New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my permit in Clinton county from a little over 2 years ago. I now live and work in the capital region. After I added my last handgun via mail I received a letter from the Clinton county clerks office stating that I have to transfer my permit to Albany county even though I still own a house in Plattsburgh (Clinton county). This really annoys me since I just bought another pistol and Clinton county is refusing to add it to my permit and if I have to wait for Albany to do so it is going to take months between the transfer and the amendment. Does anybody have any insight on this?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I think there are some old threads on this. Not 100% sure but believe you are required to notify permit office of change in address but believe you can keep permit in current county. This would be esp. true if you still own a residence in the current county. That said, if pistol permit office is telling you you need to transfer and will not process your amendment, you might have to engage an attorney to get the ball moving. Good luck. Sorry to hear news.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My personal experience with this is: I had a Saratoga County restricted permit, when I moved to Essex County I informed Saratoga County. They updated my address and told me I could keep my permit with Saratoga or could transfer it to Essex County. I decided to transfer the permit to Essex County to make the whole process easier and ended getting an unrestricted permit just by requesting it along with my transfer paperwork :) I have heard that Warren county has the same policy as the one you mentioned Clinton County has, if you don't live in their county you must transfer if out of their county. Sounds like that may be what you have to do. Sorry

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
you are not required by law to change your county. you do have to notify them of your change of address though, I think you need to call someone at the clinton county clerks office and have a discussion with them on this. be nice and respectful, and if you dont get the answers you want ask to speak to their supervisor, and so on and so forth.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you are not required by law to change your county. you do have to notify them of your change of address though, I think you need to call someone at the clinton county clerks office and have a discussion with them on this. be nice and respectful, and if you dont get the answers you want ask to speak to their supervisor, and so on and so forth.
I did update my address with them a little over a year ago when I started working in Albany. I have spoke with them about the matter previously and didn't really make any head way. The only other person I could really talk to about it is the main supervisor.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
What a FU**** up system, you go through all the FU***** BULL**** to get this permit and you have to transfer from one county to next, no wonder I want to get the FU** out of this SH** hole state. Oh and sorry for my rant good luck.:mad:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Changing your permit to Albany county is a gambol .If you have an unrestricted permit now chances are that Albany will put restrictions on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts