fully describe your need for an unrestricted firearm license" would be as unconstitutional and evoke the same amount of rage as asking someone "what is your skin color", or "what is your ethnicity" if you were to find those questions on any club or membership application.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took a similar approach, but the justification was slightly different and reference that I already had a permit issued under Penal code 400 subsection 2(f), and the administrative restriction of "Target" and requirement to show cause was unconstitutional, so I am requesting they remove the restriction. Worst case is I lose the $3 filing fee. Hopefully this will not take 6 months...that would be the making of another lawsuit I would imagine (disclosure, i'm not a lawyer). It seems like most other states are acquiescing to the Bruen decision (Maryland and NJ specifically). Can you pierce the immunity of a state/county judge in federal court for failing to follow the Bruen decision and depriving you of exercising your constitutional rights?
Just a f/u...the clerk's office cashed the amendment check on 7/1, or a week after receiving it. Was thinking of giving them a call later this week to see what information on timing I might be able to get out of them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just a f/u...the clerk's office cashed the amendment check on 7/1, or a week after receiving it. Was thinking of giving them a call later this week to see what information on timing I might be able to get out of them.
That's possibly good news keep us posted. I'm in westchester too and already submitted an amendment for a new Glock, I'm assuming I have to wait for that to come in before I request unrestricted correct?

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's possibly good news keep us posted. I'm in westchester too and already submitted an amendment for a new Glock, I'm assuming I have to wait for that to come in before I request unrestricted correct?
No you can submit for your full carry right now , I was up at the clerks office and the person told me that they have no idea how long it's going to take as the situation from the state changes daily so he said don't be surprised if I don't here anything for awhile he said they've been swamped with people changing over to full carry , he even notarized my amendment very nice of him to do that for me .

·
Registered
10 Posts
The rules seem to be the same as they always were here in Rockland County. I tried to get my restrictions removed on Friday and they told me the Supreme Court ruling was irrelevant. Until they here different from the Governor I still need to prove a "just cause" to carry and my reason can be denied by the judge if he feels it's not sufficient.
Some counties are not complying with the Supreme Court decision. I don't know what I expected to be honest, this is New York after all...
No. Rockland is offering an automatic removal of restrictions. Just fill out their form and pay them $5. Of course come Sept 1 and it will become a felony to carry anywhere in NYS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Where have you seen approvals? What county? Are there any threads on this forum showing success?
It was a tongue in cheek comment inferring that since the supreme court decision, all existing restricted licensees have since been approved for full carry, even in NYC. Most, if not all, of the subsequent restrictions on where one may carry (sensitive areas) decreed by Ms Hochul will be overturned.

It's the law now in NY including NYC no restrictions on pistol permits it'll take some time to issue the new permits not sure if you already have a permit wether or not you have to take the 16 hour class .
It’s not quite "the law" just yet. It is still incumbent upon the district court (lower court) who dismissed the petitioners initial complaint, and the court of appeals, which affirmed that lower court decision, to re-visit their initial decision and “repair” that decision and have it conform with the guidance provided to them by the supreme court.

Basically what the supreme court has said is, “sorry lower courts we have reviewed the case and your decision is incorrect and unconstitutional. "Contained in these one hundred forty some pages of our decision is why”. “Now take this information we have provided you and go back and fix what you screwed up”.

I cannot see a court allowing Ms Hochul to change the training requirements to obtain a pistol license and have those newly enacted requirements pertain to those who have already met all the required qualifications and who currently possess a pistol license. New applicants, maybe. Current holders, probably not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No. Rockland is offering an automatic removal of restrictions. Just fill out their form and pay them $5. Of course come Sept 1 and it will become a felony to carry anywhere in NYS.
Says who? I submitted my amendment form 3 weeks ago in person and paid with cash (I have my receipt). I sent a certified letter to the JUDGE which was received last Thursday, asking for an update and so far, I haven't heard a peep from them. Where are you getting the information from that Rockland County is actually removing restrictions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It was a tongue in cheek comment inferring that since the supreme court decision, all existing restricted licensees have since been approved for full carry, even in NYC. Most, if not all, of the subsequent restrictions on where one may carry (sensitive areas) decreed by Ms Hochul will be overturned.

It’s not quite "the law" just yet. It is still incumbent upon the district court (lower court) who dismissed the petitioners initial complaint, and the court of appeals, which affirmed that lower court decision, to re-visit their initial decision and “repair” that decision and have it conform with the guidance provided to them by the supreme court.

Basically what the supreme court has said is, “sorry lower courts we have reviewed the case and your decision is incorrect and unconstitutional. "Contained in these one hundred forty some pages of our decision is why”. “Now take this information we have provided you and go back and fix what you screwed up”.

I cannot see a court allowing Ms Hochul to change the training requirements to obtain a pistol license and have those newly enacted requirements pertain to those who have already met all the required qualifications and who currently possess a pistol license. New applicants, maybe. Current holders, probably not.
I disagree with your statement "It's not quite "the law" just yet."
Once the Supreme Court renders the ruling it's law. The administrative process for NY to make the changes is there issue but if anyone tries to enforce these laws that the Supreme Court has ruled unconstitutional I'd expect a civil rights lawsuit to follow. The SCOTUS decision reversed the lower court ruling and remanded it back to them to make the corrections in accordance with the Supreme Court ruling. They can't drag their feet and continue to enforce the unconstitutional law.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Says who? I submitted my amendment form 3 weeks ago in person and paid with cash (I have my receipt). I sent a certified letter to the JUDGE which was received last Thursday, asking for an update and so far, I haven't heard a peep from them. Where are you getting the information from that Rockland County is actually removing restrictions?
From the pistol clerks office. They are handing out amendment forms. Of course even without the form SCOTUS has by their ruling included self defense as a permitted used.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts