New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,326 Posts
At least the public doesn't have to foot the bill to incarcerate him for the rest of his life. Just another negative ='s a positive, self-cleaning oven kinda situation. I'm glad no innocents were hurt or killed, otherwise I'm indifferent to the situation.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Not the worst thing I've ever seen. Net even a big deal really. We have become so pussified that this freaks us out as a nation? Not me.

· Registered
2,452 Posts
Oh friggin' well. Another loser at the end of his rope doing society a favor.

I have no problems with the newscast. Once in a while we need a dose of harsh reality.

We used to have public executions in this country. Now everyone's too sensitive and easily offended.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Let's not forget there are children that may have watched it,and FOX News does have a bad reputation for over sensationalizing certain situations.....Just saying.......Otherwise I agree,in an adult world yes.....Another menace to society properly disposed with.

· Registered
11,402 Posts
Now live chases and crackheads shooting themselves is entertainment.
Soon we will start again throwing Christians to the Lions.
Society need a big dose of dignity and humility but humans only seem to remember those values in rare occasions or in desperate times.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
These days the masses rely on social media,and thrive on the media trash as a form of entertainment.......Those who cant seperate reality in a split second judge too quickly......The question is it because they don't care or choose to ignore the truth ??

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Now live chases and crackheads shooting themselves is entertainment.
Soon we will start again throwing Christians to the Lions.
Society need a big dose of dignity and humility but humans only seem to remember those values in rare occasions or in desperate times.
yeah society is looking more like that old flick death race every day
I think you guys totally missed the point. Or maybe you just didn't read the actual story.

Fox was covering the chase on a delay so they could cut away if anything bad happened. The dude got out and started running sort of erratically. Then out of nowhere, he shot himself in the head and collapsed. Shepard Smith started shouting "get off it" as soon as he saw the gun come out, but someone in the back wasn't paying attention and they aired it.

Shep came back from the break and gave a long apology and explanation of what happened. He vowed that it will never happen again on his watch. His words were heartfelt and full of regret.

This was not entertainment, or anything like Death Race. It was a genuine error, and someone is probably looking for a new job because of it.

Try and understand whats going on before you make critical comments like the ones quoted above.

· Registered
2,743 Posts
I think you guys totally missed the point. Or maybe you just didn't read the actual story....

This was not entertainment, or anything like Death Race. It was a genuine error, and someone is probably looking for a new job because of it....
Setting aside Fox's "I'm sorry" explanation, the point of the story was to highlight the growing trend of "news" organizations choosing to give preferential coverage to sensationalism rather than to events of greater importance.

From the article,
The broadcast immediately spurred scrutiny about the network's tendency to take car chases live during its daytime newscasts. Mr. Smith, in particular, has developed a reputation for his colorful play-by-play coverage of such scenes.

Mr. Smith had been following the chase, then switched to other news, including the violence in Syria, before returning to Arizona as the man being pursued pulled his car over.
There is no way anyone could reasonably rationalize that on a national news broadcast, some crackhead stealing a car is of greater cultural or journalist importance than the mess in Syria that they cut away from.

They weren't covering the car chase because it was journalistically relevant. And they didn't cut away from their coverage of events in the Middle East because the car chase was more important. They showed the car chase because they wanted to keep their viewers around after the next commercial.

That's entertainment, not news.

Unfortunately, in their bid to spice up the show, they got a little more than they expected.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.