New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently attending school in NY. I am from missouri. i have been trying to get my shotgun shipped up here for about three months now. i finally got it shipped to a FFL and went to pick it up today, but they said that i could not take possession of it because i do not have a New York drivers license. i have been living here for about 6 months but i do not plan on getting a New York license because i will eventually move back home. any suggestions?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Find another FFL? That is an FFL thing. You could also get a non-driver ID from the DMV for stuff like that I'd imagine.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
If it is already yours, you can ship it to yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is already mine but i had to have my dad ship it to me since i was already up here. federal states that i can purchase a long gun in any state as along as my purchase is also legal in my state of residency. so i would assume that is the same with transfers. i guess my question should be "in New York, is there any state law preventing a non resident, from a non adjacent state, from buying a long gun?"

·
Registered
853 Posts
No state law preventing it... You should've done what you stated above and had your dad ship it to you. Can I ask what FFL you had it sent to? I assume you're living off campus as no school is going to let you store it on campus.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i had it shipped to civil armory in pleasant valley. my dad couldnt ship it directly to me because it had to be shipped to an FFL since it in interstate. And yes. i am living off campus.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
No state law preventing it... You should've done what you stated above and had your dad ship it to you. Can I ask what FFL you had it sent to? I assume you're living off campus as no school is going to let you store it on campus.
When I was helping a friend move at SUNY Cobleskill they it so you could store your firearms at the security office of the school, and check them out when needed.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Somehow I figured that's where you had it sent. You didn't need an FFL, it could've been sent directly to you from your dad. What are they telling you as far as the transfer? Will they let someone else pick it up? Insisting on returning it?

·
Registered
853 Posts
When I was helping a friend move at SUNY Cobleskill they it so you could store your firearms at the security office of the school, and check them out when needed.
The local colleges here, unless they've updated their policies in the last two years, will not store firearms for you or allow them to be stored on campus. Non issue as the OP is off campus.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i had it shipped to civil armory in pleasant valley. my dad couldnt ship it directly to me because it had to be shipped to an FFL since it in interstate. And yes. i am living off campus.
ATF Online - Firearms - Industry

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions:

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner "in the care of" the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

I'd tell Civil Armory to send it back to your Dad......

However they are incorrect in refusing to transfer the shotgun to you, as an out of state resident you can still purchase a long gun here. You only need to be a NY resident if you are buying a pistol gripped shotgun, receiver, or hand gun. From the ATF website:

1. ATF Home
  2. Firearms
  3. Frequently Asked Questions
  4. Unlicensed Persons

Unlicensed Persons Questions
[HR][/HR]
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? A person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
sounds like it was shipped UPS. Have them send it back home and just ship it fed ex to your self or get a NYS DL and get a new license when you move back home.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Jma, why do you say i should just have it shipped back home?
If the dealer refuses to transfer it to you then I don't see another option. You can try to show them the ATF website which states that it's legal for them to transfer the shotgun, but I doubt they will listen to you. Once it is sent back your Dad can ship it back directly to you. I would not bother getting a NY driver's license and it wouldn't be legal to have someone else do the background check for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts