New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Caine for President! I want a fun pass too.

Thanks for sharing. This made my day!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
"I used to like matchbox cars... when I was little" LOL Hell, I STILL play with mine, and i'm 30!

Sweet story though, thanks for sharing!

I wish this forum had one of those "cool" meters where other members can rate you, cause i'd give you like a +10 right now. I love sappy stories that make me think we might just make it

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Great story!!! Thanks for posting it!! I'd never leave the store!!! This kid is going places with a mind like his!! He just proved that simplicity is a beautiful thing!!!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Awesome. And 1.4 Million views in 4 days? Damn.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
This kid is a genius!

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Gotta love this kid!

Caine's Arcade: After the cameras leave, Caine's making cash - latimes.com

"A scholarship fund for Caine, set up by Mullick, got $140,000 in online donations from people moved by the film, and TMZ reported that Caine made such an impression on the owner of the pinball machine store Pins and Needles that she gave him a pinball machine worth thousands of dollars for free.

But by Friday, the whirlwind had started to die down. No television crews were lined up outside Caine's dad's auto parts shop in Boyle Heights, where Caine built the arcade last summer. It was the first time that had happened in days.

Still, Caine, dressed in his custom-made Caine's Arcade sweatshirt, wasn't feeling blue now that his 15 minutes had started to fade. After all, fame was never the point. Caine is interested in customers.

Paying customers.

Caine's dad, George, said Caine has always had a knack for spotting money making opportunities - buying trendy rubber bracelets for 99 cents on eBay and selling them for $5 at swap meets, or turning an old skateboard and a cardboard box into a roaming vending machine where he sold Kit Kats, bottled water and potato chips for a dollar.

Despite the rain and the cold, and the fact that there is no heat in the front of his dad's store, Caine had seven paying customers at his arcade at 3 on a Friday afternoon, including a father and daughter who heard about the arcade via Facebook, an artist who lives in the neighborhood who heard Brian Williams talking about it on NBC and two college students who found the video on Tumblr.

Caine was running two games at a time - audibly counting off the 20 seconds he gives players to play each game, calculator in hand to keep track of how many turns one player had left on his 500-turn fun pass.

Devon Gomez, a 20-year-old college student who was battling the homemade claw machine, asked how many tickets he'd need to win a box of four Angry Birds stuffed animals sitting on the counter.

"Don't even think about it," said Caine. "20,000 tickets. You'd need 5,000 tickets for just one."

"You have to watch your wallet with this kid," Gomez said.

Caine just grinned and asked if he wanted another turn."

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
I had goosebumps watching this. This is a great story and one worth being shared. I am so moved. Last I checked the child's scholarship fund was over $153000. I can see him continuing to make an impact on people for a very, very long time.
Thank you for posting this.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
ill agree caine for president!

this kid has a better chance of alleviating the national debt than most adults!

wow i needed this , its been a bad morning and i had to go with marshal to evict some of my familys tennants today due to their not paying. i feel like a jerk but at least im smiling a bit

its nice to see a young kid with his eyes on the prize. i doubt "giving him" 140000 will help him at all for university
i think he is gonna beat that with his little enterprises!

when my brother was a kid he used to do the same thing on side of road by his house (police dont bug little kids selling water bottles and soda if they get a free one once in while,hell ct did not pay that well)
i used to joke at him for doing it and acting beneth himself , now i work for him!

its in the blood his father is a enrapture, he realized that the parts market goes down hill and he starts an internet parts buisness

MAKING A LIVING MUCH LIKE LIFE RELIES ON YOUR ABILITY TO ADAPT, CAINE HAS PROVED THIS

if i was this kids dad i would open a real arcade and allow his son to work it
he could move his inventory farther back since its mostly internet now anyway
he could contact any vending service to have machines installed free and only pay 50 percent of intake to vending company for rental

Gotta love this kid!

Caine's Arcade: After the cameras leave, Caine's making cash - latimes.com

"A scholarship fund for Caine, set up by Mullick, got $140,000 in online donations from people moved by the film, and TMZ reported that Caine made such an impression on the owner of the pinball machine store Pins and Needles that she gave him a pinball machine worth thousands of dollars for free.

But by Friday, the whirlwind had started to die down. No television crews were lined up outside Caine's dad's auto parts shop in Boyle Heights, where Caine built the arcade last summer. It was the first time that had happened in days.

Still, Caine, dressed in his custom-made Caine's Arcade sweatshirt, wasn't feeling blue now that his 15 minutes had started to fade. After all, fame was never the point. Caine is interested in customers.

Paying customers.

Caine's dad, George, said Caine has always had a knack for spotting money making opportunities - buying trendy rubber bracelets for 99 cents on eBay and selling them for $5 at swap meets, or turning an old skateboard and a cardboard box into a roaming vending machine where he sold Kit Kats, bottled water and potato chips for a dollar.

Despite the rain and the cold, and the fact that there is no heat in the front of his dad's store, Caine had seven paying customers at his arcade at 3 on a Friday afternoon, including a father and daughter who heard about the arcade via Facebook, an artist who lives in the neighborhood who heard Brian Williams talking about it on NBC and two college students who found the video on Tumblr.

Caine was running two games at a time - audibly counting off the 20 seconds he gives players to play each game, calculator in hand to keep track of how many turns one player had left on his 500-turn fun pass.

Devon Gomez, a 20-year-old college student who was battling the homemade claw machine, asked how many tickets he'd need to win a box of four Angry Birds stuffed animals sitting on the counter.

"Don't even think about it," said Caine. "20,000 tickets. You'd need 5,000 tickets for just one."

"You have to watch your wallet with this kid," Gomez said.

Caine just grinned and asked if he wanted another turn."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts