New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into many different options for stocking and it's been difficult trying to gauge what is the best option to buy, on top of being very expensive.

Another option I'm looking at is a dehydrator, and vacuum sealer. For a very low cost I can dehydrate fruits and veggies and vacuum seal them to last a very long time at a fraction of the MRE's. Another advantage is they're very light weight for BOB.

Anyone else here going this route?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I get 5 gallon food grade bucks used for a dollar from the local ice cream shop. Home Cheapo bucket lids with the o-ring for 1.29. Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers from Amazon. Buying bulk from Sams club and BJ's and ask for MRE's for Christmas and Birthdays...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Dry Ice actually makes a great way to force our Oxygen from containers like the 5 gallon one above. The CO2 is heaviey and displaces the O . Read up in it first it does build pressure and thee are formulas online to calculate how much dry ice is needed for specific container sizes.

works great for dried goods like grains and rice.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I think there is multiple answers to this question, dried and vacuum packed foods are great for a few months, handy to toss in a backpack and very lightweight, but they will not keep for long unless they are professional freeze dried.

Canning is the best long term option for instance if you shoot a deer and it is hot out, or harvest the garden and need to save for winter, canning with a pressure canner will get you food that can be stored for at least a few years.

Then there is bulk dry goods, which are great to have, but an emergency only item I think.

My mom bought me a pressure canner last year and my goal is to be able to both grow and buy all of our produce for canned goods for winter. I go through lots of canned veggies in my cooking when it is snowing, and with the baby coming I want to be able to provide a healthier food source with less sodium and none of the plastic in the lined cans.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think there is multiple answers to this question, dried and vacuum packed foods are great for a few months, handy to toss in a backpack and very lightweight, but they will not keep for long unless they are professional freeze dried.
Really? I thought for sure I would be able to keep them sealed down in the basement or fridge for at least a couple of years with no issues.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I see, I thought you just meant like making jerky or dried fruit and tossing it into a go bag or behind the seat of the truck.

Refrigerated it should keep even longer, still a risk though because in drying the food is never really heated up to a temperature to kill absolutely everything, and it would suck to crack open a bag of jerky in 7 months and get botulism.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The number one dry good to be kept long term is Hard Red Winter Wheat.
It's inexpensive and will keep a lifetime when properly kept.
Don't forget that you'll need a grain mill.

We use ours regularly to keep practiced and besides the bread and pizza made from home ground wheat is wonderful.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see, I thought you just meant like making jerky or dried fruit and tossing it into a go bag or behind the seat of the truck.

Refrigerated it should keep even longer, still a risk though because in drying the food is never really heated up to a temperature to kill absolutely everything, and it would suck to crack open a bag of jerky in 7 months and get botulism.
Agreed on the fruit. For the jerky I would think that's what cure is for, but I'm not sure what sort of substitution there would be for fruit.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
There was a gal set up at a safety and health fair we participated in last year who dried and canned all sorts of foods. She told us about a deal she got on cases of spaghetti sauce. She dehydrated it in her food dryer and vacuum packed it. She says she keeps 2 cases of sauce on one shelf in her cupboard. Bear in mind she had a big cabinet style dehydrator, not one of the little round ones with trays. She also cans venison and beef. We are trying to get her to come to one of our club meetings and do a presentation, it should make for an interesting talk.

We have dried watermelon on our dehydrator, it comes out like really sweet candy. Jerky is what our dryer sees the most of.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Im leaning towards canning supplies myself for long term "stay put" food supply. If you're looking for BOB food options canning doesnt help too much though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts