New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be traveling with a handgun for the first time next week to Oregon, and I don't want to hit any pitfalls with TSA on the way. From what I read it must be unloaded, no magazine in the grip, and locked in a hard case. I have a nano vault that I keep under the seat in my truck that I believe should be sufficient. It says on the tsa site that the spare mags can be locked in the same case with the gun. Ammo needs to be in a secure container, I have a couple of the plastic boxes that Federal HST rounds come in that I think will work fine.

Is it better to call the airline ahead of time and inform them that I'll be checking a firearm? We're flying Delta with connections to Minneapolis/St. Paul on the way there and Atlanta on the way back. I specifically avoided JFK this time as I've gone through there the last couple times and don't even want to go near NYC in the event that we have a flight cancellation and have to stay the night.

Anything that I'm missing or need to know?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
When i travel, I make sure me,my fire arm and my ammo are legal in my starting state and my designation state. I always try and do direct flights and will not intentionally have a stop over or a lay over in a state i am not licensed or don't have resoprocity with. I always take less then the allotted weight for ammo. I always lock my unloaded magazines in one locked container, My unloaded firearms in the next locked container with a flag in the chamber showing its unloaded,With my name address and phone number on it. I also keep my ammo locked up in a box Clearly marked ammo ONLY. I have a copy of the TSA regulations and what ever states I am traveling to in a binder on top of everything along with copies of my license for the states . If I am traveling for a compition I have my registration sheet in the same binder. My firearm case has a cable thru it to the extendable handle on the inside of my suit case so the box cannot be removed with our a cable cutter or complete destruction of my case. all of my cases are keyed alike and I put TSA approved locks on the outside of the suit case. Keep you stuff closed in your suit case, go up to check in and quietly declare you want to declare a fire arm and they will ask you some questions and then bring you to TSA screeners and they will call over the LEOS to stand by . It was pretty nerve wracking the fist time thinking your going to get in trouble but its really no problem.

PS I only travel out of Westchester, Newburg,or Conneticut, I will not leave newark, laquardia,or kenndey and we are not really legal there. Federal law say we can do it I just don't take the chance
Good Luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like you have everything right. I never traveled with a firearm but have looked into before. I was told with the ammo. It needs to be in a factory packaged un opened box . And the rounds need to be packaged in trays, They cant be bulk boxes were the rounds are just put into the box. Good luck

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've flown with pistols before and its pretty hastle free. Just declare them when you check your bag and you get sent over to a "special" area where TSA will ask you to unlock and open the case, inspect it and have you lock the case back up. They put an orange card in your luggage showing it has been inspected. Just make sure you keeps the key for the lock on you. They don't want anyone but you to have access to the gun. I also put a cable lock on the pistol as an extra measure. I don't remember how much (in weight) but I was told there is a limit to how much ammo you can travel with. Same applies here as with pistols as far as TSA inspecting it and yeah, they don't like it loose like in a zip lock baggie or something. All in all pretty painless. Good luck sir!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'll be traveling with a handgun for the first time next week to Oregon, and I don't want to hit any pitfalls with TSA on the way. From what I read it must be unloaded, no magazine in the grip, and locked in a hard case. I have a nano vault that I keep under the seat in my truck that I believe should be sufficient. It says on the tsa site that the spare mags can be locked in the same case with the gun. Ammo needs to be in a secure container, I have a couple of the plastic boxes that Federal HST rounds come in that I think will work fine.

Is it better to call the airline ahead of time and inform them that I'll be checking a firearm? We're flying Delta with connections to Minneapolis/St. Paul on the way there and Atlanta on the way back. I specifically avoided JFK this time as I've gone through there the last couple times and don't even want to go near NYC in the event that we have a flight cancellation and have to stay the night.

Do you have a permit that allows you to carry in Oregon? The other states that you're transferring planes in? Are you a current LEO or retired?
I have NY full carry resident, non-res permits from Utah, Florida, PA and usacarry.com map shows I can't carry in Oregon.
Be careful if plane gets re-routed to an unforgiving airport like Chicago, NYC, Newark

·
Registered
402 Posts
Do you have a permit that allows you to carry in Oregon? The other states that you're transferring planes in? Are you a current LEO or retired?
I have NY full carry resident, non-res permits from Utah, Florida, PA and usacarry.com map shows I can't carry in Oregon.
Be careful if plane gets re-routed to an unforgiving airport like Chicago, NYC, Newark
He doesn't need a license to possess a handgun in Oregon, and he also doesn't need a license to carry openly unless it's in one of a handful of cities.

also Chicago does not give anyone problems. They cannot legally give anyone problems anymore. Even when the laws were terrible and they had the handgun ban, nobody was ever hassled while checking a pistol at O'Hare or Midway.

·
Registered
402 Posts

You do not need to call the airline and you are worrying too much :)

simply put the firearm in a locked case and be sure the gun is unloaded. When you get to the ticket counter just tell the person that you need a firearm tag for your suitcase. I would just say the following words "May I please have a firearm tag for my suitcase?"

I recommend not using a case that has a battery backup for an electronic lock because it looks like a potential bomb from the x-ray so TSA will always ask for you to come back so you can open it for them. This is why I use a simple key lock box, nothing fancy.

every airport is different however you will not have a problem. I have checked Firearms in suitcases in Michigan, California, Hawaii, Rhode Island, Florida, Virginia, Nevada, Washington.

even if you have a flight cancellation or reroute, don't worry about it. The only places that ever try to jam people up are New York and New Jersey.

Remember, New York is the only place where the police ask to see a gun license when checking in a firearm. They used to in Massachusetts but I don't believe they do that anymore and apparently New Jersey pulls nonsense every now and then but nobody else does, California doesn't care, Hawaii doesn't care, neither does any other state that does not have a possession license.

Enjoy your trip in Oregon and enjoy that beautiful state.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Newark is a no go. For Southern NYers, LaGuardia and JFK are perfectly good to go. Drivers license and NYS PP is all you show them. Generally the Port Authority guys are quite nice. I've never had a problem and they usually ask about my toys or even how many am I allowed to travel with. I think I had seven or eight Glocks with me. Ammo is limited to eleven pounds I believe. By the time I use a HD piece of luggage, bicycle chain lock that wraps around the frame and gun case handle, there's not too much weight allowance left for clothes let alone much ammo except carry ammo.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I've traveled from the State of Washington to several other states and never had any problems what so ever. I'ts Easy, Peasy. When I get to the State I'm traveling to I'll grab my package with my handgun, mags & ammo and head to the restroom to get things together. Once I'm out of the secure area and in to the bagage claim area I ready if anything should occure. Where are you going to in Oregon? When you get there check out some of the Pawn Shops at there used handguns, I've seen some good buys there in the Portland Area. I always look at the handguns on Armslist it Washington State, Oregon, New York, Pennsylvania and Florida.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Newark is a no go. For Southern NYers, LaGuardia and JFK are perfectly good to go. Drivers license and NYS PP is all you show them. Generally the Port Authority guys are quite nice. I've never had a problem and they usually ask about my toys or even how many am I allowed to travel with. I think I had seven or eight Glocks with me. Ammo is limited to eleven pounds I believe. By the time I use a HD piece of luggage, bicycle chain lock that wraps around the frame and gun case handle, there's not too much weight allowance left for clothes let alone much ammo except carry ammo.
What do they ask you for in Newark? The guys on NJ gun forums report no problems

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/26087-flying-out-of-newark-airport-with-pistol/

Also, why does the PAPD ask for a drivers license? A DL isn't material.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Open carry is legal in Oregon with no permit. I'll be haying with my Father In Law for 9 days on a 100 acre farm, so I'll really only be carrying it on his private property.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've traveled from the State of Washington to several other states and never had any problems what so ever. I'ts Easy, Peasy. When I get to the State I'm traveling to I'll grab my package with my handgun, mags & ammo and head to the restroom to get things together. Once I'm out of the secure area and in to the bagage claim area I ready if anything should occure. Where are you going to in Oregon? When you get there check out some of the Pawn Shops at there used handguns, I've seen some good buys there in the Portland Area. I always look at the handguns on Armslist it Washington State, Oregon, New York, Pennsylvania and Florida.
Heading to Clatskanie, about an hour or so north of Portland, just across the Columbia from Longview, WA.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I recommend not using a case that has a battery backup for an electronic lock because it looks like a potential bomb from the x-ray so TSA will always ask for you to come back so you can open it for them. This is why I use a simple key lock box, nothing fancy.

Enjoy your trip in Oregon and enjoy that beautiful state.
Nothing fancy about the case, just a 3 digit combo lock. Amazon.com: GunVault NV300 NanoVault with Combination Lock: Home Improvement

And yes, Oregon is a gorgeous state. I can stand in my FIL's upper field and see Mt Hood, Mt Rainier, and Mt St Helens all at the same time, along with the Columbia River in the distance. The views are awesome.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These are from 2 summers ago when we were out there. I have no pics of Mt Hood.

Here's Mt St Helens right in the center between the tall pines.

Columbia River about 2 miles away.

It didn't show up in the pic, but Mt. Rainier is just barely visible in the distance on a day with no clouds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts