New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have cable, or any other "pay tv" service, so I'm locked out of the online NBC content. This pissed me off pretty good since I'd like to see some of the other sports like Judo, Shooting, Sailing, etc.

So I did a little google foo last night, and for anyone else who's interested, I had success with a product called expat shield (expatshield.com). Basically it makes a VPN to their servers in the UK, then virtually gives you a UK IP address. Then you can watch them on the BBC's coverage.

Use at your own risk, but it's allowed me to watch some of the cooler sports that will never get broadcast over the air. Maybe it'll be of interest to some of you if you also don't have a pay TV account (cable, dish, etc.).

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I have a pay service and I'm still not interested in the Olympics. :(

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I have a pay service and I'm still not interested in the Olympics. :(
+1 ... they televise such a small amount of shooting and archery, if at all, and the constant jumping around from event to event .. I've given up on it. Not to mention the reporting is always negative and nothing positive. Always "'This country has __________ problems with it." Well ... take a good look at us and we ain't no better than them!!! I'll pass on TV all together.

·
Registered
387 Posts
+1 ... they televise such a small amount of shooting and archery, if at all, and the constant jumping around from event to event .. I've given up on it. Not to mention the reporting is always negative and nothing positive. Always "'This country has __________ problems with it." Well ... take a good look at us and we ain't no better than them!!! I'll pass on TV all together.
That's the problem with watching it via NBC. I might have to check out this option for watching through the BBC. NBC's coverage is pretty lame.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use at own risk? Doesn't sound to inspiring or legal the way you stated it.
I only say that because I can't be absolutely sure it's not crapware. Works nice for me, but I'm using it on a pc I don't care about. I can rebuild my pc in no time and have regular backups. I have spyware and antivirus programs running, and it didn't flag as any kind of issue. I also didn't find any "don't install this crap" articles when I did bing and google searches on expat shield. It did have to install itself as a driver, though, since it's modifying the network settings and running as a vpn client. It also is one of those annoying products that wants to install it's toolbar, but that's easily avoided during setup. So, yes use at your own risk because I didn't write it, and certainly take no responsiblity if it blows up your pc in any way.

As for legal, well your not entitled to watch the BBC unless you pay the TV tax in the UK...which we are not. So, I'm probably breaking some stupid UK law.

Watched some archery, weightlifting, and more shooting today....good stuff.

·
Registered
79 Posts
IMHO it's worth it just to watch sports on the BBC too, and I don't mean just soccer. Sometimes they have football games and such on their site that you might not be able to get in your coverage area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts