New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im acquiring about 15 long arms from my father who lives in Alaska. Any idea what i should expect to pay in ffl fees? Do i get a break for multiple firearms

·
Registered
268 Posts
Have your dad ship them to himself,care of you,for when he comes to visit.
You guys can then go and hunt together,and plink like the good old days with the guns you
grew up with.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Have him ship them to himself as posted above

And yes it's one background check but you can only 4 guns per 4473 I believe. So it's 4, 4473s required. Still paperwork for a dealer.

USPS, declare them unloaded. No problem.

Enjoy and GL

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
And yes it's one background check but you can only 4 guns per 4473 I believe

If he ships to himself here then that shouldn't be an issue, nor should him just giving them to you once here.
Simple shipment transfer from FFL to FFL with no paperwork involved, just a fee to accept the package.
Go to FFL, show proof of ID, collect box, leave.

AFAIK no need to fill out any forms or transfer BS.
At least there's none when somone gives thier kid a gun for Christmas or a private sale is conducted, so can't see how if he gave you the stuff under the conditions above you would need to either.

m2c

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts

If he ships to himself here then that shouldn't be an issue, nor should him just giving them to you once here.
Simple shipment transfer from FFL to FFL with no paperwork involved, just a fee to accept the package.

At least there's none when somone gives thier kid a gun for Christmas or a private sale is conducted, so can't see how if he gave you the stuff under the conditions above you would need to either.

m2c
you'd think i knew it was 5 per. i blame it on getting too much sun today haha

never heard of a FFL-FFL and no paperwork involved. Always have to log new guns in, coming from a dealer, pvt individual, no matter, same thing goes for logging out.

ETA: if a FFL gets a box of 15 guns in, and ATF comes in for a spot check, they got some explaining to do if there's no record of the guns being logged in.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Does the FFL consider two guns from two different people and arrive to him the same time as one or two? Does the 4473 have to be from the same previous owner or can they be from two different owners?

James

·
Registered
268 Posts

m2c
I don't think this would ever happen.
A dealer isn't going to have rifles sitting in his shop without being logged in.

As stated above,ship to himself,care of the OP.
Done

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
A dealer isn't going to have rifles sitting in his shop without being logged in
Ya, prolly right on that.
I wasn't thinking of it that way. More along the lines of knowing when a package is going to arrive and pretty much sitting on the front step of the shop to collect it once its handed off to the shop.
Sort of 'only there for 3 seconds' kind of thing.

One way to find out for sure though: ask the local FFL's what/how they would go about it as regardless of what we think or the sometimes vauge nuances of law and policy, they aren't going to do anything that they don't want to do regardless of it being legal or costing them business.

Looks more and more like a box of machine parts shipped residence to residence is really the way to go doesn't it.

·
Banned
714 Posts
If the father ships the long arms to NY for legal purposes that he will conduct, such as for a planned hunting trip, then shipping them to himself in care of another person, such as his son is legal if it comples with all other applicable laws and NYS DEC may have some laws relative to this issue. The son should not open them once he receives them (this last part right out of the ATF FAQ).

If the dad is shipping them here, so as to be able to come here later, then says - 'oh by the way, while I was there I decided to transfer ownership of my guns to my son', I would think an even half intelligent law enforcement officer might see the original shipment as a way to try to illegally circumvent the law requiring the transfer be made through an FFL when going interstate. If that became the case, then both could reasonably expect to be arrested and prosecuted especially in light of how many guns are being transported and that this is NY State where such things make big news and bigger politics. In addition, authorities could use this thread as evidence of intent to transfer the weapons as opposed to actually shipping them here to legally hunt with them.

You might just be much better off checking with the ATF on this one. They almost always have been pretty helpful when I had questions about shipping interstate. You can also check with a knowledgeable FFL licensee in your area.

In addition, if you check with ATF on federal laws, bear in mind that NY state, many NY counties and some NY municipalities, such as Rochester, have their own laws, rules and regulations that must be followed relative to firearms. I am not sure they cover interstate transportation and or shipping of long arms in general but it would be worth checking to keep it legal and thus keep yourself out of hot water and jail. You can find state laws on the ATF website. Those for NY, at least those for 2009-2010 (the most recent I found on their site) are at
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-5-2011/2009-30th-edition.pdf . Th NY State portion is about 29 pages long and contains laws and regulations for NYS in general as well as for some counties and municipalities within the state.

All the best,
Glenn B

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Ya, prolly right on that.
I wasn't thinking of it that way. More along the lines of knowing when a package is going to arrive and pretty much sitting on the front step of the shop to collect it once its handed off to the shop.
Sort of 'only there for 3 seconds' kind of thing.

One way to find out for sure though: ask the local FFL's what/how they would go about it as regardless of what we think or the sometimes vauge nuances of law and policy, they aren't going to do anything that they don't want to do regardless of it being legal or costing them business.

Looks more and more like a box of machine parts shipped residence to residence is really the way to go doesn't it.
+1. Machine parts lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts