New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to buy a couple good flashlights (better than my Sam's Club Maglite specials) for the house & our vehicles. Want at least 3 of them for the house & 1 for each car. I want them to all be LED, tailcap click operated (no twisting) and be made in the USA. Not looking to spend a fortune on them either. Anyone give some good suggestions?

·
Registered
560 Posts
John - I think your going to have a hard time finding one that is made in the USA. Let me know if you come across anything decent. GL with the search :)

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Gander had some "tactical" lights on sale recently...sorry, i forget the brand, might be in house brand. I do love my Quark 123-2 tactical....

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Value has some on sale right now, about the size of the small maglites. They are led and have a laser in them with a strobe setting. I got mine a year ago and they still keep going. Even took put one of the in a scope ring for one of my ARs. They run about $10 but are a no-name brand.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Where are you willing to compromise? What about battery type? Lots of good LED flashlights run on lithius CR123 batteries, but there are some that take AA batteries. Personally, my current favorites are FENIX flashlights. I have one that is my EDC, another mounted to a shotgun, and another in my range bag. I keep another one in each car. They are expensive, and they are not made in the US. But they are bright, nearly indestructible, have adjustable light settings (including strobe) and have the rear tailcap button. I'd rather spend the money and get a quality flashlight made anywhere than compromise and get less of a light that I may not be able to depend on when I have to. I know my recommendation of Fenix doesn't meet most of your parameters, but having a good, reliable, bright, tough, easy to use flashlight is too important to compromise.

On the other hand, I do keep a few Mag-Lite AA LED flashlights in tool boxes, in the kitchen, etc... and find they are handy too. I have no idea where they are made, but they are affordable enough to keep a bunch around.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Whatever you find make sure you use Lithium batteries so when you need them they aren't out of juice.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Rechargeable or no?

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rechargeable or no?
No rechargeable. But I would rather have something that runs on AAA or AA than the CR123--easier to find the normal battery sizes god forbid that there is a some sort of disaster/world event.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just got a 4sevens Quark X 2AA tactical. It runs off 2 AAs (you can get eneloop rechargeables, and it's got more modes that you will use). The "tactical" difference is you program two modes for the flashlight, one with the head tightened, one with it loosened. With the normal 4sevens lights, you can go through a sequence of brightnesses and modes by either loosening or tightening the head, then clicking the tail cap. With this one, you have to go through a programming sequence to get to modes that you didn't preset.

I like it, and was able to get it for $25 off from optics planet because of a Google Offers deal.

I found Reddit's flashlight sub to be useful: flashlight

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
You are kind of shooting yourself in the foot with the "Made in USA" requirement. A lot of the best LED lights made today are made oversees. If you could drop that requirement, the Fenix TK41 is one of the best mid-size (2D Mag-Lite Size) on the market today, and it takes 8AA batteries. I load mine up with Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AAs (But it takes regular alkaline too) and it has 10, 100, 300, and 800 Lumen outputs. 800 is WAY brighter than any Mag-light and WAY brighter than most other LEDs. A bit cheaper is the Fenix LD20 with 180 Lumens.

I used to be a Mag-Lite only man myself, until I picked up my LD20 and paired it against my 2AA Mini-Mag LED.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You are kind of shooting yourself in the foot with the "Made in USA" requirement. A lot of the best LED lights made today are made oversees. If you could drop that requirement, the Fenix TK41 is one of the best mid-size (2D Mag-Lite Size) on the market today, and it takes 8AA batteries. I load mine up with Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AAs (But it takes regular alkaline too) and it has 10, 100, 300, and 800 Lumen outputs. 800 is WAY brighter than any Mag-light and WAY brighter than most other LEDs. A bit cheaper is the Fenix LD20 with 180 Lumens.

I used to be a Mag-Lite only man myself, until I picked up my LD20 and paired it against my 2AA Mini-Mag LED.
How long does it last at 800 lumens, and how hot does it get? My Quark only lasts around 45 minutes at 280 lumens.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
How long does it last at 800 lumens, and how hot does it get? My Quark only lasts around 45 minutes at 280 lumens.
2 hours, but you can only use the 800 lumen mode for 25 minutes at a time before it shuts off to cool down. I usually use the 100 lumen mode for daily stuff, the 300 for woods walking, and the 800 for searching for stuff in the woods.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts