New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mossberg 500, 12ga, with 28" vent rib barrel.
I've always wanted to try skeet/trap/sporting clays, so I guess that can happen now.
Also picked up a couple hundred rounds of assorted birdshot to feed it. Hopefully, I'll get to the range on Monday to try it out.
I just need to learn more about all the different shotgun sports, and chokes, which, I'm a little embarrassed to say, I know little about, so I'm open to any wisdom you folks are willing to share.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Congrats, good looking Mossberg there.
I'm not big into skeet/trap but going out in the middle of nowhere in a field with some buddies and a clay launcher is one of the best ways to spend an afternoon.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I wish things like that follow me home, I have been told that "trouble" seems to follow me though.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Mossy 500 is a good solid shotgun. I still take mine out for fun on occasion.
I would recommend you try trap first. You'll only be shooting 1 shell at a time so it's easier to get use to.
I normally shoot IM choke for trap. sometimes I'll go to full choke if I not "feeling it" and want longer range.
Most ranges will limit you to 71/2 - 9 shot size. Target loads are from 7/8th- 1 1/8 oz. I normally shoot 1 oz.
For starters I usually tell people to cover the bird when you pull the trigger and follow through. You don't fire with the bird above the bead or it will be below the bird by the time the shot gets to the bird.
If you need to learn shooting 2 eyes open shoot some skeet. The mid stations pretty much force you to shoot with both eyes open.
Have fun!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Why does the wood look like plastic?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Why does the wood look like plastic?
My sister in law just bought the exact same gun today and I couldn't help but think the same thing... I obviously didn't break it down and check but it does give off that "faux" vibe.

Eh who cares the 500 is an awesome gun no matter the furniture...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Mossberg's have always felt loose and I never really wanted to own one. Guess that's why I never bought one. Enjoy the new toy.

FUAC FUAC FUAC FUAC

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Mossbergs suck

*ahem*
the money out of your wallet trying all the new loads you can throw through it. I have a 535 and 590 myself, but no base model 500. My dad has that. I respect the 870 and the 500, but let's just say that at this point...somebody's QC isn't quite up to snuff for me.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree, the wood looks like plastic, and the fit is a bit loose, but for $279, I can't complain. Besides, my Glock is pretty loose, and that actually is plastic.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Like Everything else in this world..... Most things are consistently inconsistent.

Ive always been a Remington guy but picked up a Mossberg Police and man I was impressed.

Good luck and im sure you'll enjoy it man.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Well I see one major issue with your plan that's not an 870. But good luck and have fun nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
For the price you can't beat it, well hell yeah you can beat it and use it for a canoe paddle if you have to. Decent entry level gun for the trap range. As far as loose and maybe a little sloppy SH** I'm 54 and everything seems to be a little loose and sloppy these days. Have fun and enjoy for a great price.;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Chokes are only sometimes what they say. There is no replacement for pattern board work. Skeet, Imp, Mod.... mean very little in reality. You will want to pattern your choke and loads. Slow shot typically patterns better than fast. Hard shot will pattern tighter, typically.

ex: I have a Browning Twelvette it is designated Modified, however it mics to more light modified. I also found that by changing loads I can get Skeet performance to Imp Mod performance with lead and Full choke performance with steel and lead substitutes. The Skeet barrel I have will get me Cyl to Modified patterns depending on load.
Another reason to pattern is shot sizes. Some guns don't like various sizes. My Twelvette throws 2s so erratically I could miss a spaniel but 3s are consistent. 3s also hold well to 40yrds at 43 (no kidding 3 yards) holes open up BIG, way beyond unacceptable.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The wood is a light colored beech. It is very hard.

You know the 870 Express is bad when the Chinese 870 clones are better.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice piece, as for clay shooting, get to a local fish and game club that has a skeet or trap range and hook up with a few experienced shooters. Most ranges will also have a place to pattern your gun so you can actually see how it shoots for you. That will help you develop a proper sight "picture" and break more clays.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts