New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a what I think is 100 gallon propane tank that has 70 gallons of propane in it. We had a propane pool heater and switched to an electric heater. Now I want this thing gone.

You know what the price of propane is so make me an offer or trade please. You will have to pick up and haul away. I live in Fairport. PM me please.

Thanks,

Ken

· MSG
512 Posts
What is the date stamp on the tank and do you have proof of ownership? I could use it up at camp but my propane company won't fill without proof. Thanks

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Date stamp is 09-05. I have no proof as I moved in the house three years ago and it was here. Filled it twice since then from 2 different places. No one has said a thing. Have no idea. I don't want to do anything I am not supposed to. Thought I could just get rid of it. Thoughts anyone?

· Banned
1,269 Posts
Date stamp is 09-05. I have no proof as I moved in the house three years ago and it was here. Filled it twice since then from 2 different places. No one has said a thing. Have no idea. I don't want to do anything I am not supposed to. Thought I could just get rid of it. Thoughts anyone?
No its yours,or the company would of came and got it by now IMO.Just some gas company's are a lil screwy!

· MSG
512 Posts
The company I get gas from is part of a co-op, close to a $1 less a gallon, there are some stipulations but well worth it.

· Registered
687 Posts
do you have any dimensions on that tank? It almost looks like a 250 not a 100

· Registered
687 Posts
My mistake. I read 100 pound tank . that does look like a 100 gallon tank. At 70% full that thing could weigh over 500 pounds.

· Registered
687 Posts
it becomes a gas once as it comes out of the tank. it is actually boiling off to a vapor at the surface in the tank. It is liquid in the tank. LPG ---Liquid propane gas. that is why in colder weather a horizontal tank will give you a better supply of propane that a vertical tank will. more surface area to boil off.

· Registered
687 Posts
And I think liquid propane is about 4 pounds a gallon....x70 is 280 # just in propane. tank could be over 200 itself

· Registered
4,955 Posts
are you sure?Propane is a gas not liquid and should not weigh that much.....
Nope, propane is distributed in liquid form (hence the abbreviation "LP", for liquid propane). It's definitely quite heavy, but not as heavy as water (water is twice as heavy, 8.34 lbs/gallon). 1 gallon of liquid propane weighs just over 4 lbs. So Culvercreek's estimate is right on. A full 100 gallon tank would weigh between 400-500 lbs., but I believe you can only fill a tank to 85-90% capacity at most to allow for expansion.

· Registered
2,130 Posts
Nope, propane is distributed in liquid form (hence the abbreviation "LP", for liquid propane). It's definitely quite heavy, but not as heavy as water (water is twice as heavy, 8.34 lbs/gallon). 1 gallon of liquid propane weighs just over 4 lbs. So Culvercreek's estimate is right on. A full 100 gallon tank would weigh between 400-500 lbs., but I believe you can only fill a tank to 85-90% capacity at most to allow for expansion.
full = 80% capacity granted this varies from time to time since gauges aren't always accurate.

· Registered
9,139 Posts
Does it even have a gauge?

When i was in high school i used to ride around with the propane guy at work and fill those suckers. It was always in the winter, I had to drag the hose thru the snow. I don't remember exactly how we did it but you filled them till some type of blow off valve started dumping propane then you turned it off. There was never a gauge to read.

· MSG
512 Posts
Becareful. the hooks aren't supposed to be used to lift a full tank or a near full tank although it is done. If I remember correctly they are filled to 10-15% capacity upon delivery to hook up and do a pressure drop test for leaks and to ease the installation process. Regaurdless, becareful when moving it. It would be gone if I were closer and didn't have to travel the Thruway to get it.

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys. Sorry just got home. But lbs, gallons I have no idea. To me its a tank and bigger then the one I use on the grill. LOL. It is about 55" tall and 100" around.

And a photo of the gauge.

Please fell free to ask any other questions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.