New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Post: http://nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-p...ts-how-difficult-will-permit-franklin-co.html

Previously I asked how difficult it would be to get a permit in Franklin County with my non-conviction arrest record. Basically y'all said "Sorry but don't count on it. Here's the UPDATE!

So I originally put my application in March 2016. The investigator from the NYS police called me in for an interview in October 2016 (8 months) and we talked about the arrests, diagnosis of Combat Related PTSD, and medication (full honest disclosure), and he finished doing calls of my references and interview with my wife and now i'm waiting to hear back from the judge (total wait to this day (9 months).

The investigator was very cautious with me and had the look on his face of concern every I spoke to him. I took that as a sign of being worried of my PTSD or domestic violence arrests. After it was all said and done on his end, he told me not to worry as long as I was honest and provided all information (which I did) and as long as the paperwork reflects my statements then its up to the judge who "Rarely denies applications".

So take that for what you will. I expect to get my permit by Christmas and my Glock 19 the next day!

QUESTION: Do the dealers in NYS do a separate background check and / or have a waiting period for Pistols when you have a permit?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Good luck. Hope it works out. We shouldn't have to worry about the opinion of the king's men to own a damn gun though.

Yes, the NYS dealer will do an NICS check. As long as that comes back clear (sometimes it doesn't if you have certain arrests), then you can take your gun home after getting the serial number added to your pistol permit. I don't know how long it takes your county to to pistol permit amendments/additions. Some counties do it right at the clerk's office, with no wait...some counties take up to 6 weeks.

But there is no waiting period, technically.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts