New York Firearms Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
I'm all about building an affordable AR, especially if funds are tight, and I like how yours turned out. But the lower isn't someplace I'd skimp, just to save a few bucks and a few oz's worth of weight.

you don't save much on weight...its minimal really once you mount it to the upper
Query: why not go with a pencil or lightened barrel?
Cost is no different from what I've looked at, and they are without doubt lighter than an M4 profile.

If you wanted to get really silly weight wise, there's someone out there selling a super light BCG but they are kinda pricey so would defeat the low budget angle.

Cost is no different from what I've looked at, and they are without doubt lighter than an M4 profile.

If you wanted to get really silly weight wise, there's someone out there selling a super light BCG but they are kinda pricey so would defeat the low budget angle.
he probably had that barrel lying around the shop... all in all id buy it for more than what it cost him to build it and most of use would, stop the hate guys. we all know its just cuz he gets to play with these cool toys and most of us wont ever even touch one

Discussion starter · #25 ·

Zeroskin is right about the upper...it was a spare one that I had , ive had it on display at shows and at the shop for LE purchase, so they can see that non-NY legal guns are also available for purchase. It was more for looks than anything, and people love the m203 cut outs on the barrel (I like them too as they are aesthetically pleasing).

If I was to get a pencil/lightweight barrel I would slap it onto my DSA/LW-15 New Frontier build, as its a 14.5 with perm fixed MB. MOE furn set. The thing is LIGHT already. I cant imagine it with a fluted barrel or pencil barrel. It would be silly light if I did that.

Lightweight BCG? That would be interesting no doubt. I havnt seen it on the market ever though?

Thats the great thing about the AR market, there is always something new being made and designed. Every week theres a new product hitting the market, and a new fad comes along. Middys, lightweights, Magpul, DD's, Colt, Retro, Mil clones, NiB BCGs, 14.5s, billet builds...etc etc.
Too many options!

Well that's them being goofy then considering an M16 carrier doesnt fall under NFA control.
Or at least there are several ATF letters out there that pretty much say 'so effin what' in regard to carriers.
Now if you've got am M16 FCG, then theres issues, but a FA carrier can be in anyones possesion with no hassle, papers, taxes, stamps or special permissions.

Neat products, pricey though no doubts there.
The full mass carrier looks pretty cool.

Kinda hokey they won't sell a M16 BCG without NFA paperwork or if it goes to LE.
ehh there are people that are scaredto sell anything that they think is regulated. I tried to buy some post ban mags for use at my grandfather's house in PA. The guy would not sell them to me because my billing address was in NY even though they would have been shipped to PA. He said you cannot legally buy them because you are in NY. He went so far as to say I willnot ship them to any state knowing that you are in NY. I wonder when I became a serf, I dont remember having to have a passport to travel outside the People's Republic of NY. The law says no possession in NY which is why a lot of my stuff never made it to this state when I got stationed here.. When I am shooting in PA nobody asks me for my Driver's license. Just makes no sense to me, I had more freedom in Afghanistan.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
It is literally $40 more for a high quality forged aluminum lower... $40.
Entire LW-15 lower complete was $80....

Aluminum lower say $65-110 Plus $90-140 for m4 lower build kit.

Complete alum lower alrdy assembled is $225 cheapest. Vs $80 for a complete polymer one. That's ~$140 savings in reality

In any case I picked them up just to play with and test out.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Ahh, makes a little more sense.

But then again I don't want to have to treat my guns like they're made of glass...
no doubt, i dont disagree with you at all about that.

I plan to run a lot of rounds through these polymer lowers, and see how they hold up. Surely if i have an issue i will be sure to post about it here (on the forum in general).

It will be fun and interesting :)

From a design and plastics standpoint, they are bound for failure. When something has been designed to be made of aluminum, and someone tries to copy it using the same form factor it just doesn't work. When things like shrinkage due to wall thickness, flow convergence, and a lower yield and ultimate strength.

You can't just make a plastic part the same shape as a metal one and expect to to perform, it needs a full redesign.

The sad thing is I believe you lol
Fortunately for me while I was over there my mission ( Division Safety Officer) allowed me to travel at will. I got to go on a lot of helicopter (US and other), fixed wing and convoys. I always had a M9 pistol on me with 3 evil magazines andcould pretty much go anywhere I needed to go. That is a lot of freedom to have in a war zone.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.