New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The ban on carrying of firearms by citizens in the nation's capitol has been struck down by the United States District Court, District of Columbia, attorney Alan Gura, representing plaintiffs in Palmer vs. District of Columbia announced Saturday.

"In light of Heller, McDonald, and their progeny, there is no longer any basis on which this Court can conclude that the District of Columbia's total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns outside the home is constitutional under any level of scrutiny," Senior Judge Frederick J. Scullin, Jr. wrote in a Memorandum-Decision Order signed Thursday and filed today.

Firearms carry ban struck down in D.C. - National gun rights | Examiner.com

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Let's hope SCOTUS has the wisdom to decline to hear this 2A case, like the other recent ones we all followed

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
So does this shoot down registration all together? Does this help,against Sullivan?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
OK given the fact I haven't had much faith lately in the court system ... I retract my above statement as i was not informed.

I just read the decision ... HOLY SHIZZLE was that a WIN ....

Now do I still think the hoops they create in order to carry will be great yes I do but from the looks of it they basically said if you can legally own a hand gun then their is no reason why you can't carry it.

So looks like Sullivan is on the chopping block, and so is this May issue crap in NY.

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
This is huge!!!

"There is no longer any basis on which this Court can conclude that the District of Columbia's total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns outside the home is constitutional under any level of scrutiny," Judge Frederick Scullin said in an opinion.
"Therefore, the Court finds that the District of Columbia's complete ban on the carrying of handguns in public is unconstitutional," he added in his 19-page ruling.
The court ordered the city to allow residents to carry handguns outside their homes and to let non-residents carry them as well.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
This just overturned the second circut courts ruling in Kachalshy! If you read Kachalsky and the opinion , this shreds every part of that . Another thing I noticed after reading the opinion again is this is a " shall issue " ruling , something I didn't notice the first time through . But boy howdy this really should shake up the NYC permiting process soon cause if they don't fix their problems I'm sure Title 38 will as it's going up here real soon !

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
So does this shoot down registration all together? Does this help,against Sullivan?
From what the opinion reads it " kicks the **** " out of NYC ,s defacto ban on the public carrying weapons . Plus it's either they issue or suffer the wrath of SCOTUS , by way of Heller . This really puts a cramp in the " progressives " idea of gun control ! Now let's watch the " Brady bunch " try to spin this into a win for them ! I'm thinking that if DC doesn't comply within the ruling , they could go backup to another review for court approval of the laws before passage . That means that it's constitutional carry till this is achieved ! What a way to go !

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Interested to see what if any news agency's this will be on tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Anyone see this part? Reciprocity?

"Furthermore, this injunction prohibits the District from completely banning the carrying of handguns in public for self-defense by otherwise qualified non-residents based solely on the fact that they are not residents of the District."

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Anyone see this part? Reciprocity?

"Furthermore, this injunction prohibits the District from completely banning the carrying of handguns in public for self-defense by otherwise qualified non-residents based solely on the fact that they are not residents of the District."
Yep sooner or later that'll mean anyone that can legally own a handgun will be able to carry in any state. It will be a long road though.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts