New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so this is my first build, other than mods I made to my 10-22(which weren't much). I am looking for some advice. I am looking to build a standard 556 just for punching paper and hopefully shooting at friends/family property. I just got in my stag lower parts kit today, and I think I've decided on Mega Arms upper and lower stripped receivers. I've read they are great for the money. Has anyone had problems? For what I am looking to do with is it worth getting Billet vs Forged? I found both upper and lower on Rainier Arms website for $140 each. I'm from Buffalo and I saw there is a gun show at the fairgrounds beginning of May and I wasn't sure if they would have the upper and lower there or if I should just go ahead and order online? And with buffer tubes, is there a huge difference in brands and models, or are they all pretty standard (stupid question I know but I haven't gotten around yet to really researching them yet so I figured I might save a step and just ask)

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Ok, so this is my first build, other than mods I made to my 10-22(which weren't much). I am looking for some advice. I am looking to build a standard 556 just for punching paper and hopefully shooting at friends/family property. I just got in my stag lower parts kit today, and I think I've decided on Mega Arms upper and lower stripped receivers. I've read they are great for the money. Has anyone had problems? For what I am looking to do with is it worth getting Billet vs Forged? I found both upper and lower on Rainier Arms website for $140 each. I'm from Buffalo and I saw there is a gun show at the fairgrounds beginning of May and I wasn't sure if they would have the upper and lower there or if I should just go ahead and order online? And with buffer tubes, is there a huge difference in brands and models, or are they all pretty standard (stupid question I know but I haven't gotten around yet to really researching them yet so I figured I might save a step and just ask)
Billet is NOT needed for what you want, the cost isn't justified.

When it comes to brand you'll be fine with Mega Arms. If you aren't concerned about matching your lower to upper, you can find quality lowers out there for less. Be aware that finding stock (in a timely manner) from just about any manufacturer is only going to get harder as we get closer and closer to election time.

Odds are at the gun show you'll find uppers and lowers available. You probably won't be able to touch the cost tho - as prices are usually relatively high at shows.

Your buffer tubes can be either mil spec or commercial - you need to match it to the stock you want

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm planning on building an AR too. Like you I'm trying to build a simple one.

I've been looking around at the gun shows for something a little cheaper and haven't found much vs what you can get online. Classic Arms has an affordable Del-Ton complete upper for $400 and complete parts kit (minus the lower) for $470. They are both back ordered so it might be a wait to get them.

FYI the Syracuse show is going on this weekend, you might find something good over there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"FYI the Syracuse show is going on this weekend, you might find something good over there."

I work overnights Fri and Sat, and couldn't find anyone that wanted to go.

"Be aware that finding stock (in a timely manner) from just about any manufacturer is only going to get harder as we get closer and closer to election time"

The one guy at Niagara Gun Range warned me that this is a bad time to be building an AR, as it is getting harder to find parts in stock. I just wish I had the $800-1000+ to buy an AR right now, I am hoping to spread the cost out over a few months and build it with all the accessories I want.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
The one guy at Niagara Gun Range warned me that this is a bad time to be building an AR, as it is getting harder to find parts in stock. I just wish I had the $800-1000+ to buy an AR right now, I am hoping to spread the cost out over a few months and build it with all the accessories I want.
That's exactly what I'm doing. And I'm in no rush. Ordering parts and willing to wait however long needed for them to show up. I have no expectation of receiving things in a timely manner - and I'm OK with that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Get a Palmetto stripped lower...they reguarly run 79.00 bucks and usually have sales of 49.99 for stripped lowers...love em...reliable. Check out their upper kits as well. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
You can buy a DPMS somplete lower for around $200.00......However they are backed up in production like everyone else......Those polymer lowers are about $100.00 these days and are getting pretty popular..!

·
Registered
522 Posts
also look at surplus arms and ammo.com they have complete upper for 499-500 and classic arms has complete lowers for 100-150

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Just make sure those cheap deals are up to spec.
The all stars lower I have on top of my desk is phenomenal. It is all I can say.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Call around or hit the gunshow, you should be able to snag a stripped lower for less than $100. I got a CMMG stripped lower at a shop for $99.

Then the rest is simple, research and mail order.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So far I have my lower parts kit (stag), stripped upper(mega arms). I want to do the complete build, instead of buying a complete upper. I already have my grip (magpul MIAD) and trigger guard ordered and on its way to me. I ordered everything but the LPK from RainierArms, and they have been awesome to deal with. Shipped everything out the day I ordered it except when I ordered over the weekend. I'm hoping to get the stripped lower this weekend at the gun show but not looking to spend killer $ on it if they are over priced. If I don't get it there I'm going to order one from Rainier next week. Just chomping at the bit to start putting it together.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I would suggest going with a mega lower also.

Sounds like you have the start of a nice gun, good choices on parts so far.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I want to get the Mega Arms stripped lower to match. I know I don't have to go crazy with what I buy for what I'm going to be doing with it, but I want this gun to last forever and I want to be happy with it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went to the Hamburg gun show today. I was disappointed by the lack of AR parts. I saw only one table that had stripped lowers, and that was pretty much it. I was really hoping to get the lower but knew it was a long shot. I was figuring to get at least the buffer tube and possibly a couple other parts but there was barely anything. So gonna get the info of a family friend who has his FFL and order my lower.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
download1.jpg download2.jpg download4.jpg download.jpg Got my lower on Friday and had to put it together right away. Also decided to do a color fill. Love it so far just can't wait to get more funds to finish it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts