New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i handed in all my paperwork for my pistol permit.....

I have been looking at either the XD 9mm or the Ruger SR9C

any suggestions or comments... any other makers or models.. id like to keep it 9mm

Thanks

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I am convinced everyone should have a glock 19 as a first handgun, and specially those planning to have only one handgun.

Reasons:
- Size feels right for most to carry.
- Spartan yet rough and easy to maintain.
- Also inexpensive aftermarket for anything one can imagine
- Great preban mags, 15, 17 and 33 rounders.
- Mag compatibility with many other systems.
- Glock customer service.
- Relentless reliability.

Glock = The AK of the pistols.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
So i handed in all my paperwork for my pistol permit.....

I have been looking at either the XD 9mm or the Ruger SR9C

any suggestions or comments... any other makers or models.. id like to keep it 9mm

Thanks
What do you plan on doing with it? Target shoot? CCW? Collect?

It is all about what feels good to you. Saying something like "Glock period" is not right. I'd prefer a Walther P99 or PPQ in 9mm to a Glock anyday. Take the Glock and add features and functionality to it and basically you get all these other brands. I can't speak for the XD or Ruger, but with the Walthers you get a much better take-down catch, superior trigger and far better ergonomics with things like the grip, mag release and slide release. Both guns you have picked out already though are fantastic firearms. You will hear nothing but great things about them. The only complaint I can offer with them is with the SR9c. While shooting it I was informed that the "slide stop is not a slide release", (and I could not manipulate it no matter how hard I pushed) which I think is nonsense, but others on here said both "yeah, that is true", and "no, mine does not do that".

·
Registered
261 Posts
Something else to weigh in making your decision... availability of accessories such as holsters. Any of the big names (and even most of the cheap manufacturers) will go boom whenever the trigger is pulled, it's all about ergonomics & fit.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Get what you want. You can get more when you learn what features you like and want.

·
Banned
478 Posts
I am convinced everyone should have a glock 19 as a first handgun, and specially those planning to have only one handgun.

Reasons:
- Size feels right for most to carry.
- Spartan yet rough and easy to maintain.
- Also inexpensive aftermarket for anything one can imagine
- Great preban mags, 15, 17 and 33 rounders.
- Mag compatibility with many other systems.
- Glock customer service.
- Relentless reliability.

Glock = The AK of the pistols.
This only works for people that the gun actually fits. There are quite a few people, including myself, that cant stand the way they fit in your hand.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Call some friends with guns and try theirs. That way you'll know if you like it before you buy. But don't worry if its not perfect. You'll be buying more.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i went with the sr9c for my first handgun purchase. i think it is a great gun, reliable and good size for both target shooting and ccw purpose if you choose to do both.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
This only works for people that the gun actually fits. There are quite a few people, including myself, that cant stand the way they fit in your hand.
The generation four has customizable grips. Aftermarket sells customized receivers in many shapes and forms.
All other attributes apply so there is no functional impact in the system.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since I am in Jefferson county I went for concealed.carry.. so let's hope I can actually get it. I have shot glocks before they were okay and the m9. My sister in law has the Sig Sauer I might try that when I my permit. Be like 6 months to a year.

·
Registered
35 Posts
See how many you can shoot first definately handle many.. I like that SR9C even though not a huge fan of Ruger handguns.. I
am huge fan of springfield 1911's but not the xd.. So if you catch my drift.. our opinion is not really worth much and the more you get into shooting the more particular you will probably get with your hardware.. Good Luck and congrats on your permit!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I hate the feel too, REALLY hate it. Guess what? I shoot it really well, the results dont lie.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have a Sr9c and a Xd45 although I have not handled the smaller xd 9mm compacts. I have a real soft spot my Sr9c whereas the Xd is more of just a tool or shooting device to me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts