New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday, I went to pick up a gun I had purchased online and had shipped to Gander Mountain. The transfer fees were $80. I about fell over. Is that a typical price to have a gun shipped? For some reason I was thinking $30-$50.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Stores that sell guns tend to have higher transfer fees. they want you to buy the gun from them.... as you know there is time and personal attention involved for processing the 4473/nics. I do not blame stores for having higher transfer fees as you are tying up a salesperson.

That is on the higher end of the spectrum but I would look for a local FFL to save money on fees.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I didn't. I admit I should have. But it was the first time I had transferred a gun and I thought that all places were about the same price. However, after the fee, I still paid less than what it would have cost had I bought it there. In the future, I will check around first.

·
Registered
536 Posts
$80 is way out of line. I called them last fall and it was $75.

Most reasonable FFLs will transfer for an average of $30 - $35. I used Jackson's guns and ammo in Henrietta, and they were great to deal with, and $35 when I had my Dad transfer a pistol to me from out of state.

Sorry to hear you didn't check first, but I'm glad the price of the gun helped make up for it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Like everyone eles is saying that's insane... The ffl In henrietta I use charges 25 for both long guns and handguns.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, I went to Gander Mountain first to get the bill of sale before heading to the Dome. The guy told me all I need to give the clerk was my receipt showing I paid. I thought it sounded wrong, but I said ok they must know what they are talking about, and off to the Dome I went. Waited in line to get in, paid, waited in line to see the clerk.

Guess what? I needed a bill of sale. Back to GM, wait for a sales person and got the bill of sale. Back to the clerk. No issues there. Back to GM and finally picked up the gun. All in all, It took me almost 90 minutes traveling back and forth, finding parking, and standing in lines

On the plus side, now, since I've done it once, I know exactly what to do the next time I purchase online. Too bad NY makes it so hard. I envy my brothers in Colorado.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
My guy charges $25. If you transfer multiple firearms in the same transaction, he only charges an additional $5 for each one.

I only paid $45 to transfer five lowers a couple years ago. :)

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
yep most of the local shops are reasonable around rochester. dont use Gander as you've learned!

As a side note, Jacksons does charge quite a bit more if you're transferring in from budsgunshop.com (and only them as far as i'm aware)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gander Mountain is high priced on everything, but when someone charges you that much for a transfer, I'm guessing it means they don't want your transfer business lol. definitely have some sort of confirmation before sending anything anywhere...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
In Kingston, there is Gander Mountain and Ruger's Custom Guns. Gander is $80 flat rate, Ruger's is a sliding scale based on what they would sell the gun for. $75 to transfer a gun they would price <$1000. I didn't listen to the higher prices, but I assume it would be better to go through Gander after that.

·
Registered
247 Posts
$25.00 for any of mine. Was gonna be $75.00 for one handgun that didn't have a casing included till the FFL holder did some checking and it was actually used but unfired. And I guess it didn`t need one or previously had one.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I pay $20 per firearm with my guy.
I would suggest logging onto gunbroker.com and under the buyers section, click on find an FFL. Some have the fees listed right there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts