New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every one of the country's mass shooters since January 2009 could have slipped through NICS, according to a July 2014 study by the gun control organization Everytown for Gun Safety.
For example, David Cornell Bennett Jr. - a 22-year-old who killed his ex-girlfriend and her three children in Parsons, Kansas, in 2013 - was sent to a state psychiatric hospital one month before the shooting. He had posted a threatening message on Facebook that had been flagged to local police.

Federal Program Fails To Keep Mentally Ill From Guns | Florida Center for Investigative Reporting

·
Registered
480 Posts
That's not good. The best chance for fending off over-regulation of citizens' right to bear arms is a system that accurately keeps out those that would commit serious crimes with them (and nobody else.)

NICS meets the three criteria that I need to support universal checks:
1) It's quick (there is no undue delay.)
2) It's free (even the founding fathers wouldn't want 2A to be a right of the wealthy.)
3) It tracks those who cannot own a firearm, not those who can/do.

We should all want it to do (3) as well as possible. Every time it fails, we see that (in addition to pointless deaths that nobody wants) anti-gun support rises.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Defining mentally ill..thats the problem. All progressives are mentally ill thats my opinion...see how that works?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Defining mentally ill..thats the problem. All progressives are mentally ill thats my opinion...see how that works?
Nah. A lot of them are well intentioned, but just don't understand the actual effects that their desired policies would have. That's naive, not mentally ill.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't think the mental health commitment data is getting into the NICS system in some states. I am not sure if every state is submitting it or if there are penalties for not submitting the data. I doubt it is being monitored that well. I work in a NY hospital and the mental hygiene data is certainly being submitted to the NICS system and the state tracks it as well.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
That's not good. The best chance for fending off over-regulation of citizens' right to bear arms is a system that accurately keeps out those that would commit serious crimes with them (and nobody else.)

NICS meets the three criteria that I need to support universal checks:
1) It's quick (there is no undue delay.)
2) It's free (even the founding fathers wouldn't want 2A to be a right of the wealthy.)
3) It tracks those who cannot own a firearm, not those who can/do.

We should all want it to do (3) as well as possible. Every time it fails, we see that (in addition to pointless deaths that nobody wants) anti-gun support rises.
Part of the problem with supporting background checks is that the antis always manage to include gun details for tracking and registration purposes in with background checks. NICS is a good system and it is separate from the ATF regulations on FFLs, but background check proposals always seem to imply that somehow the 4473 done at a FFL and NICS are somehow tied together.

It would be a relatively simple technical matter to create an electronic program that created a document that detailed a gun transaction, but none of that info would need to be submitted to NICS. If the antis were really serious about UBC they would separate checks from tracking/registration and open up NICs to the public.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.