New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to lose the 20 pounds I just found, and another 20 needs to go as well. (I just quit smoking, and the weight came swiftly)

I need to buy a Gun belt.

I need 1 size bigger jeans as well, atleast until the weight comes off...lol.

I need to stop pulling my shirt down, and realize it's not showing.....lol.

Anyone use the N82tactical IWB? http://n82tactical.com/n82store/?page_id=1792

Thoughts on it?

I'm using a Crossbreed Supertuck, and carrying a Kimber Ultra CDP LG, but the grips grind into my chubb roll when I'm riding in the car, we went to Gowanda today to meet some friends for lunch, and I'm telling you, if my grips had said " Crimson Trace" on them, you could have read that too...lol.

It looks like the N82 IWB has a pad between the grip and your skin, where the Crossbreed does not, which would help with my "tattooing" problem.

· Registered
2,127 Posts
I too carry a CDP for EDC with a Crossbreed and elected to NOT go with the combat cut option for this reason. I bought a gun belt from Gun Belts by The Belt Man I have Operators II which tattoo a bit. Especially in the car. I also quit smoking 2 years ago and sometimes would rather the smoking health risks vs the weight health risks lol. (Congrats on quitting by the way). I dont want to say "Its something you get used to" (regarding carrying), but its kinda true. Congrats on a great pistol choice and on getting your permit.

· Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Timmy....lol..feel the same sometimes about the smoking deal, almost 30lbs. now.

Where do you wear the holster/gun? I'm about 3-4 o'clock, if "noon" is front. I'm going pants shopping tomorrow.

I have a Sig Sauer C3 as well, but the Kimber is lighter.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Wow that was quick. I thought you posted just last night stating that you were still waiting on your permit. When did you end up receiving it?

· Registered
6,329 Posts
Yes you will definitely need a belt designed to carry a gun. I have one from comp-tac that has kydex sandwiched inbetween the two pieces of leather. Night and day difference over just a belt to hold your pants up. Losing weight helps but I would experiment with position of the gun and see if it's any more comfortable. I know it feels like everybody knows you have a gun on you at first but you'll get used to it. Remember, bend at the knees when picking stuff up.

· Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going today to get bigger pants, and ordereing a belt later, I'm hoping that will help a little also.

Fall is here, so I'm going to look for a OWB as well, for the Kimber.

· Registered
698 Posts

· Registered
1,004 Posts
Congrats!!

I too have about 20-25 to lose and carry my Ultra CDP in an owb DM Bullard with a Desantis belt at 4:00. Pretty comfortable. Also use same style Galco OWB with same result....both holsters do however have a sweat shield that keeps the hammer from digging you, and smooth grips are a big help,,,,works for me anyway.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
I've heard about under the armpit holsters, I was thinking that would be where I'd carry if I was wearing a jacket or hoodie, hard to show a print if my arm is always over it. For summer time I haven't figured that out yet.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
Has appendix carry been considered or tried?

Provided one can get a holster at the proper angle based on your physique its pretty comfortable in general with a couple exceptions like seat belts and you can bend over without creating a super print on your lower back.
Secondary advantage: pistol can be drawn with either hand, even while seated.

AFA shoulder holster, I would highly reccomend vertical carry over horizontal carry.
Unless you've got a really odd shaped handgun the length is always a larger dimension than the height and people tend to have a longer measurement from armpit to waist than they do the for to aft thickness of the body at the chest line.

EG: if you're around 5'8" or so and up, of average build and weigh around 135~140~ish and up you can vertical carry a full sized 1911 and make it dissapear under a basic unlined jean jacket or partially buttoned flannel shirt. Turn it horizontal and you end up with very obvious lumps on the torso on either side of the upper arm.

Not as floppy as horizontal carry either as a result of less leverage and more solid reinforcement due to significantly shorter holster to waist belt strap length

· Registered
677 Posts
1uglyfox, Congrats on loosing the weight. I couldn't take it anymore at 218 # with the constant poking in the side with IWB carry. Now that I'm at 194 # it is a lot more comfortable. I went from a snug size 38 to comfortable size 36 and when carrying I use the 38 pants size which works out great. I am going to loose another 20 # but not so fast as I did the first 24.

· Registered
808 Posts
I use a Raven Concealment Holster with the full coverage body shield for my XDm .45, and found that it's most comfortable at about the 4-4:30 o'clock position.

I first tried to carry it at the 3 o'clock position and it dug into my side when sitting in a vehicle, as well as making it hard to fasten my seatbelt. The bottom of the grip also slightly printed in that position since it was pointing straight back.

After I moved it slightly more to the rear, the bottom of the grip was pointing to the side and no longer printed. And SUPRISE!!!!!, it was MUCH more comfortable when sitting in a vehicle!

I was told that Kydex Holsters are uncomfortable, and I don't agree with that viewpoint. If I were to buy another Kydex Holster, I would most likely ring up Rochester City Holsters as I didn't know about them back when I ordered my Raven Holster (they were just getting started then). It took almost six months to get my Raven Holster after I ordered it, and that was pushing the absolute limits of my patience... and then some!

I would also reccommend that whatever holster you use, get one that uses TWO clips to fasten to your pants and/or belt. It will be much more stable and won't move around on you. I use a Uncle Mike's Instructor's Belt, which is two layers of Webbing with a Hard Plastic Insert in the middle of the belt to give it ENORMOUS rigidity. They are only $30 and are worth it if you don't need a leather carry belt.

As far as pants/belt sizes go, I went with Mr. Assad Myoob's reccommendation. I bought pants 2 Inches Larger in the Waist, and bought a belt to fit the larger sized pants. For example: If your normal pants size is 32, purchase size 34's for IWB Carry. You would also need a new belt that will work with those size 34 pants. I purchased Two Inches bigger in the pants and belt, and I have no problem carrying the Kydex IWB Holster on one side, and a Kydex Dual Magazine Pouch on the opposite side.

As long as you do that, you should be all set.

· Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First off, where the hell is my appendix? lol....Thought that was in the front, lower right?

Just to make sure I'm on the same page, noon is my zipper line correct?

I'm at about 3-4 o'clock right now, but my "extra food storage" circle pushes out the top of the gun, not horribly, and I'm not printing too bad with a loose t shirt on, with a jacket, it's pretty much gone. But when I sit, especially in the car, it's uncomfortable as hell before too long. I would de-holster till my destination, but afraid of being noticed re-holstering...say in the supermarket parking lot.

I think I'm going to look at the OWB's for now, with fall here, and a collection of button up, collared Harley shirts, I can carry that way until I can shed a few pounds.....now who has a diet that I can eat what and when I want, and still lose weight? LOL

For reference on size, I'm 6', 250lbs, spare tire, evenly distributed, not all hanging in front...lol....(can't believe I'm typing this)

Thanks for all the tips guys, theyare greatly appreciated. Buying every holster would get expensive.

· Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought the full Kydex holster's would dig in? Seems like they would.

· Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks on the PP.

I have 2 Alessi's now, for my Sig Sauer 228, and one for my 229, both OWB's, and are very good quality, as they are both used, they came with the Sig's. But they have held up great.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
Appendix is roughly between twelve forty five and one o'clock
Or eleven and eleven fifteen if left handed or right handed desiring a cross draw

The actual organ is on the right. Or where the scar is if you've had it removed.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.