New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frequently see posted in the for sale items "will ship from my FFL to your FFL'. Is this a NYS requirement? I know for interstate transfers only the receiver needs to be an FFL. So I can buy somehting from someone in FL, send him my FFLs papers and he can ship, overnight, directly to my FFL. Is there an additional requirement in NY that the sender has to go through an FFL as well?

·
Registered
868 Posts
When shipping handguns within state it must go FFL to FFL. Long guns can be shipped individual to individual within state (except NYC). You can ship long guns out of state to an FFL, But sometimes the FFL will not accept from a private individual therefor you would need to FFL to FFL.

·
Registered
644 Posts
There is no additional requirement, but a number of FFL's have tried to tell me that there is. The requirement for the FFL is simply that they document where the gun came from, so the normal practice is to send a copy of the seller's driver's license to the buyer's FFL (along with the gun). However, there are a certain number of FFL's out there who have a policy of only accepting shipments from other FFL's. I think this is about market protection -- if all FFL's adopted this policy, then everyone would be stuck paying 2 FFL's for a transfer that only needs 1. Anyway, if you do a lot of purchasing from out of state sources, it would behoove you to find an FFL who does not have this policy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts