New York Firearms Forum banner

FMJ vs. Hardened Lead

639 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  RandallOfLegend 
#1 ·
Alright, I'll admit it... I'm new to reloading. On top of that I've chosen to reload 9x18 for my Makarov... I got my dies. I've been saving my brass. I can readily find primers locally. I know I'll find powered eventually. My problem is with the bullets themselves.

I've been looking online for 95 grain FMJ bullets with no luck. I've found 93 grain hardened lead bullets on a couple of websites. I'm a little leery of lead bullets. I'm not worried about the toxicity of the lead... I've sucked on enough window sills painted with white lead paint in my day to know better. I'm more concerned about how badly these bullets would foul up the gun when I shoot them. Or does the hardening make the bullets less apt to do so?

Are the hardened lead bullets an acceptable alternative?

Opinions form the peanut gallery are welcome.

#2 ·
Depending on the hardness of the bullet and the velocity you shoot them at, you will not have to worry about leading up the barrel. I always like to throw one FMJ down the barrel at the end of the day to "get the lead out" so to speak. If you are having serious lead issues you will notice after the first magazine through it. Your groups will open up a lot and you may get some keyholing in the target. In that case your bullets are way too soft for the velocity you are pushing them. If that is the case place a FMJ in the magazine first with the lead bullets on top ensuring the last round will push any lead build up out of the barrel.

With the Makarov you shouldn't have to worry about leading if you are buying commercial hardcast bullets.

#3 ·
Proper hard cast bullets of the proper size lead my guns up no more than FMJs. Great savings. If you are still leery, consider plated bullets. In the middle of FMJ and lead. If you can find them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.