New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happens? fine amount?

My buddy has been hasslein me to go. but im pretty sure he doesnt have a license yet. If dec stops us and he doesnt have his license what happens? can it affect me or just him?

my usual partner says I could get the ticket.... which im doubting. ive allways had a license so i have no clue what repurcutions are.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
It's all on him unless he's your driver and he's wisked off to court without you knowing it then denied a ride back to his truck. Happened to a friend of mine, he thought bigfoot must have taken him.:rofl:

ETA He also had left over dried up grubs from ice fishing and that was the biggie in a no live bait ADK pond.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol... so i shouldnt worry about it then.. just pull a "what the heck man i didnt know u didnt have your license"

lol

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I know having a campfire in eastern high peaks is a $250 fine so I am going to assume that would be the fine or it could be more. I think a multiday license is around 15 while season (whats left of it) is 29. Just tell your buddy its nothing personal and that you always make sure who you fish with has a permit and ask to see it.

I wouldnt think you would get a ticket because you are licensed. I dont know of any rule saying you are responsible for every other person you are fishing with but I have never looked to be honest.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Unless it was changed he can go but he cannot touch a fishing rod, bait ( or chum) or tackle. Period. He cannot help you in any way to land or net your catch. Basically all he can do is stand there telling you what you are doing wrong. LOL
First fine is $150 to $250 plus court fee, confiscation of all fishing equipment and not only his but both and the boat if DEC wants too.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I got a warning once. That was it though. I was young and didn't know I needed a license since I was throwing them back.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sporting License Fees - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

A one day permit costs $5. Tell your buddy to do the right thing and just buy the license. It will bring him good fishing karma, and it will save him the pain of paying a huge fine if you were to get checked.
Also consider what Highlander mentioned above; if you have a boat that he's fishing in, I would tell him that he needs the license as you may be at risk of losing your equipment. I'm not sure if that's still the case or not, but I've heard stories of people's equipment being seized for hunting violations.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
I'm with Wacky Worm, for $5 buy the one day license. How else can you have a full day of fun for that much money? Pretty hard to beat.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$5 is exactly what we did. took to wallyworld at 7am... didnt catch anything but a sunburn... but thats the barge for ya. sometimes shes a ***** and sometimes shes a goddess..

gave up round noon and went and cranked out some .22lr for a bit

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I got caught as a kid (back when I was 14-15), and just got a warning. DEC guy told me he let me go because I didn't have any fish in the bucket and as long as the bucket stayed empty I was good to go. LOL.

On the other hand, a few years later, a friend of mine was fined because he kept a large mouth bass out of season. We hadn't caught sh*t all day then he hooked in a bass (about 14") and wanted to throw it on the grill. Our boat was stopped just a few hundred yards from the dock and the bass turned out to be the most expensive meal my buddy ever ate.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
gave up round noon and went and cranked out some .22lr for a bit
Sounds like the day turned out to be a winner, a little .22lr is always good for the spirit. ;)

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
the best thing to do would be not to get involved in criminal activity...some how...some way... it will cause you grief

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Unless it was changed he can go but he cannot touch a fishing rod, bait ( or chum) or tackle. Period. He cannot help you in any way to land or net your catch. Basically all he can do is stand there telling you what you are doing wrong. LOL
First fine is $150 to $250 plus court fee, confiscation of all fishing equipment and not only his but both and the boat if DEC wants too.
Will they auction off the tackle cause I really could use some new stuff!! (good advice :cheers: )

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
What happens? fine amount?

My buddy has been hasslein me to go. but im pretty sure he doesnt have a license yet. If dec stops us and he doesnt have his license what happens? can it affect me or just him?

my usual partner says I could get the ticket.... which im doubting. ive allways had a license so i have no clue what repurcutions are.
DEC fines are no joke,and the officers are known to be real pricks so if I were you I wouldn't take the chance....!

·
Registered
664 Posts
A guy I trout fish with forgot to get his licence last year before we went opening day. He got a ticket, first offence 50 bucks. Plus a wasted day off work, Not worth the hassle for what a licence cost.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got caught as a kid (back when I was 14-15), and just got a warning. DEC guy told me he let me go because I didn't have any fish in the bucket and as long as the bucket stayed empty I was good to go. LOL.
Sounds like you had an ECO either BS'ing you or just being an a**-hole. I see you're the same age as me, and I know that back then, you didn't need a fishing license until you were 16 years old. Or were you doing something else wrong?
I don't know what the reg. is now. I buy a super-sportsman every year, so to me it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you are broke and starving, you can fish w/o a liscense. other than than that, support conservation. One of the few things that the money stays where it belongs, ATV fee nope, ammo fees nope,lotto nope

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
This makes me glad I bought my lifetime sportsman. I never have to worry about not having a license. I've been contemplating buying my wife her lifetime fishing (she's not much for hunting) for the same reason.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Why should you have to buy a license to fish is the question I'm asking? You pay taxes right? Then you should be able to fish all you want.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts