New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a stag arms model 3 and I have a set of Magpul backup sights. I know you can't put these sights on a gas block but can i put the front sight behind the gas block on the top rail? Or should the front sight be as far forward as possible meaning i should go out and buy a front sight meant for a gas block? Thanks

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
I'd mount it as far forward as you can on the top rail. Don't go out and buy a new gas block just for this purpose.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Just put it on the rail, not the gas block. You can guy out and buy a new front sight, but why waste the money?

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Magpul doesn't recommend that their front sight (MBUS) be put on a gas block rail due to the heat from the expanding gas will melt the sight. I also have as set of MBUS and have them mounted on the free float tube behind the gasblock. As long as your upper receiver rail and your handguard rail are at the same elevation you will not have a problem with your MBUS being out of alignment.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I think if you get a long rail over a low profile gas block you can increase the sight radious substantially. Some 15" tubes will give you top
performance on that end w/o ever touching the barrel. I think troy, samson, midwest they all have nice light rails that do not put too
many ounzes but radically increasing real state.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
What type of shooting will this gun be used for?

Will the gun have optics on it thus treating the irons truly as Back up sights?

The right way to do this with your current upper is to go buy a proper gas block height aluminum sight and sell the Magpuls.

The size of the mod3's gas block hinders placing an extended free float hand guard over it. It is far from a drop in replacement with this upper.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Far from drop in yes, impossible, no. Not by a long shot.

Look into Troy and Vikings Tactical Alpha rails or simular that utilize the standard barrel nut.
If the existing gas block has too small an ID to slip over the presumably perm'd muzzle device, it can be left in place and ground/cut down instead.
Cut off the delta ring, welded sping and circlip then go to town.

A 13~15 inch rail over a carbine length barrel roxorz.
13" will equal rifle sight radius, 15" will exceed it, and you get the benift of a fully encapsulated barrel that looks cool as **** besides :)

Worthwhile considering you get a long sight radius + free float tube to use them on.

Hardly cheap though, and if you're not allowed to use any tools sharper than a soft boiled egg it might be beyond your skill level.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@bpipe95 Nothing more then just shooting but i do want to hit the target haha
So would a front sight on the gas block give me a better advantage?
Eventually I will get some kind of red dot or something but right now I want to get better at aiming without.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Eventually I will get some kind of red dot or something but right now I want to get better at aiming without.

The farther apart your sites are, the more accurate you'll be. This is why front sites are at the end of the barrel, and the rear sites are at the back of the receiver.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

Do you plan on keeping it strictly Iron sights?

With the rail that is on the 3, it rocks back and forth thus causing an inconsistent and somewhat unstable mounting point for the front site vs the gas-block which is fixed in place on the barrel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts