New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive been fishing the past few days on Oneida lake and my buddy and I have found a pretty sweet spot to catch walleye, but I was wondering if anyone else might now of some other spots that we could pull some bigger walleye out of. I was also wondering if anyone had any good spots on the lake for large and small mouth bass as the season opens Saturday. So far the biggest walleye we have caught is 23 inches.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
If you could PM that spot for the walleye I would be much appreciated! I have not fished that lake but I just got back from the 1000 islands. Around chippewa bay (if your willing to go up there I can get details) we were going for pike which is normarly this time of year a easy thing to get but we just got some perch and a bunch of small mouth. average size was around 16 inches. we got a couple 12 inch ones and some around 19 inches but most were around 16 to 17 inches and really healthy. You cant target the bass before bass season where we were and we werent. I guess Bass is all people were catching up there and only heard of a couple people actually getting pike.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
So Ive been fishing the past few days on Oneida lake and my buddy and I have found a pretty sweet spot to catch walleye, but I was wondering if anyone else might now of some other spots that we could pull some bigger walleye out of. I was also wondering if anyone had any good spots on the lake for large and small mouth bass as the season opens Saturday. So far the biggest walleye we have caught is 23 inches.
This past weekend was great on Oneida. Buddy and I went out and caught 30 eyes by 9 am. After the lake flattened we were catching smallies 2 at a time on topwater. His son wanted to catch a bass (never keep them even when they are in season) Many of the shoals are good to drop shot for drop shoting for smallies. That will get you quantity but maybe not quality. Where are you launching? I have fished a few tourneys on Oneida and got into the large mouth east of three mile bay. Throwing blue and white spinner baits and jigs (with craw trailer) right along the under cut shore line. We took second place with a bag of only large mouth. Most were weighing in a mixed bag.

Spro frogs also work. This is a good way to catch large mouth on the lake ( and river) when it's flat.

Dean Rojas Pulls Off Win w/Spro Bronzeye Frog At Oneida

·
Registered
982 Posts
Years ago I fished off of Sylvan Beach with a local. We used flutter spoons, trolling with our arms over the side. Pull forward, let it drop, pull forward, let it drop. Is that what you do? Every boat in the vicinity had an arm or two off the side looking like a pendulum. First time I ever saw that but it worked.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Friend had a good day on the river in Endicott. We have already hooked up with a few musky this season. He caught this one in the rain last Sunday.

Water Cloud Sky Lake Tree

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This past weekend was great on Oneida. Buddy and I went out and caught 30 eyes by 9 am. After the lake flattened we were catching smallies 2 at a time on topwater. His son wanted to catch a bass (never keep them even when they are in season) Many of the shoals are good to drop shot for drop shoting for smallies. That will get you quantity but maybe not quality. Where are you launching? I have fished a few tourneys on Oneida and got into the large mouth east of three mile bay. Throwing blue and white spinner baits and jigs (with craw trailer) right along the under cut shore line. We took second place with a bag of only large mouth. Most were weighing in a mixed bag.

Spro frogs also work. This is a good way to catch large mouth on the lake ( and river) when it's flat.

Dean Rojas Pulls Off Win w/Spro Bronzeye Frog At Oneida
We launch at free mac which is off of 31 so far this year we have stay down on the sylvan beach end of the lake havent been on the other side just yet.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Been fishing the Susquehanna all season so far and the walleye bite been good but not spectacular.Biggest one was 24 inches,and alot smaller ones.I am at around 60 keepers this season which is average.Saturday and Sunday was good fishing we pulled out a giant cat and a nice musky!

·
Registered
522 Posts
god i need a serious fishing buddy. so boring by yourself from shore. cant launch my boat solo. :(

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Been fishing the Susquehanna all season so far and the walleye bite been good but not spectacular.Biggest one was 24 inches,and alot smaller ones.I am at around 60 keepers this season which is average.Saturday and Sunday was good fishing we pulled out a giant cat and a nice musky!

So how they say: "Give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime"? I almost feel bad for the fish, lol. Nice work!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
More like, give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he sits in a boat drinking beer all day.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Some more walleye we got this morning!We have a honey hole that is absolutely loaded with fish in my river.Millions of bait-fish and seems like all the predators from miles around are in there loading there guts up with them LOL!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ive been pulling in the limit each day I go out to onieda for walleye, but nothing outstanding. What are you using to catch the walleye?

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Right now only live bait will catch them consistently here on the river,and that is/using live Stone-Cats.There are some huge walleye here but they are a different fish entirely IMO,smart/nocturnal or something cause ya dont get many LOL!!!!Here's a big one I caught ice fishing a couple years ago,you can get bigger ones then it seams...

·
Registered
164 Posts
i live in lewiston ny but we go fishing in the cohocton river in the southern tear by stuben county....great spot for almost any fish. the stream is small enough that you can get your wadders on and get in the water and fly fish and pull em out all day long. its not a far ride from the CUSE, but hey if your serious about fishing the travel is half the fun. another good spot is the lower river in the niagara gorge. great fishing hole(cant go in the water though, not if you want to live) lol. cheers boys. i usually only go out on a boat in the fall i love to walk the streams all spring and summer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts