New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The diverse menagerie that is Hemlock Ridge MUA gave again. Today, I was visited by a feral house cat.

I know some hunters will shoot feral cats on sight. What is your take?

·
Registered
850 Posts
I say take them out if feral. I am not waiting for a sick one to attack my kids. I have a cat now crapping in my kids sandbox. I'll trap that one someday, that cat is someone's pet locally. I hate it when people let their cat out.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Go to any pound this time of year and they have 100's of kittens, cats for adoption. Check behind any large store and you'll find cats sooner or later. Cats have become the disposable pet, get fed up with kitty, dump them some where. I'd pick off a cat now and then with a pellet rifle, don't care where it came from, if it's outside it's "Wild" and thus a practice target.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
invasive nuisance - shoot on site - not mine , not my neighbors , not alive
Edit: I guess it would depend on location - I live far enough out that there won't be a random pet wanderin' through my yard ... there used to be a couple of empty buildings that cats had made their home in ... I think they may have been left by previous occupants - have a hearts weren't making a dent so lead was sent

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
a few feral cats running arounds not such a bad thing, there's a few in my neibhorhood haven't seen a chipmunk all summer or a field mouse in years

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Go to any pound this time of year and they have 100's of kittens, cats for adoption. Check behind any large store and you'll find cats sooner or later. Cats have become the disposable pet, get fed up with kitty, dump them some where. I'd pick off a cat now and then with a pellet rifle, don't care where it came from, if it's outside it's "Wild" and thus a practice target.
Yes let's just shoot every cat we see that's incredibly logical. Do you WANT bubonic plague?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I'd have to say your answer lies within the jumbled words of the thread title.. They were misplaced pets that became invasive nuisances

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Cats shouldn't be let outside without a leash. If dogs are off their leash destroying my property or animals, they deserve to get shot, just like a cat.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I'm sure cats are destroying your property :rolleyes:
Actually, cats do a great deal of damage to the wildlife. They have been responsible for causing the extinction of a number of songbirds are the globe.

I have found songbirds, rabbits, and even young turkey poults killed by cats around here. It's quite annoying, but I have been seeing fewer cats over the years as the coyote population continues to grow.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
I'm sure cats are destroying your property :rolleyes:
You do realize that they are a rabies vector species right? They can carry the virus and not show any signs of having it.

Cats in the US kill 15 billion animals per year. A house cat kills, on average, 2 animals per week. A feral cat kills many more than that. They dig up flower beds and gardens, chase and kill native game like pheasants and quail, and are a menace.

It's not OK for a dog to roam around the neighborhood unsupervised, why is it OK for a cat?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts