New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First-person armed citizen! A confrontation in Urbana, IL | GunsSaveLife.com

"It has been estimated that between 200,000 to 300,000 righteous use of a firearm in the defense or possible defense of innocent life go unreported each year because the firearm is either never discharged or an armed citizen never reported the incident even after discharging their firearm since no deaths were involved. In each case the armed, law-abiding citizen says he or she believes they may have been killed, kidnapped or severely injured if they hadn't pulled their pistol. I am now one of those people."

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
The reality of it is if you live in the state of new york you are totally and royally screwed if confronted outside of your home (even in your home the courts will rip you apart). I pray to God I never end up in the situation the author described because if I did...I'd probably be dead (if the man was armed and wished to harm me). Thanks New York State.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
The reality of it is if you live in the state of new york you are totally and royally screwed if confronted outside of your home (even in your home the courts will rip you apart). I pray to God I never end up in the situation the author described because if I did...I'd probably be dead (if the man was armed and wished to harm me). Thanks New York State.
Not a chance... I'll take my chances being Judged by 12... : )

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You are right Bob, N.Y. sucks. However, if push ever came to shove for me....I will push back.....HARD.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
There's too much wrong with that story and Hank sounds like an idiot to me.
He seemed to be driving his Hyundai and the other person involved was a pedestrian. Hank slowed down because the pedestrian made in uncomfortable. He wound up stopping , which never should have happened and wouldn't have happened if he hadn't slowed "way down" in the first place. Then he's waving an empty gun around. Sorry but Hank sounds more like a mall ninja than a guy that's really responsible enough to have a gun on him.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
My dad was telling me about a case where a guy in Queens had his business burglarized all the time, so he decided to guard it himself since the police weren't (not that that's they're job to guard individual businesses.) Sure enough someone broke in, and he gave several commands to "get on the ground" to detain the guy at gunpoint, the guy didn't comply and didn't leave which freaked him out (rightfully so!) so he fired, to prevent him from reaching for anything, which given the circumstances and NY law, he was justified to do. It turns out the burglar was mentally retarded and deaf, so he was convicted of MURDER charges. As if you're supposed to know during a tense situation like that what all the circumstances are surrounding the threat ahead of time. Great place we live.

NYS should ban all non-psychics from owning guns, since we need to be able to predict the future beforehand

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
There's too much wrong with that story and Hank sounds like an idiot to me.
He seemed to be driving his Hyundai and the other person involved was a pedestrian. Hank slowed down because the pedestrian made in uncomfortable. He wound up stopping , which never should have happened and wouldn't have happened if he hadn't slowed "way down" in the first place. Then he's waving an empty gun around. Sorry but Hank sounds more like a mall ninja than a guy that's really responsible enough to have a gun on him.
It really does sound like he was looking for trouble. If you see someone acting weird and you're in a vehicle, you should always LEAVE, not slow down to see what the suspicious person is doing. You aren't a cop and it isn't your job. Every time someone remotely instigates anything like this bad things happen. Why would you ever want to put yourself in a position where you NEEDED to use your firearm be it brandishing or firing if you don't need to? My personal opinion of the whole thing about stand your ground is that it is an exemption so that reasonable people like us don't get jammed up in court during a self-defense shooting situation. Like in NY, there is a duty to retreat. A prosecutor will always have a means to show the court how you could have retreated during that situation, be it jumping out a window to succumb to serious injury or otherwise to avoid the shooting. In Florida, that doesn't exist, so the prosecutor couldn't do that. This doesn't mean you slow down so you can draw down on a guy. I think the law was written, and I think most gun owners would agree, that you still have a moral obligation to avoid things like this whenever feasible. Out of the entire population, we need to be the ones to remain calm, level headed, and in control. Because at the end of the day, when that other person decides to escalate the situation, we have the means and ability to defend ourselves.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
IMHO, Hank needs to take some classes. I hope he learns from this experience.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Hank is not the brightest bulb...he should have never slowed down.

If a pedestrian has the nerve to get in front of a vehicle moving at legal speed, he deserves to become part of the front grill.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hank is not the brightest bulb...he should have never slowed down.

If a pedestrian has the nerve to get in front of a vehicle moving at legal speed, he deserves to become part of the front grill.
Only problem with this mentality is that here in NY, you will be charged with a crime and convicted.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Not a chance... I'll take my chances being Judged by 12... : )
My point was down here you can't get a concealed carry permit (unless you're a politician or very wealthy, I am neither). I'd rather be judged than dead too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts