New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a gun guy. I am not a knife guy. Sure, I own some knives, some very good ones. All that I have are folding knives. EDC types.

I am looking for input on a good fixed blade knife for my BOB. I have been looking around and reading as much as possible, but many conflicting reviews.

My budget is around the $150-175 range.

Tell me your good, your bad and your why's.

Thank you

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
First off, you need more than one for your BOB...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
What size? Glock makes a fairly good fixed blade..

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

·
Registered
14,522 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
I like the Ka-Bar knives as a survial/ SHTF knife. Can be had in various style & sizes.
I have a BK2 (kinda bulky), BK14 (compact/easy to pack/carry), Navy MK1, BK16 (nice balance), and a BK10 (my latest BK).
I'm also a fan of the RAT knives.
I also have a Gerber LMF. Nice knife, but I not a fan of (partial) serated blades. just my preference.

Would like to get a Helle or Bark River (beautiful) knife for hunting.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Like guns what is your primary purpose? General survival? Combat? Check out the Tops BOB similar to Esse. Ontario I believed made esse before esse started to produce their own.

If your looking for somthing bigger there is the Tops Hero.

A stainless Esse is on my wish list.

The Tops BOB, Esse and Ontario are kind of the standard survival design.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like guns what is your primary purpose? General survival? Combat? Check out the Tops BOB similar to Esse. Ontario I believed made esse before esse started to produce their own.

If your looking for somthing bigger there is the Tops Hero.

A stainless Esse is on my wish list.

The Tops BOB, Esse and Ontario are kinds the standard survival design.
Basically a general all purpose work knife.

I am going to buy a few of them for different bags. Always trying to update.

So far, thanks a lot for the ideas. Like guns, there are so many to chose from.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I think you will find that any of the bushcraft/survival knifes would fit your all purpose needs. The general consensus seems to be 4-5" blade works just fine for general purpose, larger blades obviously for heavier tasks 7+ sizes you start getting into choppers.

I picked up up a shrade37m fit and finish not the best but a decent amount of knife for the price. They make a smaller version also, if your looking to set up a few bags they are a decent price for a thick full tang blade.

I have since sold the knife didn't find it practical, 7" disnt feel like a good chopper to me and felt to big for most general use. I'm going with a 5" and think a folding saw for my camping gear.

Obviously its its all personal preference but I don't think you'd be disappointed with a 4-5" add a chopper to your main pack like the jungles or a folding saw down the road.

Basically a general all purpose work knife.

I am going to buy a few of them for different bags. Always trying to update.

So far, thanks a lot for the ideas. Like guns, there are so many to chose from.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Just to toss another wrench in if I may, for everyday utility not so much BOB survival check out the Boker Ridgeback, it's a licensed Bill Coye design but at a fraction of the custom cost, the fit and finish are exceptional for a production knife. in my bag, on my belt, or in my glove box it's always somewhere close. great little blade.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
I love my heavy Becker for bushcraft, but to have in a bag ready to go, hard to beat a Mora for light weight, and quality for a value price.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.