New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some insight, I purchased in full an AR15 on Jan 2 before the fascist ban imposed by Cuomo. The builder was going to transfer it to a gunsmith in NY to pin the stock and muzzle and then transfer it to me. Even with the info on the Governor website that states this is a legal transaction my gunsmith is not comfortable going through with the transaction. What are my options in NY state? Can I transfer the gun to a different state have it NY compliant and bring it back into NY? If not, does anyone know a FFL/gunsmith willing to accept a transfer my rifle? I called my state Senator and he thinks its legal to transfer to NY. My comment back to him was thinking and the law are two different things. Guidance needs to be given to NYSRPA or the NRA so FFL dealers have more clarity. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

· Registered
1,559 Posts
Custom AR from out of state..tried, but didnt have the capacity
yeah that was a PITA even before this crap lol. not sure why a custom ar builder cannot make the gun compliant... put an A2 stock and a crowned barrel... you want it to look evil and its going to be PITA now. Have the builder send it in parts LOL

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could have him send it to me in two parts, a complete uppper and lower. I know my ffl dealer will accept the complete lower and transfer it to me. Then I can make it compliant in state. What do you think?

· Registered
8,594 Posts
Could have him send it to me in two parts, a complete uppper and lower. I know my ffl dealer will accept the complete lower and transfer it to me. Then I can make it compliant in state. What do you think?
This is my exact fallback if my FFL won't take my transfer, except the place I bought mine from is making them NY compliant before transferring to my FFL. I would try finding any place that will do this for you and then transfer to your FFL. You just need to prove that you bought the rifle before Jan 15 to get your FFL to take the transfer.

· The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Does the law say "paid in full" or possessed? Even if you paid for it before the ban date, it may not be legal to take possession of it. Call the 800 number on Monday when it is set up. If they say you're good to go, get your FFL to call the number and ask the same question.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the law say "paid in full" or possessed? Even if you paid for it before the ban date, it may not be legal to take possession of it. Call the 800 number on Monday when it is set up. If they say you're good to go, get your FFL to call the number and ask the same question.
Off the Gov Cuomo's website
Q. If someone paid for a gun before January 15, 2013 that is now classified as an assault weapon, but the gun hasn't been delivered to the buyer, what do I do?A: You may still give the gun to the buyer, but it must be registered by April 15, 2014.

· Registered
8,594 Posts
Off the Gov Cuomo's website
Q. If someone paid for a gun before January 15, 2013 that is now classified as an assault weapon, but the gun hasn't been delivered to the buyer, what do I do?

A: You may still give the gun to the buyer, but it must be registered by April 15, 2014.
Yes we have all been sharing this but what jhm8071 is saying is that might not be enough, or worse, may not be correct. I am hoping King Andrew's goon squad will say the same thing he says but who knows.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.