New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obama Phone

A cell phone is a necessity to life. Just think how different WWII would have been if people had not had cell phones.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
That program I think actually started back in 1996 or something like that to help people pay for phone service - I think

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
not for nothing but i doubt i would have to look very far to find some government subsidy that you benefit from?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not for nothing but i doubt i would have to look very far to find some government subsidy that you benefit from?
Not sure. Not that I'm aware of at least. And "receive money from (if I could find something)" is vastly different from "benefit from".

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Why do I even bother working... I can get everything plus some for freeeeee

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I like how their website claims that Bush started this all, as if that makes it ok. Even if Bush did start a program to allow poor people a landline to access emergency services, that's not the same as giving a free cellphone plan to every individual making less than $15k/year.

Then again, it might not be a bad idea to apply for one and, if received, use it to call your representatives.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like how their website claims that Bush started this all,
That seems to be a theme.

NDAA ---> BUSH STARTED IT WITH THE PATRIOT ACT!
Fast and Furious ---> BUSH STARTED IT WITH WIDE RECEIVER!
Free Phones ---> BUSH STARTED IT!

I honestly don't give a flying fork what Bush did. That's some great "change" you have there continuing things that were wrong with the Bush administration.

Also funny how I don't hear

Found and Killed Bin Laden ---> BUSH STARTED IT!

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
you don't own a home, have a student loan or got a tax refund back?
I may benefit from some government program. Federal student loans. The difference is that I contribute to these things. Actually I'm sure that I contribute a whole lot more than I benefit.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
you don't own a home, have a student loan or got a tax refund back?
Any tax returns I get is just a process of getting money back that was taken from me without my consent, so I don't really see how that counts. And no, no student loans here. I worked my entire way through college and graduated without a dime of debt.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Again, you're ignoring the fact that I pay into the system, and trust me, I pay a lot more in than I get out.

Every year I owe the state about $300.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Anyone that works for and lives on US Dollars is a beneficiary of subsidization. The petrodollar is the ultimate subsidy which our empire uses for personal gain at the expense of many other nation's. As we cry about our taxes, our military-industrial complex grows so that we can enforce our hush hush taxation of other nations. Indirect taxation by forcing every nation to use USD when transacting for oil for example.

The Proposed Iranian Oil Bourse | Energy Bulletin

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
I have first hand experience with obama phones....and the ones I have seen are abused. They have talk and text message capabilities that are unnecessary. When I have needed to use them in a law enforcement capacity to contact an individual I was frequently told by the phone holder "they can't talk to me, they are almost out of obama minutes." They would inform me they were saving those minutes for someone else. Really? You have someone more minute worthy than the caller who has the details about your case, that departments of folks have risked our own safety and busted our butts to work on? If not for an emergency purpose like to be contact by law enforcement, why do they have them? I envisioned families in need of urgent medical treatment with a sick child and no other method of being in contact with doctors/hospitals etc, contact with police or the courts so a victim can be contacted to be the ones that "needed" a cell phone. Not someone who used up their minutes chatting with their buddies. And text messaging, not something they need. You want text messaging, get a job.
I remember growing up with kids whose families moved here from Russia. They had 1 phone line for entire apartment houses that they would share and pool the cost of. It was what they could afford and needed for safety sake. They made something of themselves because they wanted more. They worked hard, they deserved more. They got it.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have first hand experience with obama phones....and the ones I have seen are abused. They have talk and text message capabilities that are unnecessary. When I have needed to use them in a law enforcement capacity to contact an individual I was frequently told by the phone holder "they can't talk to me, they are almost out of obama minutes." They would inform me they were saving those minutes for someone else. Really? You have someone more minute worthy than the caller who has the details about your case, that departments of folks have risked our own safety and busted our butts to work on? If not for an emergency purpose like to be contact by law enforcement, why do they have them? I envisioned families in need of urgent medical treatment with a sick child and no other method of being in contact with doctors/hospitals etc, contact with police or the courts so a victim can be contacted to be the ones that "needed" a cell phone. Not someone who used up their minutes chatting with their buddies. And text messaging, not something they need. You want text messaging, get a job.
I remember growing up with kids whose families moved here from Russia. They had 1 phone line for entire apartment houses that they would share and pool the cost of. It was what they could afford and needed for safety sake. They made something of themselves because they wanted more. They worked hard, they deserved more. They got it.
In addition, by law, any carrier must accept any incoming 911 call. No plan even required really...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts