New York Firearms Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I like my Ka-bar fighting knife for camping, but it is on the big side. I want a Becker.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
As stated above i have the becker bk2, and the rat 5. Both are great knives, the becker is thicker at a full 1/4" (and it measures on the heavy side of that which i good). That makes it better for chopping and prying. The rat 5 is 3/16" (and also measures on the heavy side of that number). This s still a heavy duty knie that can chop and do all you need. I personally like the handle better on the rat, but i love both.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'll throw a +1 in for the ESEE-5 (or any ESEE model). A solid quarter-inch of 1095 steel, with a Rowan heat treat, backed with the best warranty in the industry. Form their website:

If you break it, we will replace it. Warranty is lifetime and transferable. In other words, we warranty the knife no matter how many times it's been traded, sold or given away - no sales receipt or proof of purchase required.

You can't ask for much better than that... They have a bunch of models, many of which are less "extreme". To me the 5 is a top choice for a get-home-bag, where you might need to use a knife for "non-knife" tasks like prying, opening doors, et cetera...

Another alternative I can recommend is the SwampRat Knives RatManDu. One of the most comforable handles of any knife I own:

Available now: Ratmandu CG - Swamp Rat Knife Works Store

SwampRat is an offshoot of Busse knives. SwampRat's don't normally use Busse's secret-sauce INFI "supersteel", rather what they call SR-101: a tweaked 52100 steel with another fantastic heat-treat. Takes and holds a great edge. Very durable.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
My bag has a becker bk-2 and a mora. The bk-2 is heavy and bulky, but pretty much indestructible. The mora is lighter and good for finer tasks. I don't much like the scandi grind on it, but it does the job well.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have a Esee 4 and a Esee Izula. Both are fantastic for their intended purposes. I also have a KofA Bush Camp. Also a solid workhorse.

If I had to grab one fixed blade in a bug out scenario it would be the 4" Esee. Perfect balance, weight and grip. Great blade and edge retention and pretty much indestructible. I think a solid 4" knife is an ideal bug-out size.

·
Registered
894 Posts
New, do most anything aquisition -- Treeman Knives ( Jim Behring ) 8" Combat Bowie. 01 tool steel, black cerakoted blade of 1/4" stock. Heavy enough to do some serious tree chopping if needed, you gotta handle it to appreciate it. I have seveeral of Jim's knives, -- and his son, James Jr. makes some fantastic knives, also, -- you can see James Jr.'s knives at: Behringmade.com Tool Wood Knife Wood stain Hardwood
Tool Wood Hunting knife Knife Utility knife

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I like the Kabar and the Ontario Knives

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Found out my Esee-3mil serrated was delivered today. 3.3" cutting&3.8" overall blade length. I picked the last one up the place had for $79 no tax/free ship. Wanted a fixed under 4" when/if I ever go through the ass crack of NY again. Seems like a good size EDC fixed blade
Pliers Helmet Hand tool Tool Hunting knife

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Picked up a Tops Fieldcraft BOB. Great thread.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I just got a handmade knife from the BST on Bladeforums that I'm very pleased with.
I'd change a few things if I could like add jimping and round the bottoms of the handles but the knife is fine as is.

This is my first non production knife and will not be buying anything from a box store again.

5/32 thick 1095 steel
Acid Etched Finish
3 1/8" blade, 8" OAL
304 Stainless fittings
Makore handles with a Danish Oil finish
No sheath included
$50

The maker is a younger fellow that has improved much . His new offerings are very nice and I will have him make me a bushcraft style blade shortly.
There are many makers that have some really nice products but Austin Goldman is very affordable ( sub $100).

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...nives-Exotic-Handles?highlight=austin+goldman

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1399817-1-AEB-L-Knife-Mosaic-Pins-Price-Drop

Attachments

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I just got a handmade knife from the BST on Bladeforums that I'm very pleased with.
I'd change a few things if I could like add jimping and round the bottoms of the handles but the knife is fine as is.

This is my first non production knife and will not be buying anything from a box store again.

5/32 thick 1095 steel
Acid Etched Finish
3 1/8" blade, 8" OAL
304 Stainless fittings
Makore handles with a Danish Oil finish
No sheath included
$50

The maker is a younger fellow that has improved much . His new offerings are very nice and I will have him make me a bushcraft style blade shortly.
There are many makers that have some really nice products but Austin Goldman is very affordable ( sub $100).

5 1095 Knives Exotic Handles

1 AEB-L Knife - Mosaic Pins - Price Drop
DAMN! Handmade 1095 (Ka-Bar steel) with all that outer stuff for $50!?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.