New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on it for awhile and even posted in here some time ago. Pistol Permit is obviously impossible. But since I am employed by Army Cadet command as a cadet at SUNY Pdam, anyone one here think I can make an argument for gaining a license to conceal carry? (I target shoot and its annoying not being able to shoot 9months out of the year).

I feel this is a valid point and just want some opinions from the firearms community.

Thanks

· Registered
13,297 Posts
Agree with above. Need to be NY resident for pistol permit. I believe there is an exception for non-residents attending NRA sanctioned event, but not sure on perticulars and its only for a short (measured in hours) time.

I thought you might have been a good friend of mine who lives in NJ, played hockey for potsdam and has a second home in LG, but you're obviously much younger than him. Good luck.

· Registered
3,865 Posts
If you want it bad enough, moving to the PDRNY is your only option.

· Registered
368 Posts
I think you already posted your answer. " Pistol Permit is obviously impossible." Permit (other than a house permit) is a license to carry concealed in NY.

· Registered
25 Posts
Are you a contracted cadet? Do you live off campus? It's been a few years since I knew how ROTC is set up, but if your a contracted cadet your in the Army right? What I'm getting at is even with a NJ drivers license you can still be a NY resident. Solders stationed at ft. Drum get pistol permits with out getting a NY drivers license. Now you just have to think about how long you gonna be in NY. Is it worth the wait? Are you going active, guard, or reserve after?

I'm gonna guess you are at least in your junior year. If so and you don't plan on staying in NY, I don't think it would be worth it.
Call the county clerk and ask them how they handle military personnel stationed in the county.
I hope that guides you a little better then the "not gonna happen" crowd.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
If you have an address in NYS that you stay at for more then 6 months of the year I believe you are considered a "resident" of NYS. best way to find out would be to call up the permit office of the county that you reside in while in NYS, they would give you a good answer, the permit office is usually pretty helpful.

· Registered
1,559 Posts
i thought it was the same in NJ?
You can own a gun in your home without a permit if it was legally obtained. You will need FOID to buy or transfer another and to buy ammo. NJ does not allow any pistol hunting so it would stay at residence all the time'h. I beleive you would need the FOID to take it target shooting. Basically if you have grandpas WW2 .45 and it never leaves the home. You are good. This is how it was explained to me from a gun store in NY that borders NJ and alot of their clients are from NJ.

· I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,648 Posts
wow, thanks. I learn something new every day! haha

i have kin that live in NJ now and looked into getting a non-resident permit and saw that was not going to happen.

· Registered
725 Posts
a NJ resident can get a NYS CCW but you need to have a real reason. A friend who lives in NJ has a business in NY, and has a full carry in both states. So it can be done. Sorry to sound negative but I don't think your chances sound good, Sorry man

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.