New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I enjoy reading zerohedge myself but I must admit the site is full of paranoid articles. The proprietor has been forecasting doom and gloom for so many years. Is he off his rocker or ahead of the curve?

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Interesting article. But the closing statement shows the ridiculousness of our situation.

Despots, dictators, and power hungry presidents arise in an atmosphere of fear, scarce resources, hopelessness, and misery. As the power of the central government grows the freedoms, liberties and rights of the people are diminished and ultimately relinquished.
The article makes the case that insufficient resources to support a population lead to totalitarian governments. The United States has more than enough resources to support the population. Fear, hopelessness, and misery in the US are mainly self inflicted by the bad (often intentional) choices of our government officials. Our path to an overbearing government has not been caused by math or demographics. It has been caused by wealth, success, and complacency run amok. Unfortunately the path we are on means we will be far less prepared than we could be for the coming turmoil in areas of the world that have true population/resource problems.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Interesting article. But the closing statement shows the ridiculousness of our situation.

The article makes the case that insufficient resources to support a population lead to totalitarian governments. The United States has more than enough resources to support the population. Fear, hopelessness, and misery in the US are mainly self inflicted by the bad (often intentional) choices of our government officials. Our path to an overbearing government has not been caused by math or demographics. It has been caused by wealth, success, and complacency run amok. Unfortunately the path we are on means we will be far less prepared than we could be for the coming turmoil in areas of the world that have true population/resource problems.
As is happening right now on our southern border. Our complacency is going to brought to a sudden brutal and ugly end at some point. America is in for a very rude awakening and as paranoid as that guy sounds, he makes some very good points.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
The exponential increase in population has created a lot of problems and although the United States hasn't been impacted nearly as bad as some other regions of the world we are still feeling its effects. Look at what is happening over in western Africa right now with the Ebola outbreak. Lots of people in cramped, unsanitary conditions are the perfect breeding ground for plagues. NYC may not be Lagos, Nigeria but there are sections of it and other cities that aren't that far off. The more people there are the more chance for disease to spread and something like Ebola is one scary bug. Woe to us if it ever reaches our shores, and with the porous border situation and lack of any real containment (that I can see at least) in airports the chances of it coming are better than not.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
As is happening right now on our southern border. Our complacency is going to brought to a sudden brutal and ugly end at some point. America is in for a very rude awakening and as paranoid as that guy sounds, he makes some very good points.
Agree 100%. I find the current times we live in somewhat surrealistic. Here in NY, and most of the country, we wake up, go to work and come home just like any other day. I simply find it hard to believe that our financial situation and the unrest in the rest of the world won't be bursting our bubble at some point in time, and very soon. Perhaps that is just pessimism from being middle aged but it just seems to me there are plenty of warning signals.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The complacency thing is what really gets me...Think about it, prior to December 7, 1941 I'll bet ninety percent of the American people couldn't find Japan on a map. In many ways, we have returned to that insular feeling that what happens "Over there" does not effect us and the general attitude is "it will never happen here" well, folks, it already is happening here. I Just read a piece that a passenger carrying the Ebola virus died in Africa while he was on his way home to Michigan and god only knows what is being carried across the Tex/mex border by god only know who.
We are in for some really bad times, and that's my optimistic opinion. When i get really paranoid, i scare me.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
America is in for a very rude awakening and as paranoid as that guy sounds, he makes some very good points.
Agreed. I fear the day the US gets a few cases of hemorrhagic fever. My first thought is that many people will suddenly change their opinion about the border situation. Perhaps that idea underestimates the determination of our politicians and the power of the propaganda coming from the mainstream media.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts