New York Firearms Forum banner

Flame suit on - budget build AR15.. under $500...

4K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  dsdmmat 
#1 ·
been shuffling parts around the shop, and stuff laying at home..and stuff sitting on display for demo...

$430 for a complete AR (minus the MI BUIS which came off a Stag AR I had and then sold)...

Yes, its a polymer New Frontier lower...and a cheapo R-Guns upper...but...hell....its $430!

See less See more
#3 ·
Well hell, if you were just looking to give away $430 you coulda got 1k rounds and give them out in the forum in 1~2~10 karmas
Now you're stuck without the $, without the bullets, without the karma love, and almost completely without anyone who will want the rifle should you see the error of your ways and try to get rid of it before it goes to hell in a handbasket.

Just because one 'can' do a thing doesn't mean one 'should' do a thing.

Darthgamer138 said:
And of course you fixed the stock and removed the lug, but just not yet when this pic was taken.
*cough*magpul(?) windowed normal cap mag*cough*

#4 ·
One of the things that kills the rest of us with budget builds is the fact that we need a pinned brake. Most of us can't DIY it so we have to spend $35+ or whatever on a brake and then pay someone to pin and weld it. That can add close to $100 to a build for us.

#8 ·
Now, you take that poly lower and install a plum crazy poly lower parts kit, then get a dedicated 22lr upper. (ati, chiappa, and cmmg have plastic upper receivers)
Take that upper and retrofit the barrel with one of the older 10/22 poly sleeve over aluminum barrel tube barrels.

Lose the buffer and spring, replace receiver extension with pvc tubing.

Net result is an ultra light weight carbine that has a minimum of metallic parts.
So few in fact that many 'screening booths' or walk through detectors may not even pick it up unless their sensitivity is jacked up a bit more than most seem to be at.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Those are just pictures I found doing an image search for "polymer lower receiver" on Google. These to me are about as good an idea as making your engine block out of polymer, sure it might last for a little bit but eventually the plastic will break do to the stress and constant heating and cooling.

#15 · (Edited)
Lowers never get hot from firing. The upper assy will. All the lower does is simply house the FCG.
Yes if you smash it against the ground with the buttstock at an angle with the stock extended, it may fail, but I don't plan on beating my guns haha

Two important things btw are, 1) it comes with factory warranty against defects, and 2), the lower cost me $80...
so even if it does break it didn't cost me anything as the M4 stock assembly alone is worth about that complete.

#14 ·
Nice build! If you get everything used or use the stuff you have laying around that you pulled off when you tacticooled your other AR you can usually do it for 500 bucks. Some lowers can still be found for 49 bucks on sale. I just built one for 600 bucks with a brand new bull barrel upper taking 400 dollars out of that budget. Of course when you throw on an EOtech it drives the cost over 1000, but it was a fun project.

#18 · (Edited)
I am not sure what is the point of saving a few hundred on an AR when you are going to be shooting 5.56 ammo through it anyway.
If it was for a 22LR plinker I would say, yes go and use some lower cost parts but otherwise you got yourself a real bad investment.
Maybe in a backpacking, light barrel, really low shooting type of configuration. I am not sure.
The heart of the AR is a good BCG with a good barrel and a simple yet nice up to spec T6 receiver.
Therefore I think it is best to maybe go slower and save the money for a little better quality on each of the key components.

#20 ·
It's ok to skimp if it's not your only AR. When you have 10+, a little variety in configuration and price point is good.
Saving a few hundred in one build is a lot of money , as this has essentially cost me 2/3 the price point of a normal aluminum lower carbine.
As for a disclaimer , I would but I had to remove the fact I'm a FFL from my sig line because I'm not a paying vendor. So after that, I try not to post anything about it. Just sharing pics.

#21 ·
I'm all about building an affordable AR, especially if funds are tight, and I like how yours turned out. But the lower isn't someplace I'd skimp, just to save a few bucks and a few oz's worth of weight.

#23 ·
you don't save much on weight...its minimal really once you mount it to the upper
Query: why not go with a pencil or lightened barrel?
Cost is no different from what I've looked at, and they are without doubt lighter than an M4 profile.

If you wanted to get really silly weight wise, there's someone out there selling a super light BCG but they are kinda pricey so would defeat the low budget angle.

#28 ·
Well that's them being goofy then considering an M16 carrier doesnt fall under NFA control.
Or at least there are several ATF letters out there that pretty much say 'so effin what' in regard to carriers.
Now if you've got am M16 FCG, then theres issues, but a FA carrier can be in anyones possesion with no hassle, papers, taxes, stamps or special permissions.

#33 ·
no doubt, i dont disagree with you at all about that.

I plan to run a lot of rounds through these polymer lowers, and see how they hold up. Surely if i have an issue i will be sure to post about it here (on the forum in general).

It will be fun and interesting :)

#34 ·
From a design and plastics standpoint, they are bound for failure. When something has been designed to be made of aluminum, and someone tries to copy it using the same form factor it just doesn't work. When things like shrinkage due to wall thickness, flow convergence, and a lower yield and ultimate strength.

You can't just make a plastic part the same shape as a metal one and expect to to perform, it needs a full redesign.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.