New York Firearms Forum banner

Firearm Warranty -

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  kev74 
#1 ·
I thought this would be interesting in factoring when making a purchase. I searched the sight and didn't find any information on this. If I missed it, let me know. (I did find this information on another sight.)

Berreta ……………1 year for original owner
http://www.berettausa.com/warranty/service_warranty_basic.cfm

Colt ………………..Lifetime for original owner
http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/lifetime_agreement.asp

Smith & Wesson…..Lifetime for original owner
Smith & Wesson

Springfield Armory...Lifetime for owner
http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-why.shtml

Sig……………........Lifetime for original owner
https://www.sigarms.com/WarrantyInfo/LimitedLifetimeWarranty.aspx

Taurus…………….Lifetime of the GUN, not just for the original owner!
Taurus International Manufacturing Inc - Repair Policy

Kimber…………….1 year for the original owner
http://www.kimberamerica.com/knowledgebase/index.php?ToDo=view&questId=16&catId=12

Para Ordnance……..No warranty, but repair in good faith to original owner
Para USA: High-Quality Handguns

Ruger………………No warranty, but repair in good faith
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

CZ-USA………….5 years
http://www.cz-usa.com/support_warranty.php?m=5

HK…………………Lifetime for original owner
http://www.hk-usa.com/index.jsp?loc=4&REFID=A0000&SITEID=A

Glock……………….Website poorly organized, could not find warranty information

Kel-tec……………….Lifetime
kel-tec.com - gun safe Resources and Information. This website is for sale!

See less See more
#3 ·
I would agree. I have 2 kimber .45's, and while I never had an issue with either of them, I have a friend that had a few issues with his, and they were taken care of free of charge. That gun was at least 5 years old at the time. And I can tell you I had a problem with a Ruger, (that was totally MY fault, and I told them that), and they took care of that for me too. I think the customer service for both of those companies is phenominal.

#4 ·
Most warranties suck but there are some that actually work real well.
My friend had a problem with a brand new beretta pistol and finally had to ask for a refund after 7 months wait. Only then they sent the pistol back right away after a simple barrel swap.

FN I had a terrible experience with them. When you are in the Military or LEO they will bend backwards to take care of you, but after that civilians can count on a deplorable customer service. There might be exceptions to both, the but the more I hear the worse it is.

So big brands are getting worse while smaller manufactures see the opportunity and are doing a much better job not just at the counter but also collaborating with enthusiast, online forums, etc...

#5 ·
Probably the worst customer service I've had was with Magnum Research. I bought a used pistol some years ago, in every way seemingly in perfect condition both cosmetically and internally. After a few months of very rare uses, perhaps 8 or so 10rd mags fired through it in total, I noticed one half of the ambi safety fly off. Turns out it has an internally broken two part safety lever, but worse yet a small cracked piece off of the slide where the lever should be. I called M.Research about it and got to talk to several of quite possibly the least professional people I have ever spoken to at a place of business. Upon finally getting a person who could help, and I use the term loosely, I was told that the gun was slightly (at that time) past its warranty (completely understandable, but not on par with other companies policies) and that I would have to pay for shipping, any labor hours, and part replacement needed. Also, that while this gun was still currently in production, it is one of the more uncommon finishes and would be costly to replace. Mind you, while it's difficult to express here, I do recall all of this was explained to me in what I can only call a demeaning method and tone. Absolutely no information was volunteered, and getting even the simplest of questions answered was like pulling teeth. A few times in the conversation it was even insinuated that this is something I must have done, rather than a failure of parts under normal use. I do recall when I asked for an address to mail the gun to, I was told "Find it on the website". Most importantly when I asked for an estimate of costs I was told that he could not answer that question without having the gun inspected. Still completely composed (I wanted my gun fixed, so I was still being super niceafter all this ) I said that while I could understand that, I could clearly tell that I was most likely going to need a complete slide assembly since parts would probably require fitting, or at the very least a new safety assembly and slide. When asked what a complete slide assembly would cost, still this guy would not give me an answer. I then explained that seeing as he had already told me "expensive" earlier, I needed to have some idea seeing as how I had a very limited budget and might not be able to afford the repairs. Thereby making it pointless to spend the money shipping and paying again to ship back still broken parts. After another shockingly insulting statement, I was told "Well, ship it in if you want to, but don't fire it".... yes, very helpful.

Several years have past. I still have the gun in its same broken condition.

I have had experience with several other service centers of firearm manufacturers including S&W, Springfield, and Ruger. Each of these have treated me respectfully and fairly. I can say with certainty that I will never buy another product fro Magnum Research.

#18 ·
Probably the worst customer service I've had was with Magnum Research. I bought a used pistol some years ago, in every way seemingly in perfect condition both cosmetically and internally. After a few months of very rare uses, perhaps 8 or so 10rd mags fired through it in total, I noticed one half of the ambi safety fly off. Turns out it has an internally broken two part safety lever, but worse yet a small cracked piece off of the slide where the lever should be. I called M.Research about it and got to talk to several of quite possibly the least professional people I have ever spoken to at a place of business. Upon finally getting a person who could help, and I use the term loosely, I was told that the gun was slightly (at that time) past its warranty (completely understandable, but not on par with other companies policies) and that I would have to pay for shipping, any labor hours, and part replacement needed. Also, that while this gun was still currently in production, it is one of the more uncommon finishes and would be costly to replace. Mind you, while it's difficult to express here, I do recall all of this was explained to me in what I can only call a demeaning method and tone. Absolutely no information was volunteered, and getting even the simplest of questions answered was like pulling teeth. A few times in the conversation it was even insinuated that this is something I must have done, rather than a failure of parts under normal use. I do recall when I asked for an address to mail the gun to, I was told "Find it on the website". Most importantly when I asked for an estimate of costs I was told that he could not answer that question without having the gun inspected. Still completely composed (I wanted my gun fixed, so I was still being super niceafter all this ) I said that while I could understand that, I could clearly tell that I was most likely going to need a complete slide assembly since parts would probably require fitting, or at the very least a new safety assembly and slide. When asked what a complete slide assembly would cost, still this guy would not give me an answer. I then explained that seeing as he had already told me "expensive" earlier, I needed to have some idea seeing as how I had a very limited budget and might not be able to afford the repairs. Thereby making it pointless to spend the money shipping and paying again to ship back still broken parts. After another shockingly insulting statement, I was told "Well, ship it in if you want to, but don't fire it".... yes, very helpful.

Several years have past. I still have the gun in its same broken condition.

I have had experience with several other service centers of firearm manufacturers including S&W, Springfield, and Ruger. Each of these have treated me respectfully and fairly. I can say with certainty that I will never buy another product fro Magnum Research.
Magnum Research was bought out by Kahr. Their customer service might have improved since then.

#6 ·
Springfield has covered my XD repairs even though I am not the original owner. I know it says original owner only in their literature but so far they've covered everything for me.

#7 ·
Several of these links aren't working for me or take me to odd sites (KelTec in particular, their site is keltecweapons.com).

#10 · (Edited)
And Hi-Point is no questions asked, any owner, lifetime.

As for experience I have had, New England Arms (a Pardner pump) of mined needed work out of the box and I sent it back, got it back in about 2 weeks working. I've heard of nothing but good things about S&W on the warranty side of things, but does anyone know about their CS in general? I am worried because should my Walther P99 (when I am finally allowed to take it home) need any parts/etc. I believe S&W should be the ones that take care of it (at my cost of course...it would be out of warranty). Say I need a new extractor or barrel etc...

#12 ·
stag is lifetime as well. Fantastic to deal with too!

#14 ·
I'm currently dealing with Wilson Combat on a trigger assembly I bought from them, and so far, not so good. I sent it in about two weeks ago and have not heard a single thing. I checked the tracking number and it definitely got there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.