New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Head Fapper
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's an Inland M1 Carbine. I don't know the exact date, but the serial number is within the first 80,000 of a documented 2,080,000+, so it's an older one for sure.

I'd really like to get a nicer or refinished stock set for it, since there's a lot of pitting on it, and I'd like to get the rear sight replaced with a correct one. Maybe a whole re-finish job is in order. We'll see.

Here's some pics:

· Registered
349 Posts
Best thing to do now is tear it down and start getting the letters off each part. This way you will know how much is inland. The barrel band is post war cause they didnt have bayo lugs until after the war. Is the bolt flat or round? I will post a link so you will have a little info to help u. Its a mid 1942 receiver by the way

http://m1family.com/topic46.htmlhttp://m1family.com/topic106.html

· Head Fapper
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. I will prolly strip it down tomorrow to see if there's anything I need to replace as well as identify parts. Definitely ordering a new stock set for sure. Thanks for identifying the time frame of when it was made. My guess was very much a guess lol.

It's a flat bolt.

· Head Fapper
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So here's some info I got from various sites.

- It has the oval cut, low wood stock OR the pot-belly M2 stock. I can't 100% tell if the "hump" is big enough or not though. The four rivet hand guards were produced in 1944 or later, made by either Inland, Winchester, or Springfield.

That's about it so far lol.
I want to wait to take it apart until tomorrow, but who knows if I get restless I may go for it.

· Head Fapper
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
From what I can see, there's no barrel or importer markings.

Also, it has the later modified mag release button, and the lever type safety.

· Head Fapper
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Disassembling as we speak:

Handgaurd has the IO/OI marking (meaning Inland).
Barrel band has "A" near sling mount.
Hammer has "H" on left side.
Front bottom of slide has "SG" mark (Saginaw Gear).
Barrel has the Winchester proof mark (PW in a circle).
Side of gas block has the flaming Ordnance bomb.
There's a "4" in the inlet of the front of the mag well.

That's all for now.

· Registered
1,758 Posts
Congrats! Now go shoot it :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.