New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gun shop said that fire police are exempt! As long as the fire police are sworn in thru the town and have the application for certification of peace officers thru nys they are! IS THIS TRUE? Any thoughts from you guys out there?

·
Registered
Certified instructor/FFL/Gunsmith
2 Posts
My gun shop said that fire police are exempt! As long as the fire police are sworn in thru the town and have the application for certification of peace officers thru nys they are! IS THIS TRUE? Any thoughts from you guys out there?
Grey area to say the least. Fire Police are sworn peace officers through their Municipalities, have police powers only when dispatched, and are on the rolls as such in Albany, as long as the Chief keeps them up to date, however, we do not go through weapons training as required by the state to carry on duty (CPL 2.10 article 41). But the SAFE act says we’re good to go, (depending on how you interpret it,) because we are sworn peace officers. That being said, the gun shop might be good with it, but the Officers who arrest you for criminal possession of a weapon 3rd might not see it that way. It will ultimately be up to the DA to file charges or not. Personally, I learned to be happy with my ten rounders.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts