New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was messing around with some 5 dollar LED flashlights that I found out fit perfectly into 1 inch scope rings lol.

Anyone else have/had or considered a flashlight on their AK? even for a cheapo I think this little thing was pretty effective, I can only imagine if I got a really good one.

Here is how I have it mounted, right next to the red dot, my side mount also has a side rail on it
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

This is my view (I turned the flashlight off it made the red dot dissappear in the camera, I could see it, my camera couldn't though)
Camera lens Automotive tire Audio equipment Automotive lighting Cameras & optics

Here is what the zombies would see, no flash on the camera to get the flashlight effect, if I had something more legit I can imagine whatever is at the end of my barrel would be plenty blind.
Cloud Window Wood Sky Tints and shades

Just thought I'd share, and yes I know my AK is way too tacticool for most peoples taste but I'm having fun with it since I don't have an AR yet and I like this style lol.

· Premium Member
4,405 Posts
you scared your cat dead on your bed i see

haha jk. looks like it worked well.

im trying find a cheapie mini light for my one AR that will fit on the magpul scout mount.

ETA: you will probably have bad bad shadowing with the light mounted that far back.

Consider drilling through the lower handguard and mounting a rail section onto it? Like bolt-on?

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you scared your cat dead on your bed i see

haha jk. looks like it worked well.

im trying find a cheapie mini light for my one AR that will fit on the magpul scout mount.

ETA: you will probably have bad bad shadowing with the light mounted that far back.

Consider drilling through the lower handguard and mounting a rail section onto it? Like bolt-on?
Lol yea my cat is a lazy ass, actually all 4 of them are really.

If you can get a single scope ring on your Magpul mount maybe put this thing on your AR, I've been looking at these, pretty impressive for not much money:

Jetbeam PC25 408 Lumens Tactical LED Flashlight CREE XM-L with Carry Case | eBay

here is a good review on it:

Jetbeam PC25 Review

· Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Lol yea my cat is a lazy ass, actually all 4 of them are really.

If you can get a single scope ring on your Magpul mount maybe put this thing on your AR, I've been looking at these, pretty impressive for not much money:

Jetbeam PC25 408 Lumens Tactical LED Flashlight CREE XM-L with Carry Case | eBay

here is a good review on it:

Jetbeam PC25 Review
im a cheap ass when it comes to certain gun parts haha, even a $50 light is a lot to me. I do have a Primary Arms light. Paid $75 used on it shipped. Its VERY bright. Just very big too...

heres my magpul scout mount. My cats are equally lazy as you can see...

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea it's expensive to me too really, I wasn't sure of your price range, I know guys who are like "Here's my 1500 upper and my 2000 dollar lower with a 1000 dollar barrel that I cut down and screwed up so I had to pay a gunsmith 500 dollars to weld this 250 dollar muzzle break onto it to make it legal."

All that is an exaggeration but you get the idea lol

And I'm just like "GOD! I WANT YOUR SALARY!" lol

Nice AR, and nice TV, I want an AR15 next, I went with AK first cuz it was cheaper and I very much like .30 caliber rounds.

Besides my .22s and shotguns my entire collection is .30 caliber so far.

· Registered
258 Posts
Yea it's expensive to me too really, I wasn't sure of your price range, I know guys who are like "Here's my 1500 upper and my 2000 dollar lower with a 1000 dollar barrel that I cut down and screwed up so I had to pay a gunsmith 500 dollars to weld this 250 dollar muzzle break onto it to make it legal."

All that is an exaggeration but you get the idea lol

And I'm just like "GOD! I WANT YOUR SALARY!" lol

Nice AR, and nice TV, I want an AR15 next, I went with AK first cuz it was cheaper and I very much like .30 caliber rounds.

Besides my .22s and shotguns my entire collection is .30 caliber so far.
When $$$ permits you might try a 7.62x39 AR, I built mine last year for right around $800 all together with the 3x9 I have on it.

I bought this light about 6 months ago for work Rayovac Roughneck LED 3AAA Tactical Flashlight and absolutely love it. I paid I think like $18 shipped. It looks like it would probably fit in a 1" ring but I havent tried it yet.

· Premium Member
4,405 Posts
You really arent exaggerating when there are guys out there that dish out $5000-8000 on some AR15 thats "match target milspec SEAL Team 6 approved" with their laser designators slapped onto it that they cant even use without NVG, a Thermal scope and 456345632 other accessories they will never need or use. Most of the time the guys who can afford the $5000 ARs are either....

1) filthy rich/independently wealthy

OR more often than not

2) Single

I fall into neither category, so yes I am in the same boat as you where the $75 flash light is a lot for well..a flash light haha

AKs are nice, and i was all into them when i first started out. Then when I saw what an AR15 was capable of at range, I made the switch... They are really impressive guns, and in the accuracy world, they run circles around AK types.

Once you get an AR, you will laugh as its so easy to plug and play and modify at will the rifle. AKs are a bit more difficult.
Things that need a grinder, welder, and gunsmith for on an AK...you just need a wrench, punch set, and 5 minutes of time on an AR to swap out. :cool:

When $$$ permits you might try a 7.62x39 AR, I built mine last year for right around $800 all together with the 3x9 I have on it.

I bought this light about 6 months ago for work Rayovac Roughneck LED 3AAA Tactical Flashlight and absolutely love it. I paid I think like $18 shipped. It looks like it would probably fit in a 1" ring but I havent tried it yet.
I see that company sell batteries at wallyworld . I wonder if they have any of those lights in stock? hmm

ETA: and if you want an AR15 and 7.62x39 caliber.. I STRONGLY urge you to look into the Sig556R series. The new run of them has had MUCH better reviews than the problematic 1st production series. They take AK mags, are piston driven, but have the controls of AR15s. AR15s in 7.62x39 are finnicky at best, and the magazine situation is a disaster (thats the weak point of those modified systems).

The Sig556R can be had for just tad bit more than the $800 AR in 7.62x39, and the best part of it...it takes unmodified AK mags!!!

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
I am just gonna go ahead and throw this out there lol. For fun then guys are on the right track to a cheaper alternative. For any real use where you expect it to keep working you really do have to get the lights made for weapons. Weapons lights are designed different on the inside so that the recoil doesnt break the internals of the light.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx for the link Warbane, I may go that route too it looks pretty decent.

I do like how many things you can do to an AR, but I also like having to grind, bend, twist, cut and drill my want into making the AK a badass rifle, I have yet to go to a gunsmith for any kind of work on any of my firearms (except once when I dented a very old bolt action shotgun magazine tube) and I'm kinda proud of that, one day I'll mess something up, and when I do I hope it's not too expensive, but I do have to say its fun playing "gunsmith" now and then haha.

I have been looking into cheaper AR platforms, I know rock river arms is cheap is price but is the quality horrible?

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OH NO,another CAT person !!!!!!
Hey I much prefer dogs, but working 8 hours a day and living in a 3rd story apartment in the middle of a small city makes it hard to own, I'd be coming home to pick up dog doo just about every day, for maintenance placing a box down for animal business is much easier right now, none of my cats have had an accident to date, even the 2 week old kitten I got never missed the box even though he had trouble jumping into it lol

One day when I get my own place I'll build a badass comfy doghouse for my furry friend and get an Alaskan Malamute or some kind of large mix of one.

BTW that AK has come a long way since you saw it hasn't it?

· Registered
258 Posts
ETA: and if you want an AR15 and 7.62x39 caliber.. I STRONGLY urge you to look into the Sig556R series. The new run of them has had MUCH better reviews than the problematic 1st production series. They take AK mags, are piston driven, but have the controls of AR15s. AR15s in 7.62x39 are finnicky at best, and the magazine situation is a disaster (thats the weak point of those modified systems).

The Sig556R can be had for just tad bit more than the $800 AR in 7.62x39, and the best part of it...it takes unmodified AK mags!!!
+1 on the disasterous magazines, I have had to really mod the hell out of everyone I have to get them to feed reliably. I have yet to come accross an out of the box reliable 7.62x39 AR magazine, and even a couple of the ones I have gotten to run smoother aren't problem free. But I still love that rifle hah. I get alot of questions when I take it to the range, at one time a range officer came over to me as I was taking it out of the case and told me I can't use those bullets in that gun.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did look into the 7.62x39mm SIGs, and I knew about the horrible ARs in 7.62x39 lol

If I get an AR it'll be in 5.56, time to change it up after 10 .30 caliber rifles lol.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
I have a flashlight/laser on an SA-85M mounted on the MI quad rail handguard. It's a good location because it can be toggled or use the momentary function with just some slight movement my thumb from the forward grip. I find it to work very well. I do like where your light is mounted as it probably doesn't affect the balance much or put more weight on the front end. I find the TLR-2 on the front to be a fairly negligible difference though, and it's nice to have the light or laser or both on only in the seconds you want them on with the momentary toggle.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a flashlight/laser on an SA-85M mounted on the MI quad rail handguard. It's a good location because it can be toggled or use the momentary function with just some slight movement my thumb from the forward grip. I find it to work very well. I do like where your light is mounted as it probably doesn't affect the balance much or put more weight on the front end. I find the TLR-2 on the front to be a fairly negligible difference though, and it's nice to have the light or laser or both on only in the seconds you want them on with the momentary toggle.
I like your setup too, how well does the zero hold on the gas piston tube mount? I tend to prefer my scopes closer to my eye.

I was looking at a way to get a decent light and have the toggle switch on my pistol grip so I can still turn it on or off without messing with too much, with the cheapo I got now I just shoulder tuck the buttstock and use my left hand to hit the button quick.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
I haven't actually fired that gun enough with the Eotech on there to give that a fair review. I would imagine though that they would hold just fine, because the MI handguards are mounted a bit different from most designs. This video explains it more easily than I would by text alone. Installing the Midwest Industries Rail System on an AK - YouTube
The lower half is aligned and then clamped on to the barrel. The upper half is then bolted on to the lower half. It really can't move anywhere once it's on right and tight. The disadvantage is that it doesn't have any block fit into the receiver at all, or the upper or lower handguard plates for that matter. That creates some larger gaps than normal for crap to get through into the receiver.

· Registered
522 Posts
Are those mako front handguards? Im looking for one that is 922r compliant... arnt makos made in israel or something?

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are those mako front handguards? Im looking for one that is 922r compliant... arnt makos made in israel or something?
I was thinking about that just today actually cuz they are stamped "Israel" on them, however some sights list them as 922(R) parts and CTD lists it as multiple manufacturers

Manufacturer: Multiple Manufacturers AKLU-47

AKS-034 - AK-47 Handguard Four Rail System Black MAKO Group Easy Install with No Tools

So to my knowledge they count as 922(R), isn't MAKO a US company anyway? So the patent has to be US, right? I'm not sure but at this point I don't wanna take the whole darn thing apart.

· Registered
522 Posts
Hmmm... its the grip i want.. but need the compliance... do you like it? Good heat dispersion?

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmmm... its the grip i want.. but need the compliance... do you like it? Good heat dispersion?
It seems fine to me, I'm pretty sure it is compliant, MAKO is a US company isn't it? I very much like the it, stands up to heat pretty good, it went through this without a hiccup.

AKs VS. Tree - YouTube

and that barrel was pretty damn hot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.