New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here own one??? Looking for a solid review from an owner or anyone who has shot one. I recently purchased my Kimber Tactical and am just trying to decide on my next purchase!! I like the looks of the FN 5.7. Any input would be great... Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My hipster friend hand one he sold it, the safety is in a weird place.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
JVG already got rid of his.

I think the guns are awesome, but totally not practical.

1) Ammo can't be had at almost any place that sells ammo, suhc as Dicks, Wal-Mart, etc. Only your LGS MAY have some.
2) Ammo isn't exactly cheap. And only have ONE manufacturer for that ammo doesn't help.
3) Some ranges won't allow the round to be shot in their indoor ranges, due to muzzle velocity exceeding their limit.

Otherwise, I think they're awesome. The felt recoil from them is excellent, in that it's no so much a recoil that makes the muzzle rise, but one that drives the gun directly back into your hand, planting itself more and more with every shot. That's the impression I got from shooting one when I was in Vermont not too long ago.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I was thinking of getting one but even though they are designed with hi-cap magazines in mind we are still stuck with the 10 round capacity and pre-ban mags don't exist of course.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I had one it was a great gun but I have since sold it. Its very light and has practically no felt recoil. Shoots straight and very accurate. Getting one really depends on what, why and how you plan to use it.

However, the gun is rediculously expensive for what it is. It wouldnt be on my list for self-defense. Ammo is expensive and can't be had as easy as your typical pistol rounds. For a target gun its just to expensive you would be better served with a Browning Buckmark or Ruger MKIII. For a plinking gun also a bad choice due to ammo cost and with the velocity at which the round travels would be a good candidate for a dangerous ricochet. For self defense although light its relatively large gun. I wouldnt trust the 5.7 round in a CQ atmosphere as at a close range i could see it going through a person or wall.

If you have the money to blow by all means its a great gun. But for practicality purposes there's better for your money firearms available. If I ever have $1050 laying around on a gun I might use 5 times a year i'll buy another one in a heartbeat but my finances don't quite allow it yet.

One word to sum it up "Novelty"

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I think FNs are badass but here in NY they are almost pointless, if this was a state that allowed us to use the 21 round mags, it would be worth my time.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
As far as the ammo goes it can be found on line for 20 bucks a box of 50. I have the upper receiver for the AR and it is a fun round to shoot and train new shooters with. I could have bought a pistol at the same time but 1K is a bit much for a pistol with a limited mag capacity that would not make major power factor.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
If you like speed and something able to defeat body armor do not need to get too sophisticated. It has been there for many years...

9x 19mm 55 Grain Bullet | Liberty Ammunition

Also look for the .357SIG special police loads. (Austrian special police, US secret service and other's favorite). Hard to find but at least you can use it for tactical corbon, dobule tap, etc.. off the shelve loads and then reload your own special purpose if you cannot find it.

Whether is 9mm luger or 357 sig is best to keep full size frame as in this type of calibers and loads the business is about speed.
Make sure you buy a gun that can take the heat.

just my .2 cents.

·
Registered
451 Posts
regardless of capacity it would still be as i described it. You would just blow even more money on ammo. The more you talk the dumber i think you are
ummm magazine's and magazine capacity is a huge deciding factor in guns... at least for me.

itd be amazing to have 20+ rounds of 5.7 sitting flush in the gun instead of 10.

back on topic...

5.7 is amazing, i love it. id sell all my ar's before i gave up my ps90 and fn 5.7! they are both my shtf package and FAR from a novelty in my opinion.

im not saying jvg's opinion is stupid or idiotic or invalid. we are all entitlted to our opinion. even if we got our opinion from hearing what someone else though, or reading it somewheres online. him not owning one doesnt mean he is not entitled to post his opinion.

That is expensive when you could get a Browning Buckmark that shoots .22LR and be far more practical.

I would not compare 5.7 to .357Mag or .44Mag
he cant compare 5.7 to .357 but you can compare .22lr to 5.7?

jvg is right though.... .357 and 5.7 shouldnt be talked about together, because 5.7 is far superior!

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I believe that comparing any rounds w/o a purpose and that are in two complete different departments is not a good idea.
5.7 does several things very well. It is small, light, low recoil and it is ideal in specific scenarios and tactics.
I do not own a gun but I shot it and I loved it. Would I buy one soon? probably not but I can appreciate why some people
like them and if they can take the extra cost then why not.

One of the attractive points is the capability to carry massive loads but we know in NY that is a downer then favoring other
rounds with preban mags.

Additionally I think there is another potential role that I has not been explored (I think). It could make a great survival round too to carry
substantial round count. I know we have the 22LR and WMR that are great at that but the center-fire has always been considered
potentially more consistent and other bullets could be explored for that purpose. Don't know just an idea.

Overall I think it requires certain commitment and appreciation to stick to that round.
If I had money like bill gates I would have every single gun, caliber and ammo I could find but like most I have to make choices.
Firearms is a world of tradeoffs of some sort. You cannot have it all in one rifle and in one round.

If you like the speed there are other choices too but if you actually like the round itself then just think if it is really going
to make you smile or it will end up in the back of the safe. It has happened to me before so I try to be honest to what I really
enjoy. Also consider all the pros and cons like folks mentioned before including high velocity restrictions in ranges
and limited assortment of ammo. It is a little sexy round that is for sure.

Cheers.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
A lot of people put the 5.7 down because it does not have the power of a 223 and it is available in carbine type weapons. Truth of the matter is it was designed to replace the 9mm because NATO wanted something to penetrate light body armor. It is far superior to the 9mm and other handgun cartridges in body armor penetration tests, you can carry a lot more rounds in the same space and weight. Which in a firefight the more rounds you have to start with the better off you are. I bought an upper for my AR for a couple of reasons: 1) cool factor, the thing looks great with a top side mag and ejecting the round out of the bottom. 2) rounds cost about the same as 223, 38 super, 357 and so on. 3) no recoil at all makes it easy to make follow up shots on target every time. 4) training new and young shooters to handle a weapon is a lot easier if it doesn't hurt when you shoot it. 5) reload able with the stuff I already have on hand.

Prices are reasonable in bulk and on line just picked up 2K rounds for less than 850 shipped to my door.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
designed to replace the 9mm because NATO wanted something to penetrate light body armor..
dsdmmat,
That is a good analysis and all those are all valid points to take into account. But I would also add that while the 9mm average rounds are not designed to penetrate body armor there are special purpose loads that do that very well. They are more expensive than the 5.7 but for training
you can use light loads more affordable than the 5.7. The 357sig even better puts little solid pills up to 2200fps. These have more energy, momentum and larger wound cavity but the 5.7 wins in terms of round count weight and report. And that is the downer in NY with the 10 maximum for new round/magazines whereas with the classic 9mm and 40cal (same mags for 357sig) one can easily find preban mags.
The 5.7 and 9mm all have nice uppers ready to go while the 357sig you need to find a barrel or a manufacturer. I like the fact that the 5.7 spits
the brass through the magwell a plus in CQB.
I feel overall is best to study the round based on the intended uses, budget availabe, and personal likes and dislikes above all. In the end everyone should be shooting something they like if they can afford it. And the little 5.7 is very capable and very cool not doubt about that.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
We can all dream of the day that the 50 rounders will be legal in this state or the day we move out of it......

I like it, my intent was to be able to put a weapon in my wife's hand that she would be able to and want to shoot. So far I have had no luck with that but my boy thinks it is really cool and he wants to try it out. I put an AR on layaway for him so in about 60 days he will have his own and if he desirers to have a 5.7 upper for it I'll pick him up one with about six 10 round magazines.

For the most part my guns are for target shooting, I do not hunt, I am sure if I had to they would work well for hunting. I spent 20 years of my life practicing to be miserable, wet and cold so I am pretty good at it. Meaning I no longer have the desire to get up early in the morning go sit next to a tree and wait for the sun to come up or the enemy to come by so I can shoot them.

The only hunting I do is on the paintball field and that is about as excited as I get about shooting someone or something. The great thing about paintball is you get to talk to or have a beer with the guy that you just "killed" or just "killed" you after the game is over, plus it is the only sport where you can legally shoot your kids (lol).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts