New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on a good first time 9mm? Close to getting my permit and have been researching revolvers and semi-autos. I have the revolver i want in mind and now im looking into 9mm. So far a few of the ones i like are the CZ 75, the baby eagle and the beretta 92. I am not looking to spend a small fortune, something around the 400-700$ range. I seem to lean alittle more towards the 1911 style look and no compacts.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Full-size 9mm, not too expensive:

First choice I'd probably get a used Sig P226 or P229 if there's a possibility of carry.
Berettas are good, I'd find a PX4 Storm over the 92 unless you want preban mags.
Glocks are always a possibility if they work for you, 17 or 19 in this case, both have preban mags available.
CZ's are solid. I'd probably skip the Baby Eagle.
Also check out the S&W M&P line, and the Ruger SR9. I have a Ruger SR9c so I may be biased, but they are amazing values.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I seen a video on the CZ and it looked nice, i may only like the baby eagle cause it looks like reg eagle just mini..I will have to check out the PX4 storm and the Ruger SR9. S&W are the only ones i have not looked at yet but will definitly check them out. Id prefer the barrel to be over 4", this will be a gun i am not going to carry all day (thats what i am getting the revolver for heh) but just to range/target shoot.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I have an M&P 9mm. I can't say enough good about it. The stock trigger seems to get better with use.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Scotchman pretty much summed it up. If your going to use it as a range gun/home defense, he gave you some great options above.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, thanks guys. Now to the slighly higher priced ones, the Browning Hi-power and the Kimbers? Any thoughts on these 2? Ive seen the Brownings around the 800-1k+ range and the Kimbers in the upper 900's at the lowest so i may be willing to splurge depending on how they all feel when i actually handle the gun.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I would chose a Hi-Power over a kimber in 9mm. That's just personal preference though. I have shot a Hi-power and liked it, but never a 9mm 1911.

·
Registered
470 Posts
You can get a decent used hi-power in the 5-600 range if you look. I bought an ex-israeli hi-power that had been refinished, i think with shipping and ffl i was out about $500. It is by no means a worn-out gun, very solid piece check out gunbroker. Also check out the rock island armory 1911's, i bought one new (tactical version, nice sights ambi-safety) in 9mm for $475 from a LGS, EXcellent gun, i probably could have done a little better on the price by ordering it, but i wanted to support my local guy.

·
Registered
905 Posts
i have been lusting after a cz 75b in the matte stainless. don't need it as have a browning hi power. the cz's are suppose to be very accurate and good ergo's. i have a beretta 96 that i like as well, it's just a little fatter than the rest. also decide if double action is important to you. get to some shops or friends and see how they feel in your hand and do they point well for you. do you like the sights. do you want adjustable sights? take your time and get what you really want. i still have my first pistol so must have been a good choice. good luck .......

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
used police turn in Glock 17 or 19

·
Registered
215 Posts
Lower price end-
ruger p95, LEO trade in glock

Mid price-
sig 938

High end
browning hi power

avoid kimber, imo.

let us know what you end up getting.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I've shot a CZ 75B... highly recommended, nice looking gun and you can buy it new in the low $500's online - add about $75-100 for stainless.

Glock 17/19, Sig P-239, and the Beretta/Taurus 92 - all good guns too.

Of course, choosing the right gun for you is like choosing a pair of underpants. All comes down to comfort, fit and personal preference.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'd pick up something you can carry and train with, such as a M&P 9mm or Glock 19 (Gen 3). Glock has an edge for being able to use with preban mags.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Springfield XD9 would get my vote.
I have read a lot on handguns be for we bought are handgun shot a clp different handguns the XD 1911 the Glock M&P Sig i went with the XD9 really like the Trigger Pull on it the look of it XD the XD all the way for me and Zack's sport told me i could come down and hold it any time a want till i get my permit my wife went with the p11

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Springfield XD9 would get my vote.
Love my XD9! The trigger is really nice for a polymer gun. You can get them in black, olive drab and dark earth. Many other options as well. I have the tactical version which is the 5" barrel. I say for a first gun, get the XD.

James

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Check out the FNP-9. I have one and love it. Plus they can be had NEW for less then $500 and come with 3 mags. Also check out the CZ's. I have a 75 compact in 40 and its an awesome shooter plus all metal. They can be had in 9mm also and NEW for less then $600

1 - 20 of 34 Posts