New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's the thought on the process to get your license adjusted to a full carry conversion in places like Westchester County?

Do we fill out the paperwork and just request full carry? Jochul posted a tweet basically saying that "the rules don't change," (which is absolutely comical), but posted the NY website which quietly implies that it does.

Reason for full carry on the form "need for self-defense"

• As of the U.S. Supreme Court’s Bruen ruling, only the proper cause requirement to conceal carry is no longer applicable and ordinary citizens are deemed to have a self-defense basis for applying for a concealed carry permit.

· Registered
156 Posts
I would think they will try and make it a PITA. However, the argument will be, for those who already have their permit…why would you need to be re-investigated (vetted) if you already have a license? Unless of course the legislature changes PL400 to include some training requirement, which I believe they will do. That will be the kicker, IMO.

· Registered
13 Posts
So what's the thought on the process to get your license adjusted to a full carry conversion in places like Westchester County?

Do we fill out the paperwork and just request full carry? Jochul posted a tweet basically saying that "the rules don't change," (which is absolutely comical), but posted the NY website which quietly implies that it does.

Reason for full carry on the form "need for self-defense"

• As of the U.S. Supreme Court’s Bruen ruling, only the proper cause requirement to conceal carry is no longer applicable and ordinary citizens are deemed to have a self-defense basis for applying for a concealed carry permit.
The rules seem to be the same as they always were here in Rockland County. I tried to get my restrictions removed on Friday and they told me the Supreme Court ruling was irrelevant. Until they here different from the Governor I still need to prove a "just cause" to carry and my reason can be denied by the judge if he feels it's not sufficient.
Some counties are not complying with the Supreme Court decision. I don't know what I expected to be honest, this is New York after all...

· Registered
99 Posts
The rules seem to be the same as they always were here in Rockland County. I tried to get my restrictions removed on Friday and they told me the Supreme Court ruling was irrelevant. Until they here different from the Governor I still need to prove a "just cause" to carry and my reason can be denied by the judge if he feels it's not sufficient.
Some counties are not complying with the Supreme Court decision. I don't know what I expected to be honest, this is New York after all...
Personally speaking, since restrictions are not legally binding I would just carry anyway. With the SCOTUS ruling I would not have any fear of a revocation if the stars aligned and I somehow got caught and it was reported to the licensing officer.

In terms of what can be done today my best suggestion is to contact some attorneys as well as others in your situation (and have them do the same) to see what your options are. If there is a "loophole" that legally allows them to do this while they await action from another institution (I don't believe this, but I'm not an attorney) then as unjust as it is, there is nothing you can do via the judiciary. If there is, you can almost surely sue for damages.

That's my perspective, at least.

· Registered
31 Posts
............In terms of what can be done today my best suggestion is to contact some attorneys .........
I would advise the same. Perhaps contact those attorneys that presented this case to the supreme court. They might be very interested in hearing that their winning argument is considered "irrelevant".

Personally speaking, since restrictions are not legally binding I would just carry anyway..
Ditto

· Registered
1 Posts
What does this case mean regarding the previous restriction saying NY State carry permits were not valid in NYC?

Has anyone seen specific guidance saying it’s now okay to carry in NYC with a NY State permit?

· Registered
31 Posts
If you are looking for an "on record" government response indicating they had it all wrong and all pistol license holders are now lawful concealed carriers, don't hold your breath. Currently, that restriction no longer exists. A test case involving an arrest and attempted prosecution by a government entity who considers the decision irrelevant might help clarify things. As topical as the situation is, I doubt such an event would occur.

I’m curious to see which jurisdiction is going to step up and publicly get their nose rubbed in this and asked which part of the decision did you not understand?

· Registered
253 Posts
What does this case mean regarding the previous restriction saying NY State carry permits were not valid in NYC?

Has anyone seen specific guidance saying it’s now okay to carry in NYC with a NY State permit?
Nothing official but the ruling says that a whole island of Manhattan can not be deemed a sensitive place so IMHO (not a lawyer) a upstate license is GTG in NYC but I’m sure NYPD would still arrest you and you’d have to fight it in court

· Registered
19 Posts
I live in Westchester County and submitted my amendment to remove my Target restriction on Friday. The woman went through my documents and said they were all there but that they were waiting for word on how to handle this situation. I had done an amendment before to add a pistol and it took 2 weeks to get back but she said because this is a restriction change it could take up to six months. On my Full Carry attachment I just wrote that I have been a responsible Target permit holder for 2 years and want to be able to carry to other places without fear of losing my guns and referenced the supreme court case in allowing me this freedom. We will see how it goes, worst case I lose the $3 filing fee.

· Registered
3 Posts
I live in Westchester County and submitted my amendment to remove my Target restriction on Friday. The woman went through my documents and said they were all there but that they were waiting for word on how to handle this situation. I had done an amendment before to add a pistol and it took 2 weeks to get back but she said because this is a restriction change it could take up to six months. On my Full Carry attachment I just wrote that I have been a responsible Target permit holder for 2 years and want to be able to carry to other places without fear of losing my guns and referenced the supreme court case in allowing me this freedom. We will see how it goes, worst case I lose the $3 filing fee.
I took a similar approach, but the justification was slightly different and reference that I already had a permit issued under Penal code 400 subsection 2(f), and the administrative restriction of "Target" and requirement to show cause was unconstitutional, so I am requesting they remove the restriction. Worst case is I lose the $3 filing fee. Hopefully this will not take 6 months...that would be the making of another lawsuit I would imagine (disclosure, i'm not a lawyer). It seems like most other states are acquiescing to the Bruen decision (Maryland and NJ specifically). Can you pierce the immunity of a state/county judge in federal court for failing to follow the Bruen decision and depriving you of exercising your constitutional rights?

· Registered
132 Posts
I took a similar approach, but the justification was slightly different and reference that I already had a permit issued under Penal code 400 subsection 2(f), and the administrative restriction of "Target" and requirement to show cause was unconstitutional, so I am requesting they remove the restriction. Worst case is I lose the $3 filing fee. Hopefully this will not take 6 months...that would be the making of another lawsuit I would imagine (disclosure, i'm not a lawyer). It seems like most other states are acquiescing to the Bruen decision (Maryland and NJ specifically). Can you pierce the immunity of a state/county judge in federal court for failing to follow the Bruen decision and depriving you of exercising your constitutional rights?
please keep us updated I'm Westchester as well and have had my permit for 10 years its restricted to sportsman .

· Registered
13 Posts
Following . In rockland county and want to know how to maneuver this issue .
I Submitted in here in Rockland on Friday. Spoke with the clerk who told me as far as they are aware may issue for "just cause" is still in effect because they're waiting for Albany to change the law. They're acting as if the Supreme Court riluling is a suggestion not an order to strike down the unconstitutional law.
They'll even give you a nice little paper saying as much if you go down to the clerks office yourself.
Anyway they said I could submit my request to the judge as normal and provide "just cause" so I did. I submitted and sited Self Defecnce and NYSRPA v. Bruen as my just cause.
Now we shall see what the judge decides to do.

I'll try to keep ya'll informed of what happens.

· Registered
1 Posts
Be careful what ones wishes for ...
Hochul & recalled 2d Amendment hating NY legislature about to ram through a new law addressing handguns carry & premises permits to meet the Supreme Court standard of 'objectivity" plus some extra hoops so it will be harder than before for any law abiding NYer to obtain a pistol permit than under old where the standards varied from county to county. Now everyone's going to be held to the super strict New York City standard with a lot of restrictive add-ons.

· Registered
31 Posts
Be careful what ones wishes for ...
Hochul & recalled 2d Amendment hating NY legislature about to ram through a new law addressing handguns carry & premises permits to meet the Supreme Court standard of 'objectivity" plus some extra hoops so it will be harder than before for any law abiding NYer to obtain a pistol permit than under old where the standards varied from county to county. Now everyone's going to be held to the super strict New York City standard with a lot of restrictive add-ons.
Also did you see she said in her statement that all private businesses will be off limits and considered gun free zones unless they place a sign that says "guns welcome"?

Edit: I almost forgot, she also said they will be implementing background checks for AMMUNITION

· Registered
14 Posts
I am an FFL class 7 and a manufacturer and license always dealer privileges in NYC.
I just made a payment on my NYC Business Carry (2 days ago.)
Just for info, I started this application in 2019.
The payment has not been processed. It seems they are holding up applications or at a minimum slowing down the process.
I started this application for Business Carry in 2019.
I only pressed the button to submit 2 days ago.

Let us see what happens.
The Feds are on my side. Many licenses and zero reasons to NOT issue.

I don't want to be a cop, I need me and my family to be safe.
I know what happens when you pull a trigger on someone, "They are Devastated"

Anyway, I will do my best to keep others here informed.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts