New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finished my first AR. Started collecting parts back in February and was going to spread it out over the summer. However as things got tougher to find I accelerated stuff a bit.

Edited to add info!

Stripped lower Allstar Tactical
Stag LPK
VLTOR ARM Rifle stock (I have a Magpul MOE Fixed stock on order - but who knows when it'll show up) - A1 length
stag stripped A3 upper receiver
PSA 14.7" LW barrel
pws FC556
stag BCG
YHM flip up front sight/gas block
mid length gas tube
Samson 9EX Handguard
BCM gunfighter Charging Handle
Stag A3 carry handle/rear sight

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
He's hooked, he's hooked, his brain is cooked!

I thought buying pistol toys was expensive until I got my AR. Without self control you will go broke!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Damn nice rifle...!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Is that a A2 Operator stock ??

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
That is how a gun that is planned to stay iron sights should be done! You picked out some good parts, and it shoots real nice. Have you shot it yet?

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Is that an A2 upper or is the carry handle detachable? I can't click the pic to make it bigger.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Updated and increased the image size :)

thanks for all of your help Brad!

This build was made possible by the help of the Internet, bpipe95 and Allstar Tactical :)

My first choice of stock still hasn't been made available by Magpul yet so I grabbed the VLTOR from their clearance rack and I'll probably end up painting it at some point. I actually like it quite a bit so far - it *may* stay on. but then means I'll have an extra stock (guess I'll hafta build another AR then eh? can't leave parts laying around!).

The only ammo through this gun is the test round bpipe95 put through the upper to test functionality. I haven't had the chance to get it out yet. Hoping to do so this upcoming week !!

My personal preferences here:

- iron sights (im certain I'll go to optics at some point and toss BUIS on the rear but I want irons to begin with)
- fixed stock (for some reason pinned adjustables never feel solid enough for me)
- 14.7" barrel to keep the overall length relatively short
- I like the modifiable handguard - the samson comes with no rails - however I have 3 add on rail sections for it. So i can change based on my whim.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Did you use a Allstar stripped lower for this build ?? If so how do you like it ?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nice indeed. I'm wondering the same thing about the lower. I like supporting local companies, especially if it's a good product. From the looks of it, looks solid and tight.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep thats the plan for the stock :)

Did you use a Allstar stripped lower for this build ?? If so how do you like it ?
Check the first post - the lower is indeed the AT stripped lower (#100). No problems with it. All parts fit perfectly. The color match between the lower and the stag upper is off a bit as expected with different mfrs (the stag upper has a slightly more washed out look to the black). The actual fit between the upper and lower is pretty darn solid. There is a SLIGHT (and i mean slight - i didn't even notice it initially) bit of movement between the two.

Odds are I'll be out this week making it go bang :) I've got 300 rounds sitting here waiting to get sent down range :) (200 of the PMC brass and 100 of MFS .223 55gr FMJ Zinc Plated stuff that PSA had on sale. I want to primarily shoot reloadable brass ammo - but I also want to see how the gun functions with some of the cheaper steel type stuff (i'll probably throw some Wolf and Tula down it at some point and probably some Federal stuff too to find the sweet spot between different types - so that I have a point of reference when reloading or when I need to just get large quantities in short order)

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got 80 rounds down range last Thursday!

40 each of the PMC and MFS. No malfunctions and no complaints (except that I could hit anything - perhaps I should've put the target closer and brought binoculars or a spotting scope with me !!) Loving it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts