New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was up the road from Ra-Lins in Syracuse to kick some tires... some guns on the expensive side, some reasonable... then I saw a Sig P239 (a gun on my top 'must have' list) for $595 - used but in excellent condition. Asked if they'd knock 10% off... they did - no problem (wonder how low I really could have gone - but it was still a very fair price for that model). And after a quick trip to the Sheriff's office (in and out in 10 minutes... great customer service), got my coupon, passed NICS, and I'm now a happy gun owner! Guys at Ra-Lins were great. They're worth a visit.

Grabbed some ammo, hit up the Three Rivers wildlife area in Baldwinsville, ran a couple of magazines through it in some remote part against a berm and so far so good. Some old guy on a quad stopped by - said I wasn't allowed to drive back there. Didn't know - gate was open, sign said nothing about it - but whatever... he seemed more concerned with the vehicle than he did the gun. He wasn't an employee - just someone who had some permit to use the land for some dog training thing coming up this weekend. Didn't want to find out the hard way he was right and left. On the way out, some guy was OC'ing walking his dog... cool.

Will sign up for a membership with the Syracuse Pistol Club.

Now... next hurdle... telling the wife. Got tired of asking for permission. Now it's time to ask for forgiveness. Any tips? Already have a gun safe, trigger lock, action lock... I am without a doubt 110% confident that our daughter will be absolutely safe... and there is no way, no how I would ever put the two reasons why I wake up every morning in harm's way.

Air gun Gun accessory Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry

·
Registered
710 Posts
You're allowed to shoot anywhere in 3 rivers on state land unless otherwise posted. Also, you may want to look into camillus rod and gun because it takes an act of god to get into Syracuse pistol club, and you basically get scheduled work days to clean the place. Pathfinder in Fulton is another food one. Cheap and nobody bothers you.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Was up the road from Ra-Lins in Syracuse to kick some tires... some guns on the expensive side, some reasonable... then I saw a Sig P239 (a gun on my top 'must have' list) for $595 - used but in excellent condition. Asked if they'd knock 10% off... they did - no problem (wonder how low I really could have gone - but it was still a very fair price for that model). And after a quick trip to the Sheriff's office (in and out in 10 minutes... great customer service), got my coupon, passed NICS, and I'm now a happy gun owner! Guys at Ra-Lins were great. They're worth a visit.

Grabbed some ammo, hit up the Three Rivers wildlife area in Baldwinsville, ran a couple of magazines through it in some remote part against a berm and so far so good. Some old guy on a quad stopped by - said I wasn't allowed to drive back there. Didn't know - gate was open, sign said nothing about it - but whatever... he seemed more concerned with the vehicle than he did the gun. He wasn't an employee - just someone who had some permit to use the land for some dog training thing coming up this weekend. Didn't want to find out the hard way he was right and left. On the way out, some guy was OC'ing walking his dog... cool.

Will sign up for a membership with the Syracuse Pistol Club.

Now... next hurdle... telling the wife. Got tired of asking for permission. Now it's time to ask for forgiveness. Any tips? Already have a gun safe, trigger lock, action lock... I am without a doubt 110% confident that our daughter will be absolutely safe... and there is no way, no how I would ever put the two reasons why I wake up every morning in harm's way.

View attachment 9097
I would bring th egun to the next wedding you go to and when you slow dance she will ask you if you are happy to be dancing with her and you say, "no, I have a gun in my pocket" no problem LOL, hey congrats on the new piece, never knew you did not have one, love your avatar!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally Posted by nessman
Nessman,

Congrats on the purchase!
I ran this by my wife to get her opinion, she said you might be screwed. LOL....:D

Seriously though, my wife said that you should just break the news to her in whatever way you think would cause the least amount of drama. Ask her to try and understand why this is important to you, and remind her you've been patient. Maybe explain that you are educated in firearms, as well as the importance of safe firearm handling and storage. She liked what you stated in your last paragraph; tell your wife that your daughter and her are the reasons for having that gun, and their safety is of an utmost importance. Yes, and maybe you need to buy something shiney or expensive before having this conversation?!

I know every person is different, but just to give you some hope, here's a bit of background on my wife. She grew up in some fairly bad neighborhoods in Rochester, and her parents were vehemently opposed to having any kind of weapon in the household. Instead, they relied on multiple deadbolts and locks on all the doors, and staying inside at night... When her and I started dating, she was not very comfortable with hearing that I was an avid fisherman or hunter / gun owner. A few years later, there isn't a day that she doesn't want to get the boat and go fishing, and a few weeks ago she went on her own to get her fingerprints and pistol permit applications....

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone.

Ironic that I'm more afraid of my wife than I would be if I had an LEO encounter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts