New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
So what's the thought on the process to get your license adjusted to a full carry conversion in places like Westchester County?

Do we fill out the paperwork and just request full carry? Jochul posted a tweet basically saying that "the rules don't change," (which is absolutely comical), but posted the NY website which quietly implies that it does.

Reason for full carry on the form "need for self-defense"

• As of the U.S. Supreme Court’s Bruen ruling, only the proper cause requirement to conceal carry is no longer applicable and ordinary citizens are deemed to have a self-defense basis for applying for a concealed carry permit.
The rules seem to be the same as they always were here in Rockland County. I tried to get my restrictions removed on Friday and they told me the Supreme Court ruling was irrelevant. Until they here different from the Governor I still need to prove a "just cause" to carry and my reason can be denied by the judge if he feels it's not sufficient.
Some counties are not complying with the Supreme Court decision. I don't know what I expected to be honest, this is New York after all...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Following . In rockland county and want to know how to maneuver this issue .
I Submitted in here in Rockland on Friday. Spoke with the clerk who told me as far as they are aware may issue for "just cause" is still in effect because they're waiting for Albany to change the law. They're acting as if the Supreme Court riluling is a suggestion not an order to strike down the unconstitutional law.
They'll even give you a nice little paper saying as much if you go down to the clerks office yourself.
Anyway they said I could submit my request to the judge as normal and provide "just cause" so I did. I submitted and sited Self Defecnce and NYSRPA v. Bruen as my just cause.
Now we shall see what the judge decides to do.

I'll try to keep ya'll informed of what happens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No you can submit for your full carry right now , I was up at the clerks office and the person told me that they have no idea how long it's going to take as the situation from the state changes daily so he said don't be surprised if I don't here anything for awhile he said they've been swamped with people changing over to full carry , he even notarized my amendment very nice of him to do that for me .
No. Rockland is offering an automatic removal of restrictions. Just fill out their form and pay them $5. Of course come Sept 1 and it will become a felony to carry anywhere in NYS.
I did just that a month ago. Filled out the form, paid the fee which they happily took. I called them this week to see whats happening because i havent received any word about if the judge agreed to lift my Sportsman/residence restrictions and they told me nothing is happening for the next 6 months. Everything is on pause until the governor tells them otherwise. My amendment to have my restrictions lifted will not be sent to the judge and don't expect anything for at least 6 months. At which point new training and voting processes will be in place.
Rockland County is Not removing restrictions. They'll take your paperwork and money but won't remove the restrictions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone actually been granted a full carry upgrade who had a restricted permit prior to NYSRPA v Breun?

Here in Rockland County I've been trying for 12 weeks to convince them to remove my restrictions and ive gotten nowhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It was quite simple to get a concealed carry. I went to the Clerk in early August and filled out the application to remove restrictions from my permit and about 2 weeks later received the concealed carry.
I don't know what causes delays for others, as a friend went a week before me and received his a week before me.

I wish it was that simple. I submitted my amendment application back in late June right after the NYSRPA v Bruen decision.
I've spoken with the pistol clerk and the chief court clerk many times since then.
They both tell me my application isn't lost and that they have it, but it's ultimately up to the judge to grant my request for restriction removal or not and I should just keep waiting. If the judge doesn't accept my request then there really isn't anything I can do about it.

I don't know how it works in other counties but the judges here in Rockland have always made it very hard to get your permit unrestricted unless you have a very strong reason that justifies unrestricted carry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts