New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my first deer ever.
45-70 under 100 yards, bullet went in and out, touching the spine, this fella didn't even heard the shot!
Gutting the deer was much easier and less gruesome than I though.
I use this video as a guide Field Dressing Large Game - Deer - YouTube
Skinning, cutting the grease out is pretty straight forward, butchering I'm predicting to be as simple..
Ok, some pics! ;)

my two helpers, Smith and Wesson.

yummy!

· Registered
3,441 Posts
nice , I buy a 6 pack of snap off cutting blade cutters at the dollar store and use them to skin, sharp as hell, just keep snapping the blade off, I use my good knife to cut open and disembowel, and and oldie to cut the ribcage to cut the esophagus

· Registered
2,028 Posts
Nice. I'm too lazy to butcher my own, so I have a professional butcher do it for me. :)

Just watch out for ticks, both on you and your dogs. Deers usually have many ticks, at least around here and many of them carry lyme's disease.

I even keep my dog up to date on his tick repellent/killer stuff and he still got lyme's disease, but we caught it early enough so there were no major problems.

· Registered
6,189 Posts
Venison tastes so much better when you butcher yourself. Most butchers saw bone to save time, which can make the dear taste gamey.
My wife's cousin has a great way to butcher a deer that doesn't require cutting any bone (he doesn't even halve them). He hangs them by the neck, skins them from the head down, then works his way down, quartering them up. He takes the front legs off, pulls off the backstraps, and removes the hind legs. Then they get run into the house where his wife bones them, and his son (at least a few years ago, when he was younger) vacuum seals them. It's a great system!

· Registered
1,758 Posts
Congrats!

And kudos to you guys who are not afraid to post doe and spike harvests! We all know that they taste the best :)

· Registered
4,955 Posts
My hunting buddy and I spent a good 6-7 hours butchering up his dad's 160 lb. 8-point as well as my doe which weighed in at over 110 lbs. dressed. The Doe meat was much easier to cut and slice while the buck meat was quite a bit tougher (and leaner). You definitely feel a sense of accomplishment though after butchering your own deer. I can't say I would do it again this season though. Next deer is headed for the processor (there is one down the road from where I live).

· Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Deer 2.0 is in the books! :D

Have to thank my dog, Niko, I heard him barking and pointing at the deer location. Run upstairs, got my 45-70 and slowly walk to a safe place to shot. 120 yards away they were starting to walk away from me, so I have to take the shot.
Just like the fist one, drop dead on the spot. Bullet went through and through the ribs. I guess @ 100-120 yards the 45-70 is shooting a tad high.
Anyhow, tomorrow I'm "Juanjo, the butcher" again. :)

· Registered
783 Posts
Be sure to clean ALL the fat off your meat before cooking. Venison is delicious, the fat however will gag a maget. If you are making burger, a pork butt ground in will add some "glue" to keep your patties together.

Congratulations!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.