New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news everyone, I finally got my handgun permit approval letter today!

To hopefully give anyone else in Franklin County an idea of what the process entails, and to give some insight to everyone else in NYS, I'll be keeping a log of sorts here to detail what has happened as well as new developments.

Here's the timeline so far:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 14, 2011
- Had my fingerprints taken via digital fingerprinting technology and paid a $115 fee for my criminal and mental health background checks.
- Submitted my completed handgun permit application, paid a $5 fee for services rendered (?), and had my photo taken, which I'm sure is going to look even worse than my driver's license (didn't shave that day).

May 19, 2012
- Received a phone call from a NYS investigator and had my interview conducted over the phone. Made it a point that it wasn't for hunting and that it was for self-defense, collecting, and competitive shooting (IDPA, 3-Gun). Had to provide two additional character references, but had to stop the interview there as I was called during my lunch break and was late for work. After work was finished, I called the investigator back and provided the additional references. No problems.

July 6, 2012
- Called my investigator to check on the status of my permit after surpassing the sixth month mark. Was told that I passed my background checks with flying colors and that my permit was now sitting on the judge's desk pending approval.
- Talked with my references and discovered that none of them were interviewed or otherwise contacted by the NYS Police. Odd...

September 7, 2012
- Received an approval letter for my handgun permit, containing the following message:

This is to inform you that your application for a pistol permit has been granted.

Within two months from the date of this letter, please come to our office bringing in one copy of the Dealers sales receipt or a notarized bill of sale from a private individual. If you are going to co-register guns owned by another person we will need a notarized statement from them giving you permission to co-register their pistols. All of the above notes must contain the sellers name and address as well as the make, caliber, serial number, model name or number and whether the gun is a pistol or a revolver.

If our office has not heard from you within two months from the above date your pistol permit will be cancelled.

If you have any questions you may contact our office at the above number.

Franklin County Clerk's Office
Pistol Permit Section
- I'm guessing that by "pistol" near the end, they really meant semi-automatic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further developments will be added as they occur.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After some long and deep consideration, as well as having a good chat with some LEO associates of mine, I've decided that my best option is an older Glock 19, either a Gen2 or a pre-2009 Gen3. I know I said over and over in other threads that I would prefer a CZ-75b variant, but even with the problems that some Glock 9mm's are having, a Glock simply has too many preban magazines and too much aftermarket support to pass up on. I still want a CZ someday, but support for them is a lot less than I expected here in NY.

If my Glock 19 starts beaning me in the face, at least I can have parts sent to me, have Glock fix the gun for me, or have it replaced altogether. With a CZ... not so much.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
September 11, 2012
- Received my handgun permit at the Franklin County Clerk Office in Malone. The permit is for concealed carry with no restrictions.
- Placed co-ownership of my father's Springfield XD-9 and Ruger SR22 on my permit.
- Received two pre-authorized receipts signed by Judge Robert Main granting me permission to purchase and receive one handgun for each receipt, without first having to send them to an FFL so long as I purchase these firearms in person. These receipts are good for up to one year.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
People from other counties will have to chime in on this, as I have no idea. I thought it was pretty odd that I had to list my job as well. But seeing as how this is NY, gun regulation and logic go together like peanut butter and pig's feet.

· Premium Member
4,405 Posts
People from other counties will have to chime in on this, as I have no idea. I thought it was pretty odd that I had to list my job as well. But seeing as how this is NY, gun regulation and logic go together like peanut butter and pig's feet.
used to have to list your occupation here in Saratoga County when i first got my permit back in 2006. Now its not listed on the new issue permits.

· Registered
29 Posts
Hi, thanks for this info. This is the first time I've seen anything about Franklin County's process online. I've put off applying for a permit due to the process. But I finally picked up the packet from the court house for $15. I suspect things are going to get tougher soon if they aren't already.

I'm not a hunter either and was worried that would be a stumbling block. Good to see it wasn't for you.

Any additional pointers that might make my process smoother?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.