New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Unless the new provisions in the law are overturned as to the location bans, you really won't be able to carry concealed most anywhere. I know that's just repeating the obvious. A rush to get an unrestricted permit not be worth it until this is resolved. The permit will be good for allowing you to have the guns but as far as freeing a restricted person to carry - not so hot. The unrestricted current folks are screwed also. The Scotus crew were out thought unless they were planning to immediately act against such restrictions. I doubt that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There was a study that demonstrated that states with training vs. no training (but with the usual NICS like background checks) has no difference in crime rate, etc. between the respective permit holders. However, in the abstract, training isn't a bad idea as most carriers are naive on gun usage and have little training beyond the state course. Some go astray with the use of force and get in trouble. A course that does over use of force and tests some basic mechanical gun usage doesn't hurt. Should it be mandatory? That's complex. However, having lived under two training requirement shall issue states, it wasn't a hassle but I had the resources.

I grant you Kathy is trying to screw with permit holders. TX had an 8 hour course, reduced to 4, OR a 2 hour for example. There was a simple shooting test in TX but you would be surprised as the horror show shooters who did take the test. DUCK! Also, a few obvious nuts were weeded out by instructors. It's a complex situation. I would accept the training IF all the other crap was dropped - like the locale and opt-in horrors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts